Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Schwartz on Grew..
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wi7son

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Schwartz on Grew.. Reply with quote

Quote:
On Reggie Bush making the most of his plays: “He did make something out of nothing a few times. I thought there were some big holes also. I thought that was a combination of a few things.… I thought Pettigrew blocked very well in this game. Particularly some of the behind-the-ball stuff that we do with him

Can you guys believe Schwartz makes it a point to bring Grew up let alone compliment him on the horrid play Grew continues to put on the field.. I agree he does serve a purpose as our only real option as a blocking TE but he has no place in the game plan where he actually touches the ball..

I know we have beat to death the Pettigrew saga in the game thread but when I read coaches press conference I had to post this..

I am honestly starting to question his ability as our HC, with stupid statements like that?.. Can the man not just give Bush the credit he deserves and leave it at that, he acts as if Grew was out there at FB lead blocking and opening the holes for Bush..

Sorry if double post, I'm just a troll Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Schwartz on Grew.. Reply with quote

Why did this need it's own thread? Why couldn't it have gone in the two other threads dicussing Pettigrew?

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're questioning Schwartz's ability to be our HC because he felt our blocking TE blocked well?

This place...

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
You're questioning Schwartz's ability to be our HC because he felt our blocking TE blocked well?

This place...

Pettigrew has replaced Backus as the team lightning rod.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

This place...

Backus performed at an above average level during the Martin Mayhew era, so I disagreed with a lot of the criticism he recieved through those years.

Pettigrew has been a below average TE at every phase of the game for the majority of Mayhew's tenure, and he's progressively getting worst. It's come to the point where even though he was graded negatively in both pass blocking and run blocking yesterday, we've gotta look past that and praise him because he blocked well on one or two end-arounds.

At this point it ain't even about his draft position anymore. He was a [inappropriate/removed]-poor football player last season, and he's begun this season the exact same way. Mayhew and Linehan need to adjust their play-calling and phase him out of the gameplan. They're constantly looking for LB'ers, CB's, S's, and WR's out on the open market- why not look for an improvement at TE since Pettigrew is performing so poorly?
stafford=legend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta defend my AAL here. First of all, there's a reason why Schwartz said that...because it's true obviously. Schwartz was there, as you know, and i'm pretty sure that anything he says about his team can be taken pretty seriously. If he was unhappy with his blocking then he would've made it known; he's that type of coach. Everyone has bad games but not everyone has good games. Pettigrew has the potential to be an impact receiver and we all know that. He's going to have his good games too so lets all just settle down a bit and establish some faith in grew. Our coaching staff obviously has and since he's not going anywhere I will continue to root for him. There are 15 games left and 15 more opportunities Pettigrew has to show that he's better than that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

This place...

I don't know, even I could admit Backus had his good days/points.

Grew however has completely alienated me.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

This place...

Backus performed at an above average level during the Martin Mayhew era, so I disagreed with a lot of the criticism he recieved through those years.

Pettigrew has been a below average TE at every phase of the game for the majority of Mayhew's tenure, and he's progressively getting worst. It's come to the point where even though he was graded negatively in both pass blocking and run blocking yesterday, we've gotta look past that and praise him because he blocked well on one or two end-arounds.

At this point it ain't even about his draft position anymore. He was a [inappropriate/removed]-poor football player last season, and he's begun this season the exact same way. Mayhew and Linehan need to adjust their play-calling and phase him out of the gameplan. They're constantly looking for LB'ers, CB's, S's, and WR's out on the open market- why not look for an improvement at TE since Pettigrew is performing so poorly?

No argument from me. Grew deserves criticism. I'm simply pointing out he has become,"the guy."

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

This place...

I don't know, even I could admit Backus had his good days/points.

Grew however has completely alienated me.

Yup, I felt Backus received unfair criticism however Grew has continually performed poorly in aspects of the game.

I think the fans have it right this time.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any HC should stick up for his guys, as long as they are giving 100%.

I dont have a problem with him trying to be supporting of him.

I also dont think for 1 minute that Schwartz will hesitate to replace him if he feels it will help us.

I must say I found his defense of Pettigrews fumble hilarious.

He actually seemed to blame the blocking for it.

Again, Pettigrew looked like he was strolling in the god damn park on his fumble.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

This place...

He has, absolutely, and it only seems to be intensifying.

The coaches clearly had a plan for Pettigrew when he was drafted, and they feel that he contributed well in that role during week 1. (A win no less). Is that really the reason to question Schwartz's ability as a HC?

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait. Pettigrew has been a poor receiver throughout his entire career?

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

This place...

He has, absolutely, and it only seems to be intensifying.

The coaches clearly had a plan for Pettigrew when he was drafted, and they feel that he contributed well in that role during week 1. (A win no less). Is that really the reason to question Schwartz's ability as a HC?

I won't question his coaching ability for defending a player publicly. We can all jump on Grew for his performance but confidence is part of the game and as a coach Schwartz needs to bolster Grews confidence not undermine it by throwing him under the bus.

No matter how disappointed I am with Grews performance I will be the first to admit that I, as a fan don't always know what the coaches expect of Brandon on a given play. Drops are easy to assess but blocking assignments can be a bit tricky.

Certain plays call for him to engage release and be in the flat. From my perspective I can't determine if he's blocked poorly or followed the play design.

What I do believe and I posted it somewhere in the forum, Schwartz and Linehan obviously believe that Grew gives the team something or he would be on the bench. I also acknowledge that they use Grew differently than a number of teams use TE's. Detroit puts Grew five yards out as a release and numerous times contact is simultaneous with ball arrival. That's a tough ball to hang onto but the stats will show it as a drop without qualification.

I'm not being an apologist for his play. I felt he was greatly over rated coming out of OK State and while draft position doesn't matter he simply has never settled into what I expect from a good TE. My opinion, means nothing, its just an opinion and obviously I'm more critical than the coaches because he's still playing which means in certain scenarios he's the best player they have.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
he's still playing which means in certain scenarios he's the best player they have.

Kind of a nitpick here, but I don't entirely agree with this assessment. I believe it is possible (And actually is my belief) that he continues to receive playing time in an effort to "develop" him as it were. Which is twofold - This regime has interest in him becoming useful as a high draft pick that they made and don't want being viewed as a wasted pick. As well as the more obvious being that he has the talent to be a very good TE that would certainly be very useful if he was to develop.

I don't truly believe that he is the best player at this time for most any situation. As a below average blocker I feel pretty confident Williams could at least be close to as effective and Bugs Bunny could make a better receiver.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
he's still playing which means in certain scenarios he's the best player they have.

Kind of a nitpick here, but I don't entirely agree with this assessment. I believe it is possible (And actually is my belief) that he continues to receive playing time in an effort to "develop" him as it were. Which is twofold - This regime has interest in him becoming useful as a high draft pick that they made and don't want being viewed as a wasted pick. As well as the more obvious being that he has the talent to be a very good TE that would certainly be very useful if he was to develop.

I don't truly believe that he is the best player at this time for most any situation. As a below average blocker I feel pretty confident Williams could at least be close to as effective and Bugs Bunny could make a better receiver.

I don't know about the Bugs Bunny reference but Bugs would certainly be better after the catch.

I actually hadn't thought about the development aspect. You make a good point. I expect that if your correct Fauria will start taking snaps from Grew as he seems, at this point, to have better potential.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: