Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hankerson- "Everyone must improve"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:

The offense did stink, the only point I'm making is that the defense hardly played well. What's left out here is that including their FG, the Eagles ran the 1st 19 plays of the game. So, the disparity in the number of plays each team ran & POS was largely a product of the defense & was established right at the beginning of the game. Both drives started at their 20 yard line, yet 15 of those plays were ran in Redskin territory. This is all somehow the fault of the offense? It's complete BS! At halftime, the Redskins had 7 pts off turnovers, the Eagles 9, if you include the safety. I do agree that Special Teams didn't help either. But that doesn't support initial contention made by Hankerson, it refutes it all the more. Lastly, this all suggests that when the Redskin offense plays well and scores, the defense shuts down the opposition... which is complete nonsense. Since the latter part of 2011, this defense has routinely gotten shredded whether the offense scored or not.
Again. I would say you're taking Hankerson's quote out of context. He said the entire team must improve, he is saying the offense must improve MORE. Which is clear, as Mknight said in another thread, the defense played well enough to win, the offense and special teams did not. W/O the defense we aren't even within 26 points in the first half.

I just get this feeling most redskins fans are much harder in critiquing the defense over the past several years than the offense, which is the total opposite of what it was last decade.

Last decade everything was always the offenses fault to some, now some point to the defense more than often, when clearly all three phases of the team have a shared responsibility in the Eagle loss.

The offensive and defensive game plans were bad from the start. IMO

The decision to start EJ Biggers at SS and go with basically a dime defense against Chip Kelly (one of the best run offense college coaches of all time) was just straight up idiotic.

The skins should have been in their base D with Doughty playing SS.

We got beat because we couldn't stop the run, not because they burned us time after time on the pass. Having Doughty in there and us run blitzing more often with Riley would have stopped them from running it down our throats and made them mostly one dimensional.

I'm not saying Riley had a bad game, I said I thought they could have blitzed him more and had more success disrupting the run/read option and getting pressure on Vick.

It's true that the Eagles had two long drives which started at their 20 but one of them resulted in the Kerrigan causing an incomplete pass that turned out to be a lateral, which Hall picked up and took in for a TD. One of them they kicked a 48 yd FG.

The Redskins get the ball and Morris fumbles on his first carry and the first offensive play of the game. The time of possession at that point was 5:45 to basically zero for us.

Then, Vick throws a TD pass to give them the lead which happens because we have a CB (Biggers) playing SS and he vacated the zone he shouldn't have and left DJax wide open. Hall realized too late and couldn't make up for it. I'm not saying Doughty would have been able to cover DJax, but he wouldn't have made that mental mistake and that's why you don't play players out of position- especially when you have you're best tacking secondary member on the sidelines.

The Redskins then get the ball back but not in good field position because of Chris Thompson's constantly bad decisions as a return man. The missed blocks, turnovers and penalties continue and the offense keeps the defense on the field.

Most of what happened to the defense Monday night was a result of poor special teams decisions by Thompson on returns and then turnovers by the offense.

If the offense doesn't turn it over, Thompson lets the punt bounce into the end-zone, and he doesn't bring out kickoffs when there's nothing there, then Doughty starts and we don't go nickel all game and we do a better job shutting down the Eagles run game, we don't lose this game IMO.

If the offense can't posses the ball, especially vs the Chip Kelly offense- the defense has no chance. Our defense was gassed because the offense kept turning the ball over.

You can't expect the defense to be supermen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: