Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Conspiracy Theory
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why didn't the FO plug obvious holes?
They were content to get their D front seven in place
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
They don't expect to win, didn't want to worsen our draft position
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
They believe/know Weeden isn't the solution and want to conserve assets
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
They are complete idiots and believe the Browns can win with the players they have
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Some other reason and here is what it is:
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author Message
bruceb


Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Posts: 6972
Location: Rocky River, OH
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Conspiracy Theory Reply with quote

It's no secret that I tend to see things within things. I called "The Big" a big piece of khara from day one, and he pretty much proved this true through his fail tenure with the Browns.

Let's try this on for size:

Everyone -- all of us, at least -- knew we had big holes at G, CB and arguably S.

The FO had lots of cap space to play with.

There were serviceable (read: Better than Cousins, Skrine and Gipson) players out there to be had. Hell, there almost certainly was talent better than Cousins when we drafted and, for that matter, Gilkey or any large, warm body arguably is better than Cousins.

But the FO didn't use the cap space to plug obvious holes.

Why not, particularly in light of the G and CB contributions to our opening day loss?
_________________
Everything happens exactly the way it is supposed to happen...otherwise, it would happen some other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
candyman93


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 42384
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't expect to have a 3rd string guard to be your starter on opening day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bruceb


Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Posts: 6972
Location: Rocky River, OH
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
You can't expect to have a 3rd string guard to be your starter on opening day.


I like Gilkey but that's not the point of the post.
_________________
Everything happens exactly the way it is supposed to happen...otherwise, it would happen some other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bulldog


Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Posts: 5840
Location: Salem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tried very hard to sign brent grimes.

They liked what they saw in gibson.

Injuries happened to OG.

.......
_________________
2013 First Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 5816
Location: WV
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
You can't expect to have a 3rd string guard to be your starter on opening day.


I like Gilkey but that's not the point of the post.

I think he means the injuries to the other two guards. I still think they should have looked to upgrade that position though if it was available, neither of those two were average.

Haven't voted yet.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgX


Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 10960
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
They tried very hard to sign brent grimes.

They liked what they saw in gibson.

Injuries happened to OG.

.......


This.
_________________
Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee



Smack on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dawgpoun8017


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 12294
Location: Waterloo,NY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear god not this again......
_________________
2013 Joe Blackburn HOF Award Recipient
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 5816
Location: WV
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other reason and here is what it is:

I'm going to say they had a spending limit. I know we are way below the cap but for this year alone we won't be penalized for it. Jimmy has attorney fees he has to cover.

I don't think they sabotaged the season because they spent money on a few players and signed good coordinators.

I don't think they knew exactly what they had, which may be their own fault and that played into not focusing on certain positions.

I think it may be irrelevant, if we smoke Baltimore this week (I know big if) most of us will be back aboard the wildcard contention train. That was game one under a new defensive and offensive scheme with the 2nd youngest team in the NFL. I think it would have been silly (I'm silly) to expect everything to come together right out of the gate.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jimmytruckstop


Joined: 17 Jun 2013
Posts: 515
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They know weeden isn't the guy, nobody they could bring in was going to make this team more than 5-11, gonna go get their qb this offseason

At least that's what I'm hoping
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bruceb


Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Posts: 6972
Location: Rocky River, OH
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Some other reason and here is what it is:

I'm going to say they had a spending limit. I know we are way below the cap but for this year alone we won't be penalized for it. Jimmy has attorney fees he has to cover.

I don't think they sabotaged the season because they spent money on a few players and signed good coordinators.

I don't think they knew exactly what they had, which may be their own fault and that played into not focusing on certain positions.

I think it may be irrelevant, if we smoke Baltimore this week (I know big if) most of us will be back aboard the wildcard contention train. That was game one under a new defensive and offensive scheme with the 2nd youngest team in the NFL. I think it would have been silly (I'm silly) to expect everything to come together right out of the gate.


Well, I did see a FB post tonight celebrating that we are tied for the lead in the Division!
_________________
Everything happens exactly the way it is supposed to happen...otherwise, it would happen some other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 5816
Location: WV
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Some other reason and here is what it is:

I'm going to say they had a spending limit. I know we are way below the cap but for this year alone we won't be penalized for it. Jimmy has attorney fees he has to cover.

I don't think they sabotaged the season because they spent money on a few players and signed good coordinators.

I don't think they knew exactly what they had, which may be their own fault and that played into not focusing on certain positions.

I think it may be irrelevant, if we smoke Baltimore this week (I know big if) most of us will be back aboard the wildcard contention train. That was game one under a new defensive and offensive scheme with the 2nd youngest team in the NFL. I think it would have been silly (I'm silly) to expect everything to come together right out of the gate.


Well, I did see a FB post tonight celebrating that we are tied for the lead in the Division!


'Tis true.

I still think the Bengals win the division, but i'm sticking with my 9-7 prediction for the Browns until we pick up our 8th loss. Hopefully it is more than 7 weeks away. Very Happy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 20910
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O dear lord
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dropkick_pride


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 10805
Location: C-bus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect to win.... But complete idiots was a close second.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bruceb


Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Posts: 6972
Location: Rocky River, OH
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
You can't expect to have a 3rd string guard to be your starter on opening day.


No, obviously it was a much better idea to start Oniel Cousins.

2 positive (1TD) killing penalties, 2 sacks and 3 pressures allowed if I remember what I heard on Pluto's podcast correctly.

Nope, no way you start anyone over Cousins! Razz
_________________
Everything happens exactly the way it is supposed to happen...otherwise, it would happen some other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dawgpoun8017


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 12294
Location: Waterloo,NY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIFSoup
_________________
2013 Joe Blackburn HOF Award Recipient
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group