Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2.97 seconds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
And I coaching adjustments to fix the situation....

Clearly, Schwartz needed help with Wake. It appeared to me that the Browns gave Richardson the assignment of helping Schwartz with chip blocks. On multiple occasions, Richardson failed pretty badly with his blocking, sometimes never even getting into proper position. I'm guessing that's why Richardson didn't see the field as much on passing plays.

I think that might be worse....

Take who is supposedly your best offensive player on the field and essentially take him completely out of the offensive.... Versus adding a TE to right hand side and/or slanting the blocking scheme?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Clearly, Schwartz needed help with Wake. It appeared to me that the Browns gave Richardson the assignment of helping Schwartz with chip blocks. On multiple occasions, Richardson failed pretty badly with his blocking, sometimes never even getting into proper position. I'm guessing that's why Richardson didn't see the field as much on passing plays.

Take who is supposedly your best offensive player on the field and essentially take him completely out of the offensive.... Versus adding a TE to right hand side and/or slanting the blocking scheme?

Didn't say I agreed with it. Just telling you what I saw.

I place a little blame on the coaches, but not a lot. Between the sub-par performances of Cousins, Schwartz, Little, Weeden, and to a lesser extent Benji and T-Rich, it's pretty damn hard to install adjustments that will work.

Hopefully, it was a one-week crapfest for some of these players, and they can turn it around quickly with a good performance. I was particularly disappointed with Little and Schwartz. I don't even want to talk about Cousins.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Didn't say I agreed with it. Just telling you what I saw.

I place a little blame on the coaches, but not a lot. Between the sub-par performances of Cousins, Schwartz, Little, Weeden, and to a lesser extent Benji and T-Rich, it's pretty damn hard to install adjustments that will work.

Hopefully, it was a one-week crapfest for some of these players, and they can turn it around quickly with a good performance. I was particularly disappointed with Little and Schwartz. I don't even want to talk about Cousins.

Agree.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question....

wouldn't screens and draws slow down the pass rush,
and get Trich in space?
Entropy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kkaptur12 wrote:
Stupid question....

wouldn't screens and draws slow down the pass rush,
and get Trich in space?

The few screens they tried were blown up either by penetration of the screen or pressure on the QB.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's hard to get a team to bite on the run fake when you never commit to the run game. Miami ran the ball 10 more times than we did in the game, and they averaged less than a yard per carry. I'd love to see the screen game used effectively. Trent is the ideal guy for it, if we can find a way to use it effectively.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketheadsdad wrote:
Man, I thought this was someone who had started a "Honeymoon" Shocked thread and that it was going to end up getting locked, or sent to the HornbyHobbit thread.

My honey moon was about 42 years ago. I can't think that far back. Like how you think though.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2ThaIzzo wrote:
it's hard to get a team to bite on the run fake when you never commit to the run game. Miami ran the ball 10 more times than we did in the game, and they averaged less than a yard per carry. I'd love to see the screen game used effectively. Trent is the ideal guy for it, if we can find a way to use it effectively.

I agree, but here's the thing. At the beginning of the game, Miami was playing standard 7 guys in the run box. We had success running the ball. They moved the 8th guy into the box (pretty much every play). Chud/Norv started calling plays to get that 8th (sometimes 9th) guy out of the run box. We simply didn't execute enough to get Miami to change it.

We were all quick to call Shurmur an idiot, but he always tried the same thing. The opposing defense would stack the box, and we would call pass plays to get them to loosen up. We couldn't consistently make them pay for it, so they kept stacking the box. Until Weeden (and everyone else) can consistently execute some downfield passes, defenses will keep doing what they've done for years against us.

There was plenty of blame to go around last week, but if I had to pick the single biggest reason we lost, I would pick the poor execution of our pass plays.

bigjohnson2009

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
H2ThaIzzo wrote:

I agree, but here's the thing. At the beginning of the game, Miami was playing standard 7 guys in the run box. We had success running the ball. They moved the 8th guy into the box (pretty much every play). Chud/Norv started calling plays to get that 8th (sometimes 9th) guy out of the run box. We simply didn't execute enough to get Miami to change it.

We were all quick to call Shurmur an idiot, but he always tried the same thing. The opposing defense would stack the box, and we would call pass plays to get them to loosen up. We couldn't consistently make them pay for it, so they kept stacking the box. Until Weeden (and everyone else) can consistently execute some downfield passes, defenses will keep doing what they've done for years against us.

There was plenty of blame to go around last week, but if I had to pick the single biggest reason we lost, I would pick the poor execution of our pass plays.

It's pretty sad that over 14 years have gone by and it's essentially been the same issue the entire time. We look every which way to play the blame game, but there's no doubt. We need a legit QB. It's hard to find one, but that's simply the issue. No coincidence that the "best" coaches all have the best QBs. Just sad we can't seem to find one, because if we did the city would embrace him as a god.

I mean even a decent QB would be nice. At least Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton good. Sad we've consistently failed to get one. Maybe because we haven't taken one early since Couch? Using the #22 pick on one is a [inappropriate/removed] poor excuse for an attempt to find the one thing we've been longing for.

mike23md on the sig!
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjohnson2009 wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
H2ThaIzzo wrote:

It's pretty sad that over 14 years have gone by and it's essentially been the same issue the entire time. We look every which way to play the blame game, but there's no doubt. We need a legit QB. It's hard to find one, but that's simply the issue. No coincidence that the "best" coaches all have the best QBs. Just sad we can't seem to find one, because if we did the city would embrace him as a god.

I mean even a decent QB would be nice. At least Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton good. Sad we've consistently failed to get one. Maybe because we haven't taken one early since Couch? Using the #22 pick on one is a [inappropriate/removed] poor excuse for an attempt to find the one thing we've been longing for.

I agree with you except for the end of what you wrote. Since '99, I'm pretty sure we are the only team in the league who has used 3 1st rounders on QB's (Couch, Quinn, and Weeden). Granted, the only high 1st rounder was Couch, but we haven't failed at finding a QB for lack of spending high picks. Plenty of good/great QB's weren't high 1st rounders (Dalton, Flacco, Kaepernick, Brady, Schaub, Romo, Rodgers, Brees, and Russell Wilson, just to name some).

I'm not ready to throw dirt on Weeden yet, but he needs to get it together and start fixing his flaws. Just when he looks like he's progressing, he takes a step back. His leash is not long.

bigjohnson2009

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
bigjohnson2009 wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
H2ThaIzzo wrote:

I agree with you except for the end of what you wrote. Since '99, I'm pretty sure we are the only team in the league who has used 3 1st rounders on QB's (Couch, Quinn, and Weeden). Granted, the only high 1st rounder was Couch, but we haven't failed at finding a QB for lack of spending high picks. Plenty of good/great QB's weren't high 1st rounders (Dalton, Flacco, Kaepernick, Brady, Schaub, Romo, Rodgers, Brees, and Russell Wilson, just to name some).

I'm not ready to throw dirt on Weeden yet, but he needs to get it together and start fixing his flaws. Just when he looks like he's progressing, he takes a step back. His leash is not long.

I honestly think he's just not mentally cut out for it. A) for the pressure and B) just general intelligence. It's a super heady position. Most are very smart or naturally very football smart. His week 1 performances tell me he gets in his own head when he builds the game up. He's a rhythm passer and his slow starts from probable nervousness just lead to a piled on terrible game. Part of me wishes chip Kelly came here and we signed Vick. Mike has many flaws but he has the mental toughness where we could've at least been watchable this season. I typed this on my phone so it probably makes no sense, but the my 2 cent ramble on weeden. I think he's toast honestly. I handicap him at 5% to start week 1 next year.

mike23md on the sig!
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.97 might be a nice average and plent of time for a QB to make a decision, but when you fail to give a QB even 2 seconds on just 4 or 5 plays it makes the entire situation worse. You can give a QB 15 seconds on 55 plays but if he doesn't have time to even get his first read on 5 plays then the entire game can be ruined despite winning on over 91 percent of your plays.

Jamison on the sig
cattleman78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
2.97 might be a nice average and plent of time for a QB to make a decision, but when you fail to give a QB even 2 seconds on just 4 or 5 plays it makes the entire situation worse. You can give a QB 15 seconds on 55 plays but if he doesn't have time to even get his first read on 5 plays then the entire game can be ruined despite winning on over 91 percent of your plays.

I agree wholeheartedly. I said the line played poorly but not quite as poorly as made out to be. I placed the blame on the poor play of the line, the q.b. and receivers. Could maybe even blame the coaches. Even though we led 7-6 at half time we came out flat.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: