Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stat Watch - Single Season Sacks - Suggs & Dumervil
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Stat Watch - Single Season Sacks - Suggs & Dumervil Reply with quote

Coming off the heels of a bad loss to the Broncos, I think it's appropriate to do one of these for two guys who showed something positive in the pass rush, Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil, specifically how they rank on the Ravens all-time leaderboard, both individually and in I think both of them have a chance to make a mark.

All Ravens Stat Watch Topics:
1. Stat Watch - Career Receptions - Ray Rice
2. Stat Watch - Career Sacks - Terrell Suggs
3. Stat Watch - Career Interceptions - Ed Reed
4. Stat Watch - Single Season Sacks - Suggs & Dumervil
5. Stat Watch - Single Season Receiving Stats - Marlon Brown

Ravens Single Season Sack Leaders

#. Player (Year) - Sacks

1. Peter Boulware (2001) - 15.0
2. Michael McCrary (1998) - 14.5
3. Terrell Suggs (2011) - 14.0
4. Trevor Pryce (2006) - 13.0
5. Terrell Suggs (2003) - 12.0
6. Peter Boulware (1999) - 11.5
6. Michael McCrary (1999) - 11.5
8. Terrell Suggs (2010) - 11.0
8. Adalius Thomas (2006) - 11.0
10. Rob Burnett (2000) - 10.5
10. Terrell Suggs (2004) - 10.5

Ravens Single Season Combined Sack Leaders
(Only the top 2 sack leaders from a given season on the Ravens; player with higher total is listed first)

#. Player1 & Player2 (Year) - Combined Sacks

1. Trevor Pryce & Adalius Thomas (2006) - 24.0
2. Michael McCrary & Peter Boulware (1998) - 23.0
3. Peter Boulware & Michael McCrary (2001) - 22.5
4. Michael McCrary & Peter Boulware (1999) - 21.5
5. Peter Boulware & Michael McCrary (1997) - 20.5
5. Terrell Suggs & Peter Boulware (2003) - 20.5
7. Terrell Suggs & Pernell McPhee (2011) - 20.0
8. Terrell Suggs & Adalius Thomas (2004) - 18.5
9. Rob Burnett & Peter Boulware (2000) - 17.5
10. Adalius Thomas & Terrell Suggs (2005) - 17.0
11. Terrell Suggs & Haloti Ngata (2010) - 16.5
12. Paul Kruger & Haloti Ngata (2012) - 14.0
13. Terrell Suggs & Jarret Johnson (2008) - 13.0
14. Trevor Pryce & Jarret Johnson (2009) - 12.5
15. Peter Boulware & Anthony Weaver (2002) - 10.5
16. Mike Caldwell & Anthony Pleasant (1996) - 8.5
17. Terrell Suggs & Kelly Gregg (2007) - 8.0

Getting the historical numbers across all teams is somewhat difficult. If anyone knows where/how to get them conveniently, please let me know.

Last edited by sp6488 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:18 am; edited 3 times in total
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sizzle and Dumervil each had one sack during week one vs. the Broncos. Their combined season total is 2.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting thread. The combined impact of Suggs and Dummervil.

If you ask me, unless injury occurs, there's no way this sack duo doesn't exceed 24 sacks. I could definitely see both guys averaging nearly a sack a game. Doom had 17 sacks the last time he was in a 34 defense. Suggs has never had such a talented pass rusher across from him during his prime.

The Broncos had one of the better OLs we'll see and both players had their share of pressures along with their sacks. So I could certainly see both players beating up on some of the lines we'll see this year. Aaron Rodgers and Big Ben are known as two guys that are great at making plays, but more likely to hold onto the ball for longer periods. Each could have some pretty good games in those matchups- sacks wise. The Bears OL has been an issue, same with the Lions... and they pass a lot. So we'll definitely have some games where both guys should see opportunities to sack quarterbacks and potentially pick up multiple sack games.

I'll predict this tandem to end up with 30 sacks, which is just under one a game for both guys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^out of curiosity, do you rank doom over Peter boulware in terms of passing talent, or are you saying that injuries had started doing there thing by 2003?

Before the season, my estimate was ~12 each for a combined 24, but as you mention there is a strong potential for multisack games with some of our matchups.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
^out of curiosity, do you rank doom over Peter boulware in terms of passing talent, or are you saying that injuries had started doing there thing by 2003?

Before the season, my estimate was ~12 each for a combined 24, but as you mention there is a strong potential for multisack games with some of our matchups.

I would rank him higher, but this is definitely more of a passing league at this point with more opportunities to sack QBs. That and Doom is one dimensional. Sure he had a nice run stop the last game, but he's going to get plenty of rest via Upshaw. So he'll be much more fresh when rushing the passer than a guy like Boulware.

That and Suggs never played with Boulware when both guys were in their prime at rushing the passer. Suggs has had some nice sack numbers before, but it seems ever since Ted Monachino has joined the coaching roster, Suggs light switch went on (or something) and he's really started to improve further as a pass rusher. So I think Boulware had decline some and Suggs was still ascending some when they were paired as a pass rushing combination.

I think 15 sacks between Suggs and Dumervil is very reasonable to suggest, so I picked 30 for the duo... though I also could see slightly less or slightly more. But unless injuries become a factor, I think both guys surpassing 12 sacks each should be a definite.

So while Doom's pass rushing may not be better than prime Boulware, I definitely think this tandem (along with Upshaw to run stuff) will be our best pairing of OLB production in franchise history... and second place I would have Suggs/Thomas. But the only difference is that there isn't a dominant pass rushing DL presence on this team like we had with Pryce. Ngata is a very good player, but he's not going to consistently steal sacks away from our outside guys, just help collapse the pocket enough for them to get more of them.

... So while I sort of copped out of your question, I also sort of answered it. Doom may very well be better as a pass rusher than Boulware, but he hasn't been a Raven long enough for me-with obvious bias- to thrust him past an obvious Ravens great (as an individual talent), until he does great for us himself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One point of interest, the Dolphins had 6 total sacks against the Browns.

Derrick Shelby, DE 1.0
Randy Starks, DT 1.5 (from UMD, what up!?!?!)
Cameron Wake, DE 2.5
Dion Jordan, DE 1.0

Not sure where the sacks came from along the Browns OL, but it appears that Suggs and Doom should be primed for big days of harassing Weeden.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:

Derrick Shelby, DE 1.0
Cameron Wake, DE 2.5
Dion Jordan, DE 1.0

Not sure where the sacks came from along the Browns OL, but it appears that Suggs and Doom should be primed for big days of harassing Weeden.

Quote:
@mattvensel: Here's a fun factoid heading into Browns week: Elvis Dumervil has nine sacks in four career games against the Browns. #Ravens

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
sp6488 wrote:

Derrick Shelby, DE 1.0
Cameron Wake, DE 2.5
Dion Jordan, DE 1.0

Quote:
@mattvensel: Here's a fun factoid heading into Browns week: Elvis Dumervil has nine sacks in four career games against the Browns. #Ravens

Wow, good find! Not nearly as eye-popping, but Sizzle has 13.0 sacks in 17 career games vs. the Browns, so he's had decent success in the past. Ravens are 15-2 in games Suggs has played in against Cleveland.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SuggTe99/splits/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sizzle, Doom and Canty combine for the most sacks in any regular season game in Ravens history this next Sunday.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this stat tracker threads, I did notice this though.

Quote:
5. Terrell Suggs (1997) - 12.0

Embarassed Wink

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks - 34 receptions, 278 yards, 1 first downs, 1 TD - 5 rushes, 64 yards, 3 first downs
Corey White - 29 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended, 1 fumble recovery
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Sizzle, Doom and Canty combine for the most sacks in any regular season game in Ravens history this next Sunday.

9 sacks is a pretty tall order, but would be awesome.

Nov. 27, 2006 was a great game (vs. Steelers)!

Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
I really like this stat tracker threads, I did notice this though.

Quote:
5. Terrell Suggs (1997) - 12.0

Embarassed Wink

Well, I don't really appreciate you coming in here and making things up to make me look bad.

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggs and Doom each notched a sack in the week 2 game vs. the Browns, bringing their total on the season to 4.0 through two games.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total team sacks, eight in two games. Not bad going at all. And I do think we're far from seeing the best this defense has to offer.

Tighten up that pass coverage a bit more, make QBs hang onto the ball a bit longer, and I think we could see something truly special this season.

Of course, the Texans' O-line is a different proposition, so we'll have to see how they do there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Total team sacks, eight in two games. Not bad going at all. And I do think we're far from seeing the best this defense has to offer.

Tighten up that pass coverage a bit more, make QBs hang onto the ball a bit longer, and I think we could see something truly special this season.

Of course, the Texans' O-line is a different proposition, so we'll have to see how they do there.

One thing about Houston that I think may benefit us is that they seem to run a lot of roll outs and other various long developing plays which may give guys like Suggs and Doom time to get to Schaub. Could be mistaken on how often they do this. Haven't looked at their offense in a while. They do run a fair number of screens IIRC, so our rush does need to be mindful of that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: