Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots re-sign TE Mulligan, Place RB Vereen on short-IR
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 41344
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Patriots re-sign TE Mulligan, Place RB Vereen on short-IR Reply with quote

Quote:
Patriots announced today that they have placed RB Shane Vereen on injured reserve with a designation to return. They re-signed TE Matthew Mulligan to replace Vereen on the 53-man roster. The team also re-signed DL A.J. Francis to the practice squad and released WR Quentin Sims from the practice squad.


http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-make-a-series-of-transactions-Place-Shane-Vereen-on-IR-with-designation-to-return/edf652ee-c0eb-47b2-bc08-9de048b57e36

Quote:
Bad scheduling for Vereen, too. He's eiligible to return during the bye week, so he'll miss eight games.


https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/377532204517036033
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute


Last edited by Billy Spikes on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 41344
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had to add a TE, seems like they might have released Mulligan to prevent his contract from been guaranteed.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldfishwars


Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 8649
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Donut


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 12556
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone will be upset about Simm's being released. Just cant remember who.
_________________
dhunt2402 wrote:
You're like the patron saint of roster bubble players Laughing
Adopt a Patriot: Tim Wright
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25698
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the good luck with injuries through July and early August has reversed itself. Surprised they haven't (yet) added a RB to the practice squad.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 41344
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
All the good luck with injuries through July and early August has reversed itself. Surprised they haven't (yet) added a RB to the practice squad.


Maybe George Winn.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattyl13


Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 128
Location: Exiled in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt everything we were hearing that Vereen would be out maybe 3-4 weeks?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25698
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyl13 wrote:
Wasnt everything we were hearing that Vereen would be out maybe 3-4 weeks?


The initial report was "at least" 4 weeks
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheNutGronker


Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 1539
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why release Sims? Kind of odd. With how the WR corps looked Sunday you'd think it wouldn't hurt having something else to throw at the wall and hope it sticks
_________________

2013 Adopt-a-Patriot: Rob "Is Wayne Brady Gonna Have To" Ninkovich
Tackles: 14 Sacks: 0 TFL: 2 FR: 1 FF: 1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25698
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNutGronker wrote:
Why release Sims? Kind of odd. With how the WR corps looked Sunday you'd think it wouldn't hurt having something else to throw at the wall and hope it sticks


Needed a practice squad spot for AJ Francis and WR is - even with Amendola's injury - probably the position where a practice squad guy is least likely to help in the next few weeks.

Like a lot of these guys, I'm guessing Sims will resurface if he doesn't get picked up elsewhere. The Pats use their 8 man practice squad like a 12 man squad, shuffling guys in and out depending on the needs of the 53. I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Kline, Sims, Tarpinian, Francis etc take turns being on and off the practice squad and 53 man roster.

The composition of the 53 man roster is a bit weird to me right now though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NinjaZX6R


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 9331
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
TheNutGronker wrote:
Why release Sims? Kind of odd. With how the WR corps looked Sunday you'd think it wouldn't hurt having something else to throw at the wall and hope it sticks


Needed a practice squad spot for AJ Francis and WR is - even with Amendola's injury - probably the position where a practice squad guy is least likely to help in the next few weeks.

Like a lot of these guys, I'm guessing Sims will resurface if he doesn't get picked up elsewhere. The Pats use their 8 man practice squad like a 12 man squad, shuffling guys in and out depending on the needs of the 53. I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Kline, Sims, Tarpinian, Francis etc take turns being on and off the practice squad and 53 man roster.

The composition of the 53 man roster is a bit weird to me right now though.


How so?

Besides Ebner who should be on IR.
_________________
"Let's show some toughness. Yeah...Toughness and go makes some plays"
-Tom Brady
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pats#1


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 5992
Location: Plymouth, MA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
All the good luck with injuries through July and early August has reversed itself. Surprised they haven't (yet) added a RB to the practice squad.


As much sit sucks....lets hope we get all of our injury problems out of the way so that our most important pieces can be healthy at the end of the season.

Much rather have bad luck in the beginning than in the end.
_________________


Sig credit: Deadpulse
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25698
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
TheNutGronker wrote:
Why release Sims? Kind of odd. With how the WR corps looked Sunday you'd think it wouldn't hurt having something else to throw at the wall and hope it sticks


Needed a practice squad spot for AJ Francis and WR is - even with Amendola's injury - probably the position where a practice squad guy is least likely to help in the next few weeks.

Like a lot of these guys, I'm guessing Sims will resurface if he doesn't get picked up elsewhere. The Pats use their 8 man practice squad like a 12 man squad, shuffling guys in and out depending on the needs of the 53. I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Kline, Sims, Tarpinian, Francis etc take turns being on and off the practice squad and 53 man roster.

The composition of the 53 man roster is a bit weird to me right now though.


How so?

Besides Ebner who should be on IR.


Well only one DT is weird. Up until Vereen's injury, the heavy RB/FB load was unusual as well.

Really though, I don't see a way they can justify Ebner even if he were healthy. They need that spot for fill ins for the banged up guys or another DT.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConnPatFan


Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Posts: 398
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
TheNutGronker wrote:
Why release Sims? Kind of odd. With how the WR corps looked Sunday you'd think it wouldn't hurt having something else to throw at the wall and hope it sticks


Needed a practice squad spot for AJ Francis and WR is - even with Amendola's injury - probably the position where a practice squad guy is least likely to help in the next few weeks.

Like a lot of these guys, I'm guessing Sims will resurface if he doesn't get picked up elsewhere. The Pats use their 8 man practice squad like a 12 man squad, shuffling guys in and out depending on the needs of the 53. I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Kline, Sims, Tarpinian, Francis etc take turns being on and off the practice squad and 53 man roster.

The composition of the 53 man roster is a bit weird to me right now though.


How so?

Besides Ebner who should be on IR.


Well only one DT is weird. Up until Vereen's injury, the heavy RB/FB load was unusual as well.

Really though, I don't see a way they can justify Ebner even if he were healthy. They need that spot for fill ins for the banged up guys or another DT.
Is Ebner still practice squad eligible?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15917
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnPatFan wrote:
Is Ebner still practice squad eligible?
No. He played in 15 games last season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group