Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Schwartz on Grew..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wi7son

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
wi7son: I don't hold "draft expectations" against any player. Considering the bust rate of 1st round picks, Pettigrew should actually be considered a pick well spent: he's a solid contributor in his clearly defined role.

If draft position is relevant, fans should think highly of Levy, a 4th round pick who - despite adversity - is a solid NFL starter. But nope: Levy gets torn apart on here, and most of the criticism is unwarranted.

Draft position is a convenient tool used selectively to add criticism to a lightning rod. Once the draft ends, the quality of the player is the only thing that matters.

Great response and point. I agree with your point on Levy as well and same could be said about a lot of other guys.

But honestly do you want to see Pettigews snaps limited on receptions @ all and give this Rookie more touches even if its limited?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
This dude would not be a starter on half the teams in the NFL yet gets so much support

Half of the teams? That's reasonable. So he'd still start for 16 teams. Sounds like a pretty good player.

I'm probably being very very optimistic in those numbers. I could probably find 20-24 teams with better but on phone right now
Pettigrew was the 57th rated TE in the NFL last season. That means he could be the #2 TE on around maybe, six teams?

Oh, and his base salary is around $2M this season, which means he's guaranteed to clear waivers. Not one team would pick up that salary, and he's costing us a total of $3.74M- what a rotten deal.

Last season was the worst of his career. Why not mention 2010 and 2011?
Because he's looked just as bad through TC and to start the season this year. He's not showing improvement- in fact, he's getting worst right before our eyes.

Oh. Right. Ignore his good years, mention only the worst season of his career, then draw conclusions on one regular season game.

Outstanding work. Truly groundbreaking stuff.
In 2011 he was the 45th overall rated TE, and in 2010 he was rated the 41st overall TE.

Those years were better, but not necessarily good years. 2010 was the only year in his career when he was rated positively as a both a run and pass blocker. He has been rated negatively as a receiver his entire career, and as a blocker over the vast majority of his career.

You keep saying that we're making judgements based on a single game, but you have no ground to stand on with that statement so do yourself a favor and quit embarrassing yourself by repeating that sentiment.

Can you provide a link for me? I would like to look at those numbers and try to find out how they compile the stats. I'm also curious to see exactly what they're grading.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettigrew is an average starting TE, he's not that good but I definitely don't think the Lions could afford to cut him. People calling for him to be cut are definitely overblowing the situation. He's still probably the best overall TE on the team, his pass catching is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be and he's an ok blocker. Scheffler is the best recieving TE on the team and I still think he should play more for that reason but Pettigrew is not worthless. Obviously he needs to clean up his mistakes but calling him worthless and saying he should be cut is a major overreaction IMO.

I also think this man-crush everyone has on Fauria is getting silly. He's done nothing special and he's not going to be the Lions savior at TE. He had 3 catches for 27 yards and a TD and everyone is acting like he's the next Jimmy Graham. He's nothing special, he's just a big guy who isn't completely useless. He's not a future Pro-Bowler like some on here are making him out to be, he'll probably end up being a good backup TE that can make some plays here and there.

Long term I don't think the Lions have a future starting TE on the roster, it's something they'll need to look into in the offseason. What they have now with Pettigrew/Scheffler/Fauria is ok for this season, they all serve their purpose and they should all see some playing time in certain situations.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
This dude would not be a starter on half the teams in the NFL yet gets so much support

Half of the teams? That's reasonable. So he'd still start for 16 teams. Sounds like a pretty good player.

I'm probably being very very optimistic in those numbers. I could probably find 20-24 teams with better but on phone right now
Pettigrew was the 57th rated TE in the NFL last season. That means he could be the #2 TE on around maybe, six teams?

Oh, and his base salary is around $2M this season, which means he's guaranteed to clear waivers. Not one team would pick up that salary, and he's costing us a total of $3.74M- what a rotten deal.

Because he's looked just as bad through TC and to start the season this year. He's not showing improvement- in fact, he's getting worst right before our eyes.

Oh. Right. Ignore his good years, mention only the worst season of his career, then draw conclusions on one regular season game.

In 2011 he was the 45th overall rated TE, and in 2010 he was rated the 41st overall TE.

Those years were better, but not necessarily good years. 2010 was the only year in his career when he was rated positively as a both a run and pass blocker. He has been rated negatively as a receiver his entire career, and as a blocker over the vast majority of his career.

You keep saying that we're making judgements based on a single game, but you have no ground to stand on with that statement so do yourself a favor and quit embarrassing yourself by repeating that sentiment.

Can you provide a link for me? I would like to look at those numbers and try to find out how they compile the stats. I'm also curious to see exactly what they're grading.
As you know I use PFF a ton. Those rankings come from that site, and I paid for their premium membership so I'm not sure whether you can see the same data but if you can just go there and click on "by position", and then choose TE.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

As you know I use PFF a ton. Those rankings come from that site, and I paid for their premium membership so I'm not sure whether you can see the same data but if you can just go there and click on "by position", and then choose TE.

Thanks stylish.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
wi7son

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP CITY wrote:
Pettigrew is an average starting TE, he's not that good but I definitely don't think the Lions could afford to cut him. People calling for him to be cut are definitely overblowing the situation. He's still probably the best overall TE on the team, his pass catching is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be and he's an ok blocker. Scheffler is the best recieving TE on the team and I still think he should play more for that reason but Pettigrew is not worthless. Obviously he needs to clean up his mistakes but calling him worthless and saying he should be cut is a major overreaction IMO.

I also think this man-crush everyone has on Fauria is getting silly. He's done nothing special and he's not going to be the Lions savior at TE. He had 3 catches for 27 yards and a TD and everyone is acting like he's the next Jimmy Graham. He's nothing special, he's just a big guy who isn't completely useless. He's not a future Pro-Bowler like some on here are making him out to be, he'll probably end up being a good backup TE that can make some plays here and there.

Long term I don't think the Lions have a future starting TE on the roster, it's something they'll need to look into in the offseason. What they have now with Pettigrew/Scheffler/Fauria is ok for this season, they all serve their purpose and they should all see some playing time in certain situations.

I don't think anyone is screaming cut him. But I wouldn't mind trading him honestly, cause I think he has trade value now, not sure hes worth anything next year..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wi7son wrote:
RIP CITY wrote:

I don't think anyone is screaming cut him. But I wouldn't mind trading him honestly, cause I think he has trade value now, not sure hes worth anything next year..
With a base salary upwards of $2M, Pettigrew has absolutely zero trade value.

And for a cap hit of $3.4M, I'm absolutely screaming cut his arse.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
wi7son wrote:
RIP CITY wrote:

Not a good move right now. No one we can easily obtain right now is going to out-value him. We're not up against the cap, it's the Fords' money. No point in cutting.

We should've rid of him in the offseason.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
wi7son wrote:
RIP CITY wrote:

Not a good move right now. No one we can easily obtain right now is going to out-value him. We're not up against the cap, it's the Fords' money. No point in cutting.

I disagree. Will Heller will be more impactful IM and he will be cheaper. The fact cap space can be carried into future years is huge and we can save some room now to spend next year. All Grew is right now is an average blocker. Will Heller was that and had hands at least as good as Grews.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
wi7son wrote:
RIP CITY wrote:

Now that they should realize how worthless of a receiver he is, I see no issue replacing with a guy like Will Heller.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worthless a receiver? Wow.

Team Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
do you think he's worth the money he's getting?
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

According to rotoworld, Pettigrew is making $2.2M this year. Scheffler is making $2.4M. Not only did Pettigrew contribute more than Scheffler week 1, but Fauria would replace Scheffler as the pass-catching TE in this offense.

The irony? Fans are calling for Pettigrew, and not Scheffler, to be released.

Team Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

According to rotoworld, Pettigrew is making $2.2M this year. Scheffler is making $2.4M. Not only did Pettigrew contribute more than Scheffler week 1, but Fauria would replace Scheffler as the pass-catching TE in this offense.

didn't really answer the question but I think it a ya? I personally rather see scheff go out of the 2.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Pettigrew contributed more?

By default Scheffler contributed more because by not being on the field HE DIDN'T HURT HIS TEAM.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: