Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Coach, New GM, New Season.... Same Chargers.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kramxel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem wasn't the defense... we aren't that good in the secondary to prevent those long 3rd down conversions.

Problem was the 2nd half offense.
Playing hurry up with a lead, going 3 and out with 3 pass plays....

I actually thought we were going to establish the run, and we had a chance to do it in the 2nd half. Even if it's not working, it's still better to go 3 and out with 3 runs, because it milks the clock....

I really don't understand what was the 2nd half gameplan on offense.
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I really hate about our D is the cushion we give WR's. There is nothing worse than watching 5,7,10,8,5 yard passes with no DB within 5 yards of the play. Honestly I would love to see us play tighter coverage and give up 1 to 2 big plays a game. Plus having Weddle back there would give him a chance to make big plays. Even having Gilchrist as the other safety (having some coverage skills) would create good coverage deep. I truly believe that we would have gotten more from Cason had we played that way. I think that's why Cromartie looked so bad after his first year.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
One thing I really hate about our D is the cushion we give WR's. There is nothing worse than watching 5,7,10,8,5 yard passes with no DB within 5 yards of the play. Honestly I would love to see us play tighter coverage and give up 1 to 2 big plays a game. Plus having Weddle back there would give him a chance to make big plays. Even having Gilchrist as the other safety (having some coverage skills) would create good coverage deep. I truly believe that we would have gotten more from Cason had we played that way. I think that's why Cromartie looked so bad after his first year.

That may be my biggest critique of Pags. In some senses you can't fault him when the defensive unit is expected to rotate much more than the offensive players do - and our depth consists primarily of UDFA's and players who couldn't make the final 53 on another team's roster either this or last year. In other senses, if you don't have a high-level pass-rush on your defensive unit, you simply can't use only one single coverage scheme week-to-week in the modern NFL and expect it to work. This is why Ray Horton is the best DC in the league - because he doesn't stick to one static scheme, base formation and concepts yes, but straight scheme, no. Horton will call zone-blitz in some instances, straight man and pin the ears back on others, etc. Pags plays almost exclusively Cover-1 and it's, for lack of a better word, really, really predictable.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose at this point it's like picking at the scab but...

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/10/chargers-texans-cam-thomas-field-goal-penalty/
Quote:
Dean Blandino, NFL vice president of officiating, told the NFL Network on Tuesday "this was not a correct call."

This is not the intent of the rule as it was written," Blandino added. "The rule is to protect the snapper on a field goal or an extra point from a direct, forcible blow to the head or neck area, or with the crown, forehead, hairline parts of the helmet to the body. It was not designed to prohibit any contact with the snapper, which is what happened on this play.

The league office reviewed the play at multiple replay angles, Blandino said.

Upon doing so, it seemed clear the contact Thomas made was incidental.

Its a judgment call by the umpire," Blandino said. "Hes looking at that, and in his judgment, he felt that it was enough for a foul. In our review today, we felt that it was not.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we got hosed. It changed the momentum and the team retreated into it's default mode: choking winnable games. I truly am starting to think that loss was a PTSD symptom from the Norv Turner era. The team was just waiting for things to fall apart instead of actively doing anything to put away the game.
Persian Bolt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to make excuses for my team but that Cam Thomas penalty was BS. That really changed the outcome of the game. I mean who knows if they stilled scored 2 TD's to win the game, but the situation would have been different. I was actually at the game and it was my first Chargers game ever and just had high hopes this season and at 28-7 I was smiling big. But yup same ol' Chargers playing not to lose instead of keeping the game out of reach. Rivers throwing for only 8 yd in the 4th quarter is sad, but the Texans defense started to tighten up a bit. I really hope this leaves a bad taste in their mouth and know what to do when they're 21 pts late in the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: