Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ryan Mathews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Hope so, he had a good second season I believe, but this is the type of ball he is capable of playing. I still say he is one of the best pass protecting backs in the game as well.

Even Trindon Holliday would bowl over Mathews in pass pro. He's just no good at it really. It is a shame because if he could, he'd be an every down back and he can catch.

I think it is a lack of focus at times, but we have seen him put LBs on their butts before. When he is locked in, he could pass protect with the best of them.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Hope so, he had a good second season I believe, but this is the type of ball he is capable of playing. I still say he is one of the best pass protecting backs in the game as well.

Even Trindon Holliday would bowl over Mathews in pass pro. He's just no good at it really. It is a shame because if he could, he'd be an every down back and he can catch.

I think it is a lack of focus at times, but we have seen him put LBs on their butts before. When he is locked in, he could pass protect with the best of them.

Pass protection in the NFL is 90% mental. Knowing the pass blocking schemes, identifying which defenders are blitzing or feinting. There's a reason why Woodhead and Sproles have been our two best pass protecting RB's the last 10 years. It has nothing to do with them being able to pancake LBs, they just have high football intelligence. Mathews I guess just hasn't put the time in the film room/practice field to get to that level. It fits nicely with the idea that he's talented, but lazy.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, it is mostly about knowing all the schemes and blitzes. Next season will be a big year for him as he has a chance to get in the top 7-10 range.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as Mathews starts playing his best ball of his career, he suffers a hamstring injury? Crying or Very sad

Story of his career..............................

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
So as Mathews starts playing his best ball of his career, he suffers a hamstring injury? Crying or Very sad

Story of his career..............................

It's either an injury, or a costly fumble. The guy has all of the physical ability to be great, but it's always something that keeps him from living up to what he could be.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been playing with the hamstring injury for a few weeks now I believe.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you guys to keep faith in my boy Mathews!!!!!!! What a player he is becoming, lets just hope he could stay healthy as he is well on his way into becoming a top notch back in this league.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I hate Matthews. He is the epitome of wasted talent. He has no work ethic, no maturity and no more time on this team. He is the poster boy of the Norv Yurber lackadaisical mindset I've had to endure the last six years.

Athletically he's good but when you factor in the mental and heart aspect of the game he is sorely lacking. Maybe, he salvages a career somewhere else but it won't be here in San Diego.

Oh rly? Wink

Kidding of course, but he finished the season very strong. He will still always leave you uncomfortable with all his injuries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: