Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Schwartz on Grew..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Worthless a receiver? Wow.
do you think he's worth the money he's getting?

According to rotoworld, Pettigrew is making $2.2M this year. Scheffler is making $2.4M. Not only did Pettigrew contribute more than Scheffler week 1, but Fauria would replace Scheffler as the pass-catching TE in this offense.

The irony? Fans are calling for Pettigrew, and not Scheffler, to be released.

Grew contributed more than Scheffler for the Vikings. I would easily play Scheffler over Grew on all of his snaps. I would rather sign Chappas to the 53 and use a FB in place of Grew. Plus Chappas probably can catch better than Grew.

Scheffler has struggled too, but again he has done more positive than negative, a point you can't seem to grasp and continually seem to point to one game.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheffler had a drop on his only target and provided nothing in terms of blocking. Pettigrew made a positive impact on the running game.

This place is completely delusional. It's okay, though... once he has a bounce back week, the forum will again turn. That's the beauty of this place.

Team Stylish
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Scheffler had a drop on his only target and provided nothing in terms of blocking. Pettigrew made a positive impact on the running game.

This place is completely delusional. It's okay, though... once he has a bounce back week, the forum will again turn. That's the beauty of this place.

Are people disagreening with that though?? People said Sheffler should be traded for a while now...him and Mikel have been talked about since Reggie was signed
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Heller, LOL. Going to have to agree with TL here, alot of ridiculous hate going on in this thread. Pettigrew isn't great but he's definitely far better than people in this thread are giving him credit for.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Grew had a drop, a fumble while in scoring position and a holding call on a 4th down play that cost us points. His impact on the game was negative. Scheffler having one drop and no other negative plays is better than Grew. It's not good.

And it's funny you say the forum will turn when you have been arguing this same battle for years now. Obviously people aren't impressed and have had enough of Grew and have for a while now.

Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP CITY wrote:
Will Heller, LOL. Going to have to agree with TL here, alot of ridiculous hate going on in this thread. Pettigrew isn't great but he's definitely far better than people in this thread are giving him credit for.

Yeah, Will Heller. He was a good blocker, didn't offer much in the passing game but when used he was effective. I am not a fan of Heller, but he is a better #3 TE than Grew is, and unfortunately Grew is starting for us.

RIP CITY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Heller is not a better TE than Pettigrew, the fact that I even have to say that is pretty sad. Believe me I'm not a big fan of Pettigrew either and it's probably best the Lions let him walk after the season, but I'm sorry, you're not going to convince me that Will freaking Heller is a better TE than Pettigrew.

It's one thing to call out Pettigrew for his faults and say that there needs to be an upgrade at some point, it's something else entirely to compare him to a player that who in his entire career only has 9 more receptions than Pettigrew had in 2011 alone. That's far more than exaggerating to make a point, that is simply ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would easily take Heller over Pettigrew. The upside Pettigrew offers over Heller is not worth the money. It could be used elsewhere really.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously?? Okay Heller was not that good. You guys can't forget Pettigrew broke the Lions record for Tight ends a while back....I know I haven't been high on him but to say you'd rather have a guy that doesn't even have a job then him is just ignorant...his contract is up after this year anyway...
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
Seriously?? Okay Heller was not that good. You guys can't forget Pettigrew broke the Lions record for Tight ends a while back....I know I haven't been high on him but to say you'd rather have a guy that doesn't even have a job then him is just ignorant...his contract is up after this year anyway...

It's all about what u are paying for. His asset is blocking but he's not great at it. Paddle hands can be replaced for cheap

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Hiller was better. Only reason he had fewer receptions is because he had fewer bulk targets. I am confident with the same targets he would have had fewer drops, while also not being stuck on the same tired old 5yd route when the situation dictated otherwise.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stance on Pettigrew hasn't changed too much in the last few years. In 2011 I was starting to get less annoyed with him, but his fumbles and inconsistency got ratcheted up another notch in 2012 and so far it doesn't look to have improved in the offseason. At least at this point the Lions seem to be taking note of this fact and throwing the ball elsewhere, using Pettigrew more as a blocker and even as a fullback option at times on Sunday. It was pretty frustrating watching the Lions throw to Pettigrew ten times a game despite all his mistakes. I'd rather see him out there playing more or less the 2012 Riley Reiff role, although obviously they're going to throw to him a few times here and there.

I hope we don't re-sign him. The unfortunate conundrum is that doing so necessitates drafting or signing a replacement. We'll have Michael Williams as our #3 and Fauria should be able to handle the Scheffler role (Scheff is also a free agent) but we'll need someone who's more of an every-down guy. I'm not sure I want to spend a super high pick on someone like Austin Seferian-Jenkins, but maybe someone like CJ Fiedorowicz in the third round. Huge guy, solid blocker, probably capable of contributing about as much as Pettigrew without the $3 million cap hit. He's another 6'7" prospect too, which would be tough to deal with in the red zone. The free agent crop isn't really inspiring. Jermichael Finley and Jimmy Graham are free agents. I'd guess Graham will probably get tagged or signed to a mega-deal, while Finley isn't really the type of TE we'd need. Scott Chandler is an impending free agent too, but he's pretty mediocre.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wi7son wrote:
RIP CITY wrote:
Pettigrew is an average starting TE, he's not that good but I definitely don't think the Lions could afford to cut him. People calling for him to be cut are definitely overblowing the situation. He's still probably the best overall TE on the team, his pass catching is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be and he's an ok blocker. Scheffler is the best recieving TE on the team and I still think he should play more for that reason but Pettigrew is not worthless. Obviously he needs to clean up his mistakes but calling him worthless and saying he should be cut is a major overreaction IMO.

I also think this man-crush everyone has on Fauria is getting silly. He's done nothing special and he's not going to be the Lions savior at TE. He had 3 catches for 27 yards and a TD and everyone is acting like he's the next Jimmy Graham. He's nothing special, he's just a big guy who isn't completely useless. He's not a future Pro-Bowler like some on here are making him out to be, he'll probably end up being a good backup TE that can make some plays here and there.

Long term I don't think the Lions have a future starting TE on the roster, it's something they'll need to look into in the offseason. What they have now with Pettigrew/Scheffler/Fauria is ok for this season, they all serve their purpose and they should all see some playing time in certain situations.

I don't think anyone is screaming cut him. But I wouldn't mind trading him honestly, cause I think he has trade value now, not sure hes worth anything next year..

I'm screaming cut him. He finds ways to lose our momentum and sometimes even the game.

And maybe I've had it out for Pettigrew since we drafted him. It was crazy as hell then considering he wasn't the best receiving target available(Harvin) or best blocking options ( Michael Oher, Alex Mack).

I'd of personally took Michael Oher but all three of those players imo could have made a case above Pettigrew. This is just a staff hanging on to a pick that hasn't worked out because he's a first rounder, and semi productive. I'm pretty sure Pettigrew wouldn't be starting if him/Fauria where both UFDA's this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: