Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Conspiracy Theory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why didn't the FO plug obvious holes?
They were content to get their D front seven in place
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
They don't expect to win, didn't want to worsen our draft position
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
They believe/know Weeden isn't the solution and want to conserve assets
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
They are complete idiots and believe the Browns can win with the players they have
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Some other reason and here is what it is:
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author Message
ditchdigger


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 16367
Location: Gahanna, OH
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have know the FO had no idea what they were doing at the CB position when they took McFadden over Mathieu.

This was further reinforced by the lack of pursuit of quality FA CBs like Greg Toler and Keenan Lewis.

Then, to exascerbate the lack of improvement in the secondary, they trade away their chance to get quality depth back there to a division rival, despite the fact that TJ Ward has been injured most of the last two seasons and Gipson was (and still is) an unknown.

I could go on, and maybe I will later today, but right now just thinking about how much Banner and Lombardi screwed this team up by trying to be smarter than everyone else in the league makes me have to poop.
_________________

#FreeJoshGordon
BwickBrownie wrote:
looks like Ditch's infinite wisdom is correct again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estonianzulu


Moderator
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 25538
Location: Middle of Nowhere VA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:

The point I think you are missing is that Grimes was the guy better than Owens. But while waiting for his answer, Owens was the next best option.

This is precisely why I asked you to answer the question. So that you will see that there were no other options IF we were to wait for the answer from Grimes.


Then we should not have waited for an answer to Grimes. They waited, they didn't get Grimes, they were left with a situation where we were worse off because we waited.

I don't miss your point. Your point is that after Grimes said no, Owens was the best option. My point is that they should not have waited for Grimes. They took a risk and missed. Its like only scouting one prospect and then having to gamble on a crapshoot if the team in front of you drafts him.


Quote:

They targeted the best player at several positions, and got their guy with Kruger and Bryant. They targeted Grimes, the best player at his position, and he chose to sign with Miami. You say you don't blame the FO for not landing him.

In order to have a chance at landing him, then needed to submit an offer--then wait for a response. How was this a mistake?


The results prove it was a mistake. At the start of the off season there were a significant number of cornerbacks better than Owens on the market who went for reasonable deals to different teams. At the end of the off-season we ended up with Owens. There is no way to describe that situation as anything but a failure unless their goal was to get Owens, which it was not.

Quote:
Please explain in detail what they Browns should have done to make you happy. It is your lack of this explanation that makes your stance very difficult to understand.


I've been pretty clear in what I think they should have done. Signed a better player than Owens. They tried to sign Grimes, they failed to sign Grimes. Ergo, they failed. And because their backup plan was Owens, we are left with Owens, instead of any of the other players they could have targeted when Grimes left Cleveland without a contract.


Quote:

That's a [inappropriate/removed] answer. How exactly were they supposed to do that?

Again, this is really the crux of any disagreement with your stance.


Lets try and avoid words that need to be filtered. And its a fine answer. You know how they were supposed to do that? The minute they didn't have a contract in hand with Grimes, they should have brought in any of the other corners who were available. Or they should have found a corner in the draft who could fill the need.

Its fine if they only wanted Grimes, if that was their overall plan, then I'm ok with it. But they failed to get him, and are deserving of criticism for that failure.

There's a lot this Front Office has done to congratulate. Kruger and Bryant were both good signings. Deciding on a plan to advance the real building of the team through the draft to next season (though not taking a trade down in the first is questionable if that was their plan, but i can understand it as those things are always totally in the mist of potential) is a bold but understandable move.

However, they can be criticized for failure to improve positions of need, including FS, OG, #2 CB. And we have yet to see contract extensions for players of significant importance to the team (Mack, Ward), which given the sometimes rocky history of resigning talent that Banner had in Phily is a reasonable cause to worry.

Now, if it was a scheme thing and Owens improves, then my criticism is revoked. But so far, it looks like they failed to improve our #2 corner position, my criticism is entirely that they failed to do that. Reasons are irrelevant, the results are all that matter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31017
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
We should have know the FO had no idea what they were doing at the CB position when they took McFadden over Mathieu.

This was further reinforced by the lack of pursuit of quality FA CBs like Greg Toler and Keenan Lewis.

Then, to exascerbate the lack of improvement in the secondary, they trade away their chance to get quality depth back there to a division rival, despite the fact that TJ Ward has been injured most of the last two seasons and Gipson was (and still is) an unknown.

I could go on, and maybe I will later today, but right now just thinking about how much Banner and Lombardi screwed this team up by trying to be smarter than everyone else in the league makes me have to poop.


it was one game into the season and you are saying every move the browns made are worse then every move everyone else made in the league.

do you know how idiotic that sounds?

Look at the addition of Bryant, Grooves, Kruger, Bess, and deciding to make Cameron the starting TE. They all look damn good but you refuse to only highlight the negative aspects of the Browns. Yes DB was a weakness last year, so was LBs. Sunday they looked like they solved the LB depth by signing good to great players. One LB was the best LB on the market in Kruger and the other was a LB who knew the system. The DBs on the martket were nothing to rave home about. You cant solve all the problems in one offseason, specially I dont want to solve a problem by just bring in crap players who dont have a real future on the team. I liked it that they filled the LB issues with a lot of talent


Julio Jones and Harry Douglas both had good games vs the Saints. So K. Lewis didnt look all that great.

Moore and Streeter for the Raiders had a pretty decent outing vs the Colts, so Toler wasnt shutting them down.

So signing either one of them prolly wouldnt of made a huge difference like you makie it out to be. I also believe the talent wasnt the problem to stopping hartline that it was more Scheme then anything to me.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:


I've been pretty clear in what I think they should have done. Signed a better player than Owens. They tried to sign Grimes, they failed to sign Grimes. Ergo, they failed. And because their backup plan was Owens, we are left with Owens, instead of any of the other players they could have targeted when Grimes left Cleveland without a contract.




This is not clear. You have named no player. You have given no specific alternative other than 'do something better'.

You also have been asked to be more specific on a few occasions. There is no further reason to discuss this unless you are willing to clarify your stance beyond 'have different results'.

We get that you dislike the outcome--I don't know who 'loves' it.

But you have shown nothing that shows any reasonable justification for you contempt of the front office. Grimes left Miami without a contract--yet he signed with them.

Miami clearly did nothing wrong by waiting for his decision. This is how the free agent market works.

You also will not be able to prove that had we given up on Grimes (which would also be criticized), it doesn't guarantee that anyone else we gave an offer to would sign with us. And there simply was no better FA option--AND no other long term option at CB.

Your premise is flawed and there is no way around it. And since you're starting to tell me I can't use words that are filtered (that describe a 'flawed premise'), when I have not seem you say any such things in the years I've been reading this forum --I will just say that I believe your judgment in this instance is impaired and I will not discuss it further.

Also, please let us all know if posts like the one dropkick, where he just criticizes a poster, has made several times are going to be allowed by posters that are disagreeing with you.

I think I would like to make some posts about my opinion of him, if that's ok.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pmk


Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 12061
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Miami clearly did nothing wrong by waiting for his decision. This is how the free agent market works.
I think that's the main issue we're arguing here, there is a distinct process to the UFA period and all of the complaints I'm hearing are completely antithetical to how it goes about. There is a worse scenario than what happened, if they put in multiple offers to some of the top tier UDA CBs and they all decide to sign. You can't just offer a player a contract and then change your mind, that's not how the UFA works. What are they supposed to do then when they have a pair of 30 year old CBs eating up 10-15 million in cap space and need to resign Joe Haden?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
big poppa pump


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 1764
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:


I've been pretty clear in what I think they should have done. Signed a better player than Owens. They tried to sign Grimes, they failed to sign Grimes. Ergo, they failed. And because their backup plan was Owens, we are left with Owens, instead of any of the other players they could have targeted when Grimes left Cleveland without a contract.




This is not clear. You have named no player. You have given no specific alternative other than 'do something better'.

You also have been asked to be more specific on a few occasions. There is no further reason to discuss this unless you are willing to clarify your stance beyond 'have different results'.

We get that you dislike the outcome--I don't know who 'loves' it.

But you have shown nothing that shows any reasonable justification for you contempt of the front office. Grimes left Miami without a contract--yet he signed with them.

Miami clearly did nothing wrong by waiting for his decision. This is how the free agent market works.

You also will not be able to prove that had we given up on Grimes (which would also be criticized), it doesn't guarantee that anyone else we gave an offer to would sign with us. And there simply was no better FA option--AND no other long term option at CB.

Your premise is flawed and there is no way around it. And since you're starting to tell me I can't use words that are filtered (that describe a 'flawed premise'), when I have not seem you say any such things in the years I've been reading this forum --I will just say that I believe your judgment in this instance is impaired and I will not discuss it further.

Also, please let us all know if posts like the one dropkick, where he just criticizes a poster, has made several times are going to be allowed by posters that are disagreeing with you.

I think I would like to make some posts about my opinion of him, if that's ok.


I don't know when each one of these corners were signed. I don't really want to dig through and find out. I don't even know if Grimes was the only free agent corner we were targeting. I DO know that it appears that what they did in the draft and free agency does not seem to be working in regards to the cornerback position.


Aqib Talib (Signed one-year, $5M deal with NE)
Brent Grimes (Signed one-year, $5.5M deal with MIA)
Sean Smith (Signed three-year, $16.5M deal with KC)
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Signed one-year, $5M deal with DEN)
Chris Houston (Signed five-year, $25M deal with DET)
Derek Cox (Signed four-year, $20M deal with SD)
Keenan Lewis (Signed five-year, $26M deal with NO)
Nnamdi Asomugha (Signed one-year, $1.35M deal with SF)
Antoine Winfield (Signed one-year, $3M deal with SEA)
Cary Williams (Signed three-year, $17M deal with PHI)
E.J. Biggers (Signed one-year, $1.5M deal with WSH)
Mike Jenkins (Signed one-year, $1.5M deal with OAK)
Bradley Fletcher (Signed two-year, $5.25M deal with PHI)
Dunta Robinson (Signed three-year, $15M deal with KC)
Eric Wright (Signed one-year, $715,001 deal with SF)
Sheldon Brown
Quentin Jammer (Signed one-year, $1.1M deal with DEN)
Brice McCain (Signed three-year, $5.25M deal with HOU)
Leodis McKelvin (Signed four-year, $17M deal with BUF)
Tracy Porter (Signed one-year, $2.5M deal with OAK)
Terence Newman (Signed two-year, $5M deal with CIN)
Kyle Arrington (Signed four-year, $16M deal with NE)
Antoine Cason (Signed one-year, $1.5M deal with ARZ)
DeAngelo Hall (Signed one-year, $1.25M deal with WSH)
Greg Toler (Signed three-year, $14.25M deal with IND)
Aaron Ross (Signed one-year, $715K deal with NYG)
Rashean Mathis (Signed one-year deal with DET)
Jacob Lacey (Signed one-year, $780K deal with MIN)
Pacman Jones (Signed three-year, $5.35M deal with CIN)
Jerraud Powers (Signed three-year, $10.5M deal with ARZ)
Joselio Hanson (Signed one-year, $1M deal with OAK)
Darius Butler (Signed two-year, $4M deal with IND)
Captain Munnerlyn (Signed one-year, $1.1M deal with CAR)
Terrence McGee
Stanford Routt
Marcus Trufant (Signed one-year, $1.005M deal with JAX)
Leigh Bodden
Chris Owens (Signed one-year, $1M deal with CLE)
Phillip Adams (Signed one-year, $630K deal with OAK)
Shawntae Spencer
Kelvin Hayden (Signed one-year, $905K deal with CHI)
William Middleton (Signed one-year deal with SD)
Pat Lee
Cedric Griffin
D.J. Moore (Signed one-year, $715K deal with CAR)
William Gay (Signed three-year, $4.5M deal with PIT)
Jason Allen
Michael Adams (Signed one-year deal with TB)
Drayton Florence (Signed one-year, $1.005M deal with CAR)
Ryan Mouton (Signed one-year deal with WSH)
Zackary Bowman (Signed one-year, $780K deal with CHI)
Michael Coe
Alan Ball (Signed two-year, $2M deal with JAX)
Drew Coleman
Alphonso Smith
Chris Carr (Signed one-year deal with NO)
Chris Johnson (Signed one-year, $905K deal with BAL)
_________________

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estonianzulu


Moderator
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 25538
Location: Middle of Nowhere VA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:

This is not clear. You have named no player. You have given no specific alternative other than 'do something better'.

You also have been asked to be more specific on a few occasions. There is no further reason to discuss this unless you are willing to clarify your stance beyond 'have different results'.


You asked me to name a player better than Grimes, I stated I didn't need to because my argument was that we should have gotten someone better than Owens. As I've said, if their goal was to get Grimes then that is ok because its a reasonable goal. But they failed to do it.

If we work from the premise that getting Grimes was the goal, then I understand why we ended up with Owens, I just don't like it.

If we work from the premise that improving our #2 CB situation (regardless of player) was the goal, then I do think their method and approach was seriously flawed.

Quote:
But you have shown nothing that shows any reasonable justification for you contempt of the front office. Grimes left Miami without a contract--yet he signed with them.


Contempt is too strong a word. I have contempt for Art Modell and LeBron James and a select other few sports figures. I distrust and am uneasy about this front office. I gave them a great deal of credit for their approach to the draft (trading for future picks in a draft which is perceived to be stronger) and their assembly of coaching talent. Just because I am critical of the decisions that have not thus far turned out to be correct does not make me contemptuous of the front office.

I supported a lot of what the previous administration did, but that doesn't mean I had to be in love with the selection of Brandon Weeden. I root for him, and will cheer him at every turn and defend him when he does well (see my posts in the NFL General thread about the pre-season), but that doesn't mean I can not be critical of him or the regime that drafted him.

Quote:
Miami clearly did nothing wrong by waiting for his decision. This is how the free agent market works.


Sure, but we ended up without a quality #2 Corner. I am critical not of the fact that we tried to sign free agents, merely that we took a risk on Grimes and it failed. No different from a busted draft pick or a failed coaching hire.

Quote:
You also will not be able to prove that had we given up on Grimes (which would also be criticized), it doesn't guarantee that anyone else we gave an offer to would sign with us. And there simply was no better FA option--AND no other long term option at CB.


This is true. Its entirely possible that Owens was the only CB interested in coming here. In which case, that sucks and we are in a crappy position and should have tried to find a corner in the draft.

Quote:
Your premise is flawed and there is no way around it.


My premise is we went into the off-season with a need at #2 Corner back, and we came out of the off-season with a need at #2 corner back and that is a sign that the front office failed to fill that need.

Quote:
And since you're starting to tell me I can't use words that are filtered (that describe a 'flawed premise'), when I have not seem you say any such things in the years I've been reading this forum --I will just say that I believe your judgment in this instance is impaired and I will not discuss it further.


I asked if we could avoid using swearwords, its not like I warned you or demanded it. Just like I did not two days ago in the Baltimore game day thread after I went through and manually covered them up in three separate posts. You may not have seen me say such things, but trust me when I tell you in the 5 years I've been a mod for these forums I've told a whole lot of people to clean up the language.

Quote:
Also, please let us all know if posts like the one dropkick, where he just criticizes a poster, has made several times are going to be allowed by posters that are disagreeing with you.


If someone is just criticizing a poster, that is not allowed. Often times I miss them when I get into a discussion. If you feel someone is trolling or attacking you, PM a mod (myself, or any of other Browns forum mods or a global mod you see online if none of us are available) and it can be dealt with.

If you've got any other criticisms of my moderating job please PM me and we can discuss them further.


pmk wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Miami clearly did nothing wrong by waiting for his decision. This is how the free agent market works.
I think that's the main issue we're arguing here, there is a distinct process to the UFA period and all of the complaints I'm hearing are completely antithetical to how it goes about. There is a worse scenario than what happened, if they put in multiple offers to some of the top tier UDA CBs and they all decide to sign. You can't just offer a player a contract and then change your mind, that's not how the UFA works. What are they supposed to do then when they have a pair of 30 year old CBs eating up 10-15 million in cap space and need to resign Joe Haden?


Are you saying that if a player leaves and chooses not to sign your contract, its forever open to that player? That doesn't sound right. Its not like a tender or a tag is it? Otherwise, one player could just sit on a contract offer until the last possible second and then surprise everyone by agreeing. My thought was that there was an offer on the table if Grimes wanted it, but we could always pull that offer if something changed, just like he could reject it.

Also, Grimes only wanted 1 year, so we didnt necessarily have to have a situation with a bunch of old CB's eating up cap space.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MalcolmBrown


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 630
Location: 2013 Adopt a Brownie: Leon McFadden: 1 solo tackle, 1 assist
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion, that you guys are giving yourselves (and me) a headache.

If you don't like how the front office has handled the #2 CB position, realize that we are only 1 game into the season. Ridicule at the state of the team, and who's to blame can't be substantiated after one game. It just sounds like too many of you are of the belief that improvement can't/won't take place throughout the season. A CB was drafted. A CB was signed. And I don't want to sign anyone in FA who just had a torn tendon repaired.

I personally was hoping that Horton would put Haden on Hartline, and Skrine on Wallace because at least Skrine has speed, but Hartline is the overall better receiver. Skrine vs Wallace = 5'9 vs 6'0. Skrine vs Hartline = 5'9 vs 6'2. Joe Haden had 1 tackle. So kudos to those who pointed out that the scheme might have been the problem, I hear you loud and clear.

There's too much talk in this thread about who isn't on this team as opposed to talk about effectively using the guys that we have. Talent means squat if you put your own guys out of position.

Now run tell dat.
_________________
"You mean...this ain't Malcolm Browns car...? ...Damn...my bad..."

Reppin in Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big poppa pump


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 1764
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmBrown wrote:
I'm of the opinion, that you guys are giving yourselves (and me) a headache.

If you don't like how the front office has handled the #2 CB position, realize that we are only 1 game into the season. Ridicule at the state of the team, and who's to blame can't be substantiated after one game. It just sounds like too many of you are of the belief that improvement can't/won't take place throughout the season. A CB was drafted. A CB was signed. And I don't want to sign anyone in FA who just had a torn tendon repaired.

I personally was hoping that Horton would put Haden on Hartline, and Skrine on Wallace because at least Skrine has speed, but Hartline is the overall better receiver. Skrine vs Wallace = 5'9 vs 6'0. Skrine vs Hartline = 5'9 vs 6'2. Joe Haden had 1 tackle. So kudos to those who pointed out that the scheme might have been the problem, I hear you loud and clear.

There's too much talk in this thread about who isn't on this team as opposed to talk about effectively using the guys that we have. Talent means squat if you put your own guys out of position.

Now run tell dat.


If you think Buster Skrine is a number 2 corner in this league after what we saw last year and in game 1, I'm not sure what you are watching. He would have been abused by Wallace worse than Hartline. Run tell dat!!!
_________________

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MalcolmBrown


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 630
Location: 2013 Adopt a Brownie: Leon McFadden: 1 solo tackle, 1 assist
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big poppa pump wrote:
MalcolmBrown wrote:
I'm of the opinion, that you guys are giving yourselves (and me) a headache.

If you don't like how the front office has handled the #2 CB position, realize that we are only 1 game into the season. Ridicule at the state of the team, and who's to blame can't be substantiated after one game. It just sounds like too many of you are of the belief that improvement can't/won't take place throughout the season. A CB was drafted. A CB was signed. And I don't want to sign anyone in FA who just had a torn tendon repaired.

I personally was hoping that Horton would put Haden on Hartline, and Skrine on Wallace because at least Skrine has speed, but Hartline is the overall better receiver. Skrine vs Wallace = 5'9 vs 6'0. Skrine vs Hartline = 5'9 vs 6'2. Joe Haden had 1 tackle. So kudos to those who pointed out that the scheme might have been the problem, I hear you loud and clear.

There's too much talk in this thread about who isn't on this team as opposed to talk about effectively using the guys that we have. Talent means squat if you put your own guys out of position.

Now run tell dat.


If you think Buster Skrine is a number 2 corner in this league after what we saw last year and in game 1, I'm not sure what you are watching. He would have been abused by Wallace worse than Hartline. Run tell dat!!!


After all the talk about Wallace not being a legit #1 receiver?

I actually said in a different thread that Skrine isn't a #2 CB, and I stick by that. But Skrine is fast. But after watching Skrine get gashed over and over by a guy who is not faster than him, wouldn't you think they would try something else instead of letting it happen over and over again?
_________________
"You mean...this ain't Malcolm Browns car...? ...Damn...my bad..."

Reppin in Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MalcolmBrown


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 630
Location: 2013 Adopt a Brownie: Leon McFadden: 1 solo tackle, 1 assist
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmBrown wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:
MalcolmBrown wrote:
I'm of the opinion, that you guys are giving yourselves (and me) a headache.

If you don't like how the front office has handled the #2 CB position, realize that we are only 1 game into the season. Ridicule at the state of the team, and who's to blame can't be substantiated after one game. It just sounds like too many of you are of the belief that improvement can't/won't take place throughout the season. A CB was drafted. A CB was signed. And I don't want to sign anyone in FA who just had a torn tendon repaired.

I personally was hoping that Horton would put Haden on Hartline, and Skrine on Wallace because at least Skrine has speed, but Hartline is the overall better receiver. Skrine vs Wallace = 5'9 vs 6'0. Skrine vs Hartline = 5'9 vs 6'2. Joe Haden had 1 tackle. So kudos to those who pointed out that the scheme might have been the problem, I hear you loud and clear.

There's too much talk in this thread about who isn't on this team as opposed to talk about effectively using the guys that we have. Talent means squat if you put your own guys out of position.

Now run tell dat.


If you think Buster Skrine is a number 2 corner in this league after what we saw last year and in game 1, I'm not sure what you are watching. He would have been abused by Wallace worse than Hartline. Run tell dat!!!


After all the talk about Wallace not being a legit #1 receiver?

I actually said in a different thread that Skrine isn't a #2 CB, and I stick by that. But Skrine is fast. But after watching Skrine get gashed over and over by a guy who is not faster than him, wouldn't you think they would try something else instead of letting it happen over and over again?


Maybe challenge the chemistry of Tannehill and Wallace? I'm saying what they were doing didn't work, so try something else, get creative.
_________________
"You mean...this ain't Malcolm Browns car...? ...Damn...my bad..."

Reppin in Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big poppa pump


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 1764
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmBrown wrote:
MalcolmBrown wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:
MalcolmBrown wrote:
I'm of the opinion, that you guys are giving yourselves (and me) a headache.

If you don't like how the front office has handled the #2 CB position, realize that we are only 1 game into the season. Ridicule at the state of the team, and who's to blame can't be substantiated after one game. It just sounds like too many of you are of the belief that improvement can't/won't take place throughout the season. A CB was drafted. A CB was signed. And I don't want to sign anyone in FA who just had a torn tendon repaired.

I personally was hoping that Horton would put Haden on Hartline, and Skrine on Wallace because at least Skrine has speed, but Hartline is the overall better receiver. Skrine vs Wallace = 5'9 vs 6'0. Skrine vs Hartline = 5'9 vs 6'2. Joe Haden had 1 tackle. So kudos to those who pointed out that the scheme might have been the problem, I hear you loud and clear.

There's too much talk in this thread about who isn't on this team as opposed to talk about effectively using the guys that we have. Talent means squat if you put your own guys out of position.

Now run tell dat.


If you think Buster Skrine is a number 2 corner in this league after what we saw last year and in game 1, I'm not sure what you are watching. He would have been abused by Wallace worse than Hartline. Run tell dat!!!


After all the talk about Wallace not being a legit #1 receiver?

I actually said in a different thread that Skrine isn't a #2 CB, and I stick by that. But Skrine is fast. But after watching Skrine get gashed over and over by a guy who is not faster than him, wouldn't you think they would try something else instead of letting it happen over and over again?


Maybe challenge the chemistry of Tannehill and Wallace? I'm saying what they were doing didn't work, so try something else, get creative.


I can't say for fact, but I doubt that Skrine would have had much better luck against a more talented WR in Wallace. I don't think teams normally put their number 2 corner on a number 1 Wr for chemistry purposes.

You may have said that he is not a number 2 in a different thread, however, it was the FO responsibility to somehow upgrade that position. It has only been 1 game, but we see what Skrine has produced in the past. He is NOT a number 2 corner and they failed in producing 1.
_________________

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickZambo


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 1540
Location: Pittsburgh Browns Backin'
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure week 2 should yield different results and a change of opinion.

Sooo Haden is going to lock down Torrey Smith. Aaaaand Jacoby Jones is hurt, so in essence BAL doesnt have a solid WR #2 to my knowledge (unless you consider Brandon Stokely or Marlon Brown 'solid').

My point, Skrine or Owens should be able to play alright this week against an injured/depth lacking BAL WR corps. Lets just hope McFadden improves his game as the season goes on to get onto the field.
_________________


Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estonianzulu


Moderator
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 25538
Location: Middle of Nowhere VA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
Pretty sure week 2 should yield different results and a change of opinion.

Sooo Haden is going to lock down Torrey Smith. Aaaaand Jacoby Jones is hurt, so in essence BAL doesnt have a solid WR #2 to my knowledge (unless you consider Brandon Stokely or Marlon Brown 'solid').

My point, Skrine or Owens should be able to play alright this week against an injured/depth lacking BAL WR corps. Lets just hope McFadden improves his game as the season goes on to get onto the field.


It'll be nice, lets hope they do play up to the level of Brandon Stockley and Marlon Brown, otherwise we will be in trouble.

The worry with Baltimore will be stopping Ray Rice out of the backfield in space, and containing Dennis Pita
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 20226
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
Pretty sure week 2 should yield different results and a change of opinion.

Sooo Haden is going to lock down Torrey Smith. Aaaaand Jacoby Jones is hurt, so in essence BAL doesnt have a solid WR #2 to my knowledge (unless you consider Brandon Stokely or Marlon Brown 'solid').

My point, Skrine or Owens should be able to play alright this week against an injured/depth lacking BAL WR corps. Lets just hope McFadden improves his game as the season goes on to get onto the field.


It'll be nice, lets hope they do play up to the level of Brandon Stockley and Marlon Brown, otherwise we will be in trouble.

The worry with Baltimore will be stopping Ray Rice out of the backfield in space, and containing Dennis Pita


Dennis Pitta is out for the year
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group