Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hankerson- "Everyone must improve"
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63234
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Hankerson- "Everyone must improve" Reply with quote

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Hankerson-Everyone-Has-To-Improve/9240da69-63b1-43fb-b78a-295ddc2777bd

I love the approach these young guys have. Hankerson is not satisfied, despite having a solid first game.

His 6 receptions for 50 yards and 2 TDs were a welcome site for all Redskins fans. I only remember once, maybe twice where one of his targets could have been considered a drop but I'm not sure it would have been because one of them would have been another spectacular one handed Hank catch.

Still though, he must know overall that he performed well, but the team didn't and that's what he's more focused on, and that's a great thing.

We have a great nucleus of young guys who are high character guys, hard workers and want to be the best. I'm glad to see it.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
markrc99


Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote: "Still though, he must know overall that he performed well, but the team didn't and that's what he's more focused on, and that's a great thing."

Does he say that? Perhaps he says as such in the video, but if he does, it's contradicted by what he's quoted as saying:

"We let the defense down because they played well." ... "We didnít keep [the defense] off the field," he said. "With them being on the field as long as they were, they kept on getting tight. As an offense, we didnít do our job at all and we let them down."

So he's saying the defense showed up and "played well"? Obviously, Leonard Hankerson is on drugs! I can accept if what he means is that the offense has to carry this team, the defense can't be expected to. The early game I watched on Sunday was Tampa @ NY and Geno Smith was literally running for his life! They couldn't protect him, he was even their leading rusher with 49 yds. Now, I was impressed with Smith but it appeared to me that he lined up w/o the playbook at his disposal. Marty Mornhinweg kept trying to have him pass on 1st down but Tampa was all over it. They kept rushing him, frequently blitzing on 1st down. To say the Jets struggled offensively would be an understatement. Even though they were at home, up until the remaining seconds of the game, that offense had produced a mere 13 pts. However, a good run by Smith, a personal foul on Tampa & a long FG by the Jets kicker won that game! Why? Because their defense kept them in it! That's what good defenses are able to do. I don't know who the leader of this Redskin defense is, but I would think he'd step up, own it & vow to play better this coming week. All I can say is, if that was a good performance I'd hate to see what a bad game looks like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian23


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 6803
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno...I doubt the Jets O let Tampa get 50 plays off in the first half because they kept turning the ball over.

Our D isn't great, but its not terrible. They're gonna be pedestrian and they got beat because they weren't allowed to stay off the field, not that they couldn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Geronimo


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 322
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, our defense made mistakes, but our offense was awful (4 TO in one half).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S. Taylor


Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 11264
Location: By the Lake
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many long drives did the Eagles even have?
After the first few series, the defense did a good job of containing them.

LeSean is unstoppable, but Orakpo and Rambo are also terrible form tacklers.

I think the defense played well.
I don't have the stats to back it, but it seems as if a majority of their scoring opportunities came off great field positioning. That great field positioning came from sloppy offensive plays (2 INTs, 1 fumble, 1 safety).



Anyway, when a team loses, everyone needs to clamp down and get better.
I'm a big fan of Hankerson and I truly hope this is the season he surpasses Joshua Morgan on the depth chart. Truly, there's no reason he shouldn't become a solid WR2.
_________________
"The key to life is working harder than your situation. Work harder than your situation..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Brian23


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 6803
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
How many long drives did the Eagles even have?
After the first few series, the defense did a good job of containing them.

LeSean is unstoppable, but Orakpo and Rambo are also terrible form tacklers.

I think the defense played well.
I don't have the stats to back it, but it seems as if a majority of their scoring opportunities came off great field positioning. That great field positioning came from sloppy offensive plays (2 INTs, 1 fumble, 1 safety).



Anyway, when a team loses, everyone needs to clamp down and get better.
I'm a big fan of Hankerson and I truly hope this is the season he surpasses Joshua Morgan on the depth chart. Truly, there's no reason he shouldn't become a solid WR2.


Rambo's improved immensely in the last 3 or 4 games. And Rak's played what...2 games in the last 2 years at this point? I think it'll take a bit before he gets back to form, though I don't think he'll ever be a Doughty like player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63234
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:
Come on, our defense made mistakes, but our offense was awful (4 TO in one half).
exactly! The only reason the Eagles scored so much in the first 3 quarters was because our offense did nothing had four turnovers and Chris Thompson is not a smart return man. (Hey rookie! This isn't the ACC anymore!) don't bring out Kickoffs, we need to be at the 20 so our offense isn't backed up and don't fair catch punts at the 4! Shocked

I'm not going to sit here and say our D played well- it didn't, but offense was far worse and if someone believes different, they need to rewatch the game, I did last night and our defense provided the only points for us for nearly the first 3 quarters.

Also IMO, a big problem with our D was w cause we started Biggers at safety instead of Reed Doughty. Reed is a sure tackler, Biggers isn't and we needed better tacking against the Eagles with McCoy and Vick who are 2 of the hardest players to bring down in the NFL.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63234
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
turtle28 wrote: "Still though, he must know overall that he performed well, but the team didn't and that's what he's more focused on, and that's a great thing."

Does he say that? Perhaps he says as such in the video, but if he does, it's contradicted by what he's quoted as saying:

"We let the defense down because they played well." ... "We didnít keep [the defense] off the field," he said. "With them being on the field as long as they were, they kept on getting tight. As an offense, we didnít do our job at all and we let them down."

So he's saying the defense showed up and "played well"? Obviously, Leonard Hankerson is on drugs! I can accept if what he means is that the offense has to carry this team, the defense can't be expected to. The early game I watched on Sunday was Tampa @ NY and Geno Smith was literally running for his life! They couldn't protect him, he was even their leading rusher with 49 yds. Now, I was impressed with Smith but it appeared to me that he lined up w/o the playbook at his disposal. Marty Mornhinweg kept trying to have him pass on 1st down but Tampa was all over it. They kept rushing him, frequently blitzing on 1st down. To say the Jets struggled offensively would be an understatement. Even though they were at home, up until the remaining seconds of the game, that offense had produced a mere 13 pts. However, a good run by Smith, a personal foul on Tampa & a long FG by the Jets kicker won that game! Why? Because their defense kept them in it! That's what good defenses are able to do. I don't know who the leader of this Redskin defense is, but I would think he'd step up, own it & vow to play better this coming week. All I can say is, if that was a good performance I'd hate to see what a bad game looks like.
we're talking about Hankerson here. How exactly did you turn this conversation into another bash on the defense and on an analysis of the Bucs v Jets game which none of us care about. Confused

And I'd rather not talk in a manner of our players being on drugs- too much of a history there.

Since we're not going to talk about Hank in this thread, I guess I'll take the bait like I always do (I'm a bad fish) and talk about the D with you. It's clear this is a classic case of Hank giving props to the defense for making some plays and trying to keep them in the game despite the offense constantly letting the D be on the field for nearly all of the first 3 quarters. Considering the time of possession after three quarters, which had to be 30 min to 15 min- at the most, I think our D played ok vs an offense no one had ever faced in the regular season before.

The two problems I had with our defense were two things that didn't have anything to do with the players. It was coaching decisions.

1. Starting Biggers at SS instead of Doughty- who's our best DB tackler- was a huge mistake by Morris and Haslett and it really hurt us vs the run and in tackling after the wrs caught the ball.

2. I have no clue why they didn't come out and do blitzes up the A gap with Riley from the start or corner blitzes. They did in in the second half and it worked. If they had run blitzed on run downs from the get go, the Eagles O wouldn't have been as effective.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63234
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
How many long drives did the Eagles even have?
After the first few series, the defense did a good job of containing them.

LeSean is unstoppable, but Orakpo and Rambo are also terrible form tacklers.

I think the defense played well.
I don't have the stats to back it, but it seems as if a majority of their scoring opportunities came off great field positioning. That great field positioning came from sloppy offensive plays (2 INTs, 1 fumble, 1 safety).

Anyway, when a team loses, everyone needs to clamp down and get better.
I'm a big fan of Hankerson and I truly hope this is the season he surpasses Joshua Morgan on the depth chart. Truly, there's no reason he shouldn't become a solid WR2.
In the first half it seemed that of the Eagles 53 plays the Eagles ran, 35 to 40 of them were on our side of the field. Our D and special teams totally screwed the D up until the final drive before the 4th quarter and in the 4th quarter.

We had Thompson fair catch a punt at the 4, and take two deep kick offs out that he shouldn't have. We had 3 drives start inside the 13 and one inside the 5. Then they either turned it over or did nothing with the ball. Rocca had a free kick that I think got to the eagles 30 at best, he shanked a punt which have the eagles the ball on our side of the field again and Kai Forbath missed a Fg.... Ohhh how I long for the days of Danny Smith! Laughing

Yes, the D didn't do a great job, but as you said most of it want there fault other than them giving up the long opening drive to the eagles and the scoring, which meant that they had to go back on the field and they couldn't get the Eagles off the field again.

I really feel they should have come out blitzing the hell out of Vick and doing it up the middle like a run blitz because their offense -much like ours- is predicated off of having a successful run game to set up the passing game.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 20005
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
We had Thompson fair catch a punt at the 4, and take two deep kick offs out that he shouldn't have. We had 3 drives start inside the 13 and one inside the 5. Then they either turned it over or did nothing with the ball. Rocca had a free kick that I think got to the eagles 30 at best, he shanked a punt which have the eagles the ball on our side of the field again and Kai Forbath missed a Fg.... Ohhh how I long for the days of Danny Smith! Laughing


Rocca ... had a weak leg? Say it ain't so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
markrc99


Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote: "How exactly did you turn this conversation into another bash on the defense and on an analysis of the Bucs v Jets game which none of us care about. ... I have no clue why they didn't come out and do blitzes up the A gap with Riley from the start or corner blitzes. They did [it] in the second half and it worked. If they had run blitzed on run downs from the get go, the Eagles O wouldn't have been as effective."

As I pointed out, you misinterpreted Hankerson's comment. You assumed that when he said "everyone has to improve", he meant the entire team. You of course ignored that & did what you always do, which is resort to insinuations. I didn't bash the defense, I simply set his comment right and disagreed with his ridiculous contention that the defense played well. With respect to Geno Smith & the Jets, I made the point as simple as possible, yet you and another missed it entirely. He threw an errant pass that was intercepted and on another play, trying to elude the rush, had the thing stripped and recovered by Tampa deep in their own end, which resulted in points. The comparison was obvious, the Jets were turning the ball over and playing poorly but that didn't equate to their defense getting taken apart. Your analogy of what occurred defensively is based on the same faulty premise others have made with respect to the offense, what Philly did or didn't do doesn't even remotely factor. Here's a Q & A with Chip Kelly:
Quote:
"Q. You spoke last night of thinking maybe you took the foot off the gas a little too early. You don't want to play hurry up with a 33‑7 lead?
COACH KELLY: "It's a great question. You know, I think part of what we do in our successes is we get into a rhythm. It's almost like trying to get that first first down. It's not as much taking your foot off the gas from the standpoint of the tempo that you play, but it's just maybe play selection, some of those other things. You're conscious of working the clock a little bit because it starts to get into a possession game." http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Full_Transcript_Chip_Kelly_talks_with_media_about_Eagles_win_over_Redskins.html

Just as Dashing noted that defensively, Philly's strategy switched from a pressure to something closer to a prevent, offensively they became more conservative. News@Ten, that's what goes on in every NFL game that gets out of hand. To your point that they should've blitzed Riley more in the 1st half, I can't say. I can go back & look but I don't recall that that's where McCoy got the bulk of his yardage. My understanding is that Riley is one guy who played well, he was often around the ball.

[From a subsequent post] "In the first half it seemed that of the Eagles 53 plays the Eagles ran, 35 to 40 of them were on our side of the field. Our [O] and special teams totally screwed the D up until the final drive before the 4th quarter and in the 4th quarter. We had Thompson fair catch a punt at the 4, and take two deep kick offs out that he shouldn't have. We had 3 drives start inside the 13 and one inside the 5. Then they either turned it over or did nothing with the ball. Rocca had a free kick that I think got to the eagles 30 at best..."

The offense did stink, the only point I'm making is that the defense hardly played well. What's left out here is that including their FG, the Eagles ran the 1st 19 plays of the game. So, the disparity in the number of plays each team ran & POS was largely a product of the defense & was established right at the beginning of the game. Both drives started at their 20 yard line, yet 15 of those plays were ran in Redskin territory. This is all somehow the fault of the offense? It's complete BS! At halftime, the Redskins had 7 pts off turnovers, the Eagles 9, if you include the safety. I do agree that Special Teams didn't help either. But that doesn't support initial contention made by Hankerson, it refutes it all the more. Lastly, this all suggests that when the Redskin offense plays well and scores, the defense shuts down the opposition... which is complete nonsense. Since the latter part of 2011, this defense has routinely gotten shredded whether the offense scored or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 7172
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defense didnt dominate but they played well enough to win. The offense lost this game for us.
_________________

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 6 tackles
Jordan Reed - 1 catch, 4 rec yards, 1 bum hamstring
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dashing


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3875
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly hankerson should start. I never liked morgan as a starter.
_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXTNES_L3s0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJ8_uNMM_I&list=LLRM2s0GoIPWV7foTBLfFMRw&feature=mh_lolz
^^^^I like to I like to I like to ^_^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63234
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Honestly hankerson should start. I never liked morgan as a starter.
Morgan starts because he's the better run blocker. He was very key in Morris and Rg3 having big years rushing last year, specifically RG3 on the edges. Having Morgan blocking out there is like having another TE on the field.

He'll also be a more explosive WR this year because he got the 7 screws taken out of his ankle, but I wouldn't expect it to just magically happen. I think after the first month of the season this offense is going to look as explosive as it did last year but it isn't just going to happen. Rg3 most get his groove back and that takes time, he and these WRs/TEs must get on the same page. When they do though- watch out! We're going to be hard to stop.

I think Hank starts next year and Robinson is our #3. Briscoe will be our #4 and we'll either draft a WR or Lance Lewis or Nick Williams will be the #5.

Morgan and Moss will be gone (depending what it costs to keep them). I think Hank and Robinson are ready to break out, but they aren't quite as good as the vets infront of them but will be soon.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63234
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
We had Thompson fair catch a punt at the 4, and take two deep kick offs out that he shouldn't have. We had 3 drives start inside the 13 and one inside the 5. Then they either turned it over or did nothing with the ball. Rocca had a free kick that I think got to the eagles 30 at best, he shanked a punt which have the eagles the ball on our side of the field again and Kai Forbath missed a Fg.... Ohhh how I long for the days of Danny Smith! Laughing


Rocca ... had a weak leg? Say it ain't so.
weak leg? No...

He shanked it, it happens to all punters every once in a while
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group