You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where Has Our Running Game Gone
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Where Has Our Running Game Gone Reply with quote

Two game stats:

Gore - 30 rushes for 60 yards
Hunter - 7 rushes for 17 yards

I'm not going too far out on a limb here to predict we'll lose a few more games if we keep averaging 2 yards a carry. But why are we running so badly? Your thoughts?

One thing I've noticed is we almost never taken a snap with the QB under center, which is where Gore and Hunter have gained most of the yards in their careers. We also have run an awful lot of plays with only one receiver spread out. Sounds like a power formation, but all that does is give the defense heads up that we're likely to run, and also piles up a whole lot of big bodies leaving few holes to run through. Last week we ran a lot out plays out of the "diamond alignment" and almost all of them were pure failures. And we've run a lot of read option plays which were failures. Could it be that we have over-adjusted for having Kap in there instead of Alex and have gotten away from what used to work for us. Maybe we should put Kap under center more and go back to our old running style and try to crank out hundred yard games and know that we've got Kap's arm to fall back on when we do decide to pass.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore at 30 has finally hit the wall, not much tread left on those tires; it's only going to get worse game to game.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Kaepernick. We don't need no stinking run game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your running game last night imo was hindered by one major thing. Kaepernick not taking advantage of open lanes when he had them. He had a spot where he had an EASY first down in front of him, instead he threw it to Gore, just an example. That's one of the things that have really made this Running game soar, and Kaepernick just seemed off his game last night. I don't believe Gore is done, is he showing wear and tear? Sure maybe, but I don't think he's done, he's still a solid RB, but the offense last night, just didn't have a good night, they were off their game. It also didn't help that the passing game wasn't very effective, when Miller becomes your #1 threat..you've got issues. They need Crabtree back, Boldin is reliable but he can't do it all by himself.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Your running game last night imo was hindered by one major thing. Kaepernick not taking advantage of open lanes when he had them. He had a spot where he had an EASY first down in front of him, instead he threw it to Gore, just an example. That's one of the things that have really made this Running game soar, and Kaepernick just seemed off his game last night. I don't believe Gore is done, is he showing wear and tear? Sure maybe, but I don't think he's done, he's still a solid RB, but the offense last night, just didn't have a good night, they were off their game. It also didn't help that the passing game wasn't very effective, when Miller becomes your #1 threat..you've got issues. They need Crabtree back, Boldin is reliable but he can't do it all by himself.

Definitely. He looked hesitant last night and that is always a bad thing. In a game like this, every yard counts and it doesn't matter who gets it. He had two big runs in the game but he should have known that there was room to run especially with Seattle playing man. Gore isn't done. It is always hard to run in Seattle and GB came in playing the run.
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing. I'm wondering if they're transitioning to more of a pass happy team?
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

Definitely. He looked hesitant last night and that is always a bad thing. In a game like this, every yard counts and it doesn't matter who gets it. He had two big runs in the game but he should have known that there was room to run especially with Seattle playing man. Gore isn't done. It is always hard to run in Seattle and GB came in playing the run.

I so agree with the bolded...he was not the same QB he was last week. And now Kaep is Winless in Seattle after two opportunities. Sure, others made plenty of mistakes, but Kaep just wasn't Kaep at all.
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think gore is more uncomfortable from the pistol than running from a traditional set. I seem to recall people saying that last year as well. One thing im surprised hasnt been mentioned is the run blocking. Maybe its just me but it seems like our oline is getting pushed back at the point of attack a lot. It seems like a lot of those lanes are crumbling before gore even really has a chance to hit them.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall us running to the outside, or using counters, at all. Our creative run plays are nowhere to be seen, and that's where Gore strives.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
I don't recall us running to the outside, or using counters, at all. Our creative run plays are nowhere to be seen, and that's where Gore strives.

Agreed.

Also, defenses have committed to stopping the run game(which also limits the read option). In week 1, that was fine, because we had other options. Even though Boldin was our number one target, we still had other receivers out there drawing attention.

Last night, we just loading up our backfield to fake the run. Then, we had Boldin and basically just our FB, Bruce Miller, stretching the field. Against Seattle's secondary. Total head scratcher. It wasn't working and we didn't adjust until what? Late in the fourth quarter when it didn't even matter anymore?

I love Roman at times. He has a high ceiling, but some games, his floor is very low as well.

We are a run first team. It helps us set up the pass. We're now being forced to pass first to set up the run, and we're just not built to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I said it last night watching the game. We have completely abandoned the traditional quick hitting down hill running game. Every running play we have done is from shotgun/pistol and seems to be a R/O play. The effectiveness of this comes from being a change of pace from our downhill style and we seem to be very one dimensional in the run game so far. Everything takes that little extra half second to develop, and it allows the defense to attack rather than be put on their heels by our down hill style. We need to start balancing our rushing attack by giving different looks than the pistol.

I am not advocating abandoning the pistol either, it is just a completely unbalanced attack thus far. We also seem to be very predictable in our playcalling so far. We are running when we are "supposed to" and getting into a lot of 3rd and long situations. Not to mention we are hurting ourselves with penalties after successful 1st down plays. Run for 7, 5 yard penalty, .... might as well be a two yard run. It takes away all momentum the offense might gain with decent gains on the ground.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I think gore is more uncomfortable from the pistol than running from a traditional set. I seem to recall people saying that last year as well. One thing im surprised hasnt been mentioned is the run blocking. Maybe its just me but it seems like our oline is getting pushed back at the point of attack a lot. It seems like a lot of those lanes are crumbling before gore even really has a chance to hit them.

I think this is one of the reasons.

I also don't think gores age has anything to do with it... There's nowhere to run most of the time

We better fix this though. Kaep is good but we are not going very far throwing the ball this much

new sig... sorry alex
LANiner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of it has ti do with the fact that kaep might not be there yet. remember we saw a drop off in our running game when he took over for Alex Smith. his pre snap recognition silk needs work. I think that Smith's ability to decipher a defense at the los was one thing I hoped kaep would be better at this year. we were able to audible from a run ti another run and had success.

but our pass game when Mario and crabs come back will be scary good

sbrown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it none of those items.

Kaep has looked hesitant ALL season. Last week against GB he was hesitant. he was hesitant in preseason as well. WHY?? all offseason JH coached him to play safe in the running game to avoid injury i.e. rg3. You heard it in his interviews that he would play it safe to play another play instead of taking the extra yard. BUT Kaep isnt the running game we are referring to.

Last season when alex was here he usually had a two way play, not as many audibles as you think. I do think, however, that we had a MORE committed running game because we didnt have a dominant passing game threat. Now with kaep we do, which causes us to get too cute or fancy knowing that we have that ability. And it started last season against NE when Kaep outplayed Tom Brady. Since then we have gotten less physical in the run game. NOW we do need to keep our passing threat. Even with alex we still would spread our alignment with 3 or 4 wide and still run the ball, but With Kaep we feel as if we can still throw with ONLY 1 wideout. Kaep can throw, but thats insane to think that will be successful consistently. Even last week against GB boldin was the only wr involved.

Gore has lost a step, but hes not done yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

I would have much preferred 3 and 4 wide (and never 1). That would have given more targets for Kap to find. Sure it would have made pass pro a little harder, but so what. Kap can scramble with the best of them, And if a couple of those guys went deep and took some defenders with them once he started scrambling he'd have more of an open field.

The spread is all about creating space, and with a guy like Kap space is exactly what you want. But our offensive philosophy is the exact opposite of that leaning on lots of big bodies and only 1 or 2 wide. That's clogging up the field when what we want most is space.

Roman always seems to me like a kid with a new toy. Last week it was the diamond. Hardly any success out of it yet we kept doing it. And little to no success out of the RO but we keep doing it. He just needs to watch what the defense is doing and counter it. They always have to leave something available and he needs to be smart enough and flexible enough to find it, and take it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: