You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Munchak's Titans vs Fisher's Titans

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealdeal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Munchak's Titans vs Fisher's Titans Reply with quote

I'm curious as to how many things are different under Munchak vs under Fisher.

I was talking to a guy at the game yesterday about this and we both seem to be in agreement.

I wanted to get everyone else's insight on this as well.

So.. What's different... What's the same?
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've noticed about Munch is he isn't afraid to go for it on 4th down and short. That's the most glaring difference to me.

Also isn't nearly as 'favoritistic' (is that even a word?) as Fisher was / is.

^^El ramster^^
FF Hunger Games I Winner

#JDI
FootballProdiG wrote:
Cant spell choke without OKC
lamont

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same:
a near heart attack every game.

different:
No mustache on the HC.

Laughing

For the record I do not miss Fisher. I will wait until the end of the season to make my 3 year assessment on Munch. I will say he is trending in the right direction. This team is buying what he is selling right now. They easily could be undefeated. He fits this market. Munch doesn't demand national media spotlight and with Tennessee being a small market he will not get it unless the Titans win it all. With him being a OL his whole life, I think his ego is not built that way to want the spotlight. Just come in do your job and bust your butt and the results will speak for themselves. Some teams need a flashy guy like Fisher with the mustache and the sunglasses, and some teams don't. JMO.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
therealdeal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing the guy and I agreed on was the fact that our play calling pretty much resemble the Fisher days.
TitanTuff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the field I see some difference. Munch always seems amiable to the media. Even on his TV show he is always polite.

Fisher hated the media (it seemed). He was always contentious. His answers were snide and sarcastic. I remember segments on his show when Dawn Davenport would ask him a question from the internet and if he didn't like it he would just gaze at her with a sneer for about 2 seconds before answering the question. At first I kinda liked it, then it got old quick.

And Munch will *never* have super bowl shufflin' crew to fall back on.

2017 Adopt-a-Titan
Delanie Walker
Amy Adams Strunk - MVP Owner
-Hope-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSP (or I guess STSP now) doesn't have the air of a country club any more, and our players don't get arrested and/or whine about the team all the time.
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
BSP (or I guess STSP now) doesn't have the air of a country club any more, and our players don't get arrested and/or whine about the team all the time.

I don't think I agree with this at all. I don't remember players getting arrested that often outside of Pacman during Fisher's time here. Heck, Britt (even though he was drafted when Fisher was here) has a long rap sheet and a lot of it came after Fisher left and Munch took over.

And we had a player say "this isn't what I signed up for" around this time last season.

I wouldn't say that the arrests/complaining is any more different than when Fisher was here. We had a prima donna in VY when Fisher was here and if memory serves me, that is where the majority of the complaints came from, just as how the majority of the arrests came from Pacman.

I don't see much of a difference between Fisher and Munchak. Fisher lost control of the team near the end of his time here, but overall he fielded a much more disciplined team than Munchak does. Munch, however, doesn't play favorites like Fisher did. Munchak knows that he is prooobably on the burning hot seat should we miss the playoffs this year, so he is doing everything in his power to make sure that doesn't happen.

Both guys decide to get soft with a lead and neither have that "nail in the coffin" mentality on offense when we have the chance to put a team away. Somehow Fisher had that crazy like 50-2 record or whatever when going into the 4th with the lead, but games seemed to be really close down to the wire regardless. He, like Munch, seem content letting our defense go out and preserve wins rather than letting our offense go out, maintain aggressiveness with a 4th quarter lead, and put teams away.

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
Titanium

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisher was pretty darn arrogant.

As others have mentioned, loved certain players (Nick Harper comes to mind), that he just kept trotting out there game after game when he should not have.

I don't see either of these traits in Munchak.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's not going to be much of a difference considering Munch did learn under Fisher. Everybody has pretty much mentioned some of differences between the two such as Munch's aggressiveness to go for it on 4th down. Another thing is, Munch isn't afraid to play rookies. Every 1st round pick Munch has had either started or got a lot of playing time their 1st year aside from Locker. All the 2nd round picks are starting as well or getting good PT. Both love old school style of football with tough physical defenses with a ground and pound offense. Munch didn't shy away from positions numerous times that needed obvious upgrades such as WR. Our WRs now are easily the most talented group we've ever had. All in all, there's not going to be much change simply because Munch learned everything from Fisher. I do love how Munch knew we needed big time change after last year especially on defense and took a chance on Gregg Williams. He wants to win without a doubt and his post game lockerroom speeches show it. Everyone saw last year that he had no emotion but he's clearly shown it this year.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
VY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealdeal wrote:
One thing the guy and I agreed on was the fact that our play calling pretty much resemble the Fisher days.

Agreed, but that will happen when you stay in-house for coaching hires. I like that we're playing well so far this season, but I don't think what we're doing can be sustained an entire season and hope to make the playoffs.

Seeing how much better Jake looked yesterday and on the no-huddle drive in Houston, I think a lot of our problems can be chalked up to coaching. The Fisher mindset of CYA and keeping things very conservative is frustrating but also tends to work more often than not and has continued with the current cast. Hopefully Loggains & Munch will realize that they need to let Jake loose a bit more, that's the only way he'll truly grow. He's showed he's improved in making decisions by leaps and bounds, I'd like to see him given more opportunity to show if he can really run an offense with less limitation.
s_camp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One structural difference is the involvement of a GM to a much greater extent than we saw under Fisher for the last, what, five or six years of his time here?

Also, Munch seems to like his QB and appears to be trying to make him successful. We can disagree with his methods perhaps, but I don't think he's opposed to Jake like Fisher was with Vince.

Also also, this year our defense is more aggressive than I remember it being in quite some time. Even with Albert playing out of his mind those two years I don't think the D was so aggressive. Granted that's almost certainly Williams' influence, but Munch is the one that brought him in.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
One structural difference is the involvement of a GM to a much greater extent than we saw under Fisher for the last, what, five or six years of his time here?

Also, Munch seems to like his QB and appears to be trying to make him successful. We can disagree with his methods perhaps, but I don't think he's opposed to Jake like Fisher was with Vince.

Also also, this year our defense is more aggressive than I remember it being in quite some time. Even with Albert playing out of his mind those two years I don't think the D was so aggressive. Granted that's almost certainly Williams' influence, but Munch is the one that brought him in.

Absolutely!!! That's because when Williams left, Schwartz took over and he's not big on blitzing. Our defense started going south. The only reason we had any success down the stretch is because Big Al was a beast playing for a new contract 2 years in a row. After that, we sucked big time. It wasn't because Schwartz left, it was because Haynesworth did. All of the aggression you see now is strictly because of Gregg Williams and some of the players we brought in...guys like Pollard, Wilson and Fokou who fit his style.

As far as differences between Munchak and Fisher, here's my take...

Similarities:
1. They're both old school. They take that blue-collar, lunch pail approach with the run-first offense and hard-nosed defense.
2. They both believe battles are both won and lost the trenches.
3. They're both good players coaches IMO.

Differences:
1. Munchak don't play favorites. He will not keep a player on the field for too long if he doesn't produce.
2. Munchak is a little more willing to take risks. He doesn't handcuff himself to the "field position" game as often.
3. One of the biggest differences that I'm witnessing is, Munchak is not afraid to draft high and make moves to add weapons for his young QB. He's building a system made for Locker to play to his strengths and make his own, instead of trying to force him into a system that only limits his abilities and exploit his weaknesses.
4. As far as the media, I actually like listening to Munchak's interviews because he talks directly at you. His intentions are clear cut and to the point, leaving no confusion about the issues. Fisher would usually talk through his mustache with his soft muffled voice, giving evasive answers, while damn near putting your to sleep the whole time. He almost left you with even more questions.

I'll still beat the drum for Munchak in saying he should at least get 2 more years with us, being that this is really his first year running the actual type of system and coaching staff he really wanted all along. If we at least get to the playoffs, I feel Munchak and Co. would deserve an extension. IMO Bud screwed him up when he first hired him.

TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of what s_camp and Dionysus said I agree with.

When Fisher was on our team we drafted horribly. Under Fisher we took a RB in the first or second round in 3 consecutive years. Had a TON of 2-7th round players who never produced and was even noticeable a couple years in that they never would produce.

Munchak is absolutely tearing up the draft for us. Whether it's his input or him staying out of it and letting the people who are paid to do it, he's striking gold. In 3 years through the 2nd-4th rounds alone we've acquired Akeem Ayers, Jurrell Casey, Colin McCarthy, Zach Brown, Mike Martin, Coty Sensabaugh, Justin Hunter, Blindi Wreh-Wilson, Zaviar Gooden, and Brian Schwenke.

While we haven't seen a lot of Wreh-Wilson and Schwenke I'm predicting they both have a starting spot on the team next season.

Under Jeff Fisher our only 2nd-4th rd draft picks from 2006-2010 worth mentioning as contributors are Alterraun Verner, Damian Williams, Jason Jones, Craig Stephens, Stephen Tulloch, and Lendale White. He did hit on McCourty in the 6th and Finnegan in the 7th, but in 4 years his players have nowhere near equaled the value that Munchak's have in 3.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
A lot of what s_camp and Dionysus said I agree with.

When Fisher was on our team we drafted horribly. Under Fisher we took a RB in the first or second round in 3 consecutive years. Had a TON of 2-7th round players who never produced and was even noticeable a couple years in that they never would produce.

Munchak is absolutely tearing up the draft for us. Whether it's his input or him staying out of it and letting the people who are paid to do it, he's striking gold. In 3 years through the 2nd-4th rounds alone we've acquired Akeem Ayers, Jurrell Casey, Colin McCarthy, Zach Brown, Mike Martin, Coty Sensabaugh, Justin Hunter, Blindi Wreh-Wilson, Zaviar Gooden, and Brian Schwenke.

While we haven't seen a lot of Wreh-Wilson and Schwenke I'm predicting they both have a starting spot on the team next season.

Under Jeff Fisher our only 2nd-4th rd draft picks from 2006-2010 worth mentioning as contributors are Alterraun Verner, Damian Williams, Jason Jones, Craig Stephens, Stephen Tulloch, and Lendale White. He did hit on McCourty in the 6th and Finnegan in the 7th, but in 4 years his players have nowhere near equaled the value that Munchak's have in 3.

That's one difference that I forgot to mention...better drafts with Munchak. With the exception of a small few players over the past 3 seasons, I notice that we actually have more of our latest draft picks making the active roster and contributing than before.

DRAFT PICKS
2011: 7 of 9 - 4 starter(s), 2 in rotation, 1 depth, 2 cut
2012: 5 of 7 - 2 starter(s), 2 in rotation, 1 depth, 2 cut
2013: 7 of 8 - 1 starter(s), 2 in rotation, 4 depth, 1 on PS

That's 83% of our last 3 draft classes who are still with the team, and 79% on the active roster. Pretty damn good talent hunting if you ask me.

Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few things Munch is behind this QB Fisher wasnt behind his last. But i feel like there wernt many players speaking out under Fisher. Already with Munch we seen Cook last year making his problems public and now Britt taking to social media i know social media wasnt as big back then but i feel Fisher was able to keep most of the Titans problems in house an not in the media. Towards the end a few things got out with Fisher with VY trying to potentially commit suicide and offseason back an forth arguments about coming to camp with CJ but pther than that i feel players wernt as out spoken and Fisher prob wouldnt baby Britt like Munch is

DaQuan Jones

Jayon Brown

Sig By El Ramster

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: