Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Coach, New GM, New Season.... Same Chargers.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zappaz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: New Coach, New GM, New Season.... Same Chargers. Reply with quote

The outcome tonight was par for the course and what I've grown to expect from this team. Got off to a great start then it crumbles after halftime.

We have got to get better on 3rd down! It is silly how bad we are on 3rd downs, and it has been like that for a couple years now. We must get the ball back in the hands of our offense. I can understand 3rd and 2, but 3rd and forever should NOT be made. Very frustrating.

Rushing the ball?! I thought we would see the line be able to open some holes but boy was I wrong. Mathews goes 13 for 33 (2.5 avg) and Rivers rushes for nearly 25% of the teams total? That is bad. Ronnie Brown looked better, 5 for 27 (5.4 avg) so I'm not sure why he wasn't used more.

Pass defense... I knew it was suspect coming into the season but we got torched by Matt freaking Schaub.. 35/45 for 346 3 TD 1 INT?!?! Andre Johnson with 12 rec 146 yd on 16 targets.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Coach, New GM, New Season.... Same Chargers. Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:
The outcome tonight was par for the course and what I've grown to expect from this team. Got off to a great start then it crumbles after halftime.

We have got to get better on 3rd down! It is silly how bad we are on 3rd downs, and it has been like that for a couple years now. We must get the ball back in the hands of our offense. I can understand 3rd and 2, but 3rd and forever should NOT be made. Very frustrating.

Rushing the ball?! I thought we would see the line be able to open some holes but boy was I wrong. Mathews goes 13 for 33 (2.5 avg) and Rivers rushes for nearly 25% of the teams total? That is bad. Ronnie Brown looked better, 5 for 27 (5.4 avg) so I'm not sure why he wasn't used more.

Pass defense... I knew it was suspect coming into the season but we got torched by Matt freaking Schaub.. 35/45 for 346 3 TD 1 INT?!?! Andre Johnson with 12 rec 146 yd on 16 targets.

Honestly, for some reason the past two years' 3rd down defense ratings in comparison to the rest of the league had escaped me - I knew we were bad, I didn't know we were that bad.

How do you retain a coordinator whose defense has ranked in the bottom 3 in the league in 3rd down defense every year he's had the reins... i nthe name of "continuity"? That's exactly the type of continuity the team should be trying to avoid. But of course who was it that was making this a contingency of the hiring as HC? Oh yeah, that was Spanos.

Until the Spanos family (all of them) decide to take a step back and stick to strictly the business aspects of this club, I'd say we're destined for mediocrity at best.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no excuse for a defense that played so well in the 1st half to blow a 21 point lead. 3rd and 18, are you kidding me? Is Pagano getting too conservative in the 2nd half, or too predictable? Either way, it has to change. It can't all be on the personnel.

They have to open their eyes and see how bad Clary is eventually. Right? He blew so many blocks that could have sprung good runs. He made one good block on a pull in the 1st, and fell every time after that. You can't fall every time you pull and still be a guard in the NFL. You sure as hell shouldn't be starting either.

It came down to a stupid penalty, and one of the best INT's I've ever seen by a LB. It seems to come down to a bad call, then a freak play, and the team implodes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Coach, New GM, New Season.... Same Chargers. Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Honestly, for some reason the past two years' 3rd down defense ratings in comparison to the rest of the league had escaped me - I knew we were bad, I didn't know we were that bad.

How do you retain a coordinator whose defense has ranked in the bottom 3 in the league in 3rd down defense every year he's had the reins... i nthe name of "continuity"? That's exactly the type of continuity the team should be trying to avoid. But of course who was it that was making this a contingency of the hiring as HC? Oh yeah, that was Spanos.

Until the Spanos family (all of them) decide to take a step back and stick to strictly the business aspects of this club, I'd say we're destined for mediocrity at best.

Seriously? I had no idea that they were forcing Pagano onto the new head coach. Also, what do you mean by the bolded? Pagano's only been the DC since 2012.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
There is no excuse for a defense that played so well in the 1st half to blow a 21 point lead. 3rd and 18, are you kidding me? Is Pagano getting too conservative in the 2nd half, or too predictable? Either way, it has to change. It can't all be on the personnel.

They have to open their eyes and see how bad Clary is eventually. Right? He blew so many blocks that could have sprung good runs. He made one good block on a pull in the 1st, and fell every time after that. You can't fall every time you pull and still be a guard in the NFL. You sure as hell shouldn't be starting either.

It came down to a stupid penalty, and one of the best INT's I've ever seen by a LB. It seems to come down to a bad call, then a freak play, and the team implodes.

I'm not sure I can totally blame the line for the low rushing either. I think Mathews has TERRIBLE vision, every time I see him run it looks like he goes right at the other team rather than looking for holes. One play especially tonight were they showed the camera from behind the play, it was a running play to the left that he for some reason cut downhill right into a group of guys rather than using his speed, which he has, to bounce it outside. I really think we need to bring in some more RBs next season and possibly draft one fairly early.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: New Coach, New GM, New Season.... Same Chargers. Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
The LBC wrote:

Seriously? I had no idea that they were forcing Pagano onto the new head coach. Also, what do you mean by the bolded? Pagano's only been the DC since 2012.

In 2012 we had the league's WORST 3rd down defense under Manusky. We then turned the reins over to Pagano - directly off of Manusky's staff and one of the higher-ranking members - who elevated us by a whopping 2 spots.

And yes, there were a number of reports from Acee and Gehlken that Spanos (and Telesco) were giving preference to HC candidates who were willing to keep Pagano on staff as DC.

Is it too late to get the Hilton family back? At least Paris recognizes she knows nothing about football and is too lazy to actually work for a living anyway. I could handle her moron self in the owner's box at games if we actually had owners that were willing to not try and force themselves into the front office decisions.

Or alternate strategy: How many generations will it take to get an offspring with suitable traits if I forcibly crossbreed the Spanos' with members of the Rooney family?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that personal foul flag. I just don't understand it at all. So you cannot engage the long snapper at all now? I mean, while I'm all in for safety rules I just don't understand how that helps. It annoys me that the defense finally makes a 3rd down stop then we get hit by some bogus call. Not that I think it would have changed much in the long run, we would have found another way to lose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That penalty was one of the stupidest i've ever seen.

I want Pagano fired. He has presided over four of the worst defensive collapses the Chargers have had in team history (at least, since the mid 80's) and his defenses are barely better at getting off the field than Manusky's were in 2011. They can't tackle anybody, take stupid angles, and sure as hell can't cover anybody either. Fat Ted Cottrell's defenses didn't suck as hard as Pagano's have.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm blaming the play calling and offense more for the loss than the defense. Just this week there were so many games where teams down and out were able to pass it at will and get back in the game (Giants, Redskins, Bears, etc.) I just think that's what the NFL is like in 2013, but there's not excuse for the 5 3 and outs in the second half.

Royal's dropped pass, Mathews' terrible vision, Rivers throwing at people's feet (seriously I can throw better on the run than Rivers) the offense was just a calamity after that last TD. A sustained drive with a field goal would have wrapped this game up, but the offense couldn't even manage that. Terrible performance.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
I'm blaming the play calling and offense more for the loss than the defense. Just this week there were so many games where teams down and out were able to pass it at will and get back in the game (Giants, Redskins, Bears, etc.) I just think that's what the NFL is like in 2013, but there's not excuse for the 5 3 and outs in the second half.

Royal's dropped pass, Mathews' terrible vision, Rivers throwing at people's feet (seriously I can throw better on the run than Rivers) the offense was just a calamity after that last TD. A sustained drive with a field goal would have wrapped this game up, but the offense couldn't even manage that. Terrible performance.

Agreed. The offense got too cute in the second half and didnt execute. It's fixable. Our corners were exposed in the second half, either we need to fix that garbage or get a more consistant pass rush.

I did however love Baby Zillas performance. Browns effort on the TD pass is also something I won't let escape comment. Texans had no business being let back into that game, this offense can protect Rivers and put up points, now it's time to push that kill switch every play.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There needs to be a shift in the way we view out offense. A 3 & out is a turnover. Stop being cute with the low percentage shot down the field to start a series. Get that first first down. Move that ball & convert. Win some field position and keep them chasing our wide outs. Counters, draws, screens, quick slants, quick outs... Work them. We have to be efficient because athletically we aren't good enough to win games.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
rjkgr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should have just try to pile on points and quit playing conservative because we saw last night any lead is not big enough
game3525

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defense looked like it did under Manusky. CB's playing 10 yards off, lack of pressure outside of Freeney(complete animal btw). I think this is going to be Pags last year here, the defense just hasn't gotten better when it comes to third downs and it really hurts the offense's rhythm in the second half.
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a good note we played a Super Bowl contender and had them on the ropes for 3.5 quarters. Blew it in the end but maybe we can build on the first half.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now they prepare for Philly. Cool

Sig bet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: