Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Conclusion about this group of players
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gmer47brown


Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Posts: 3309
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Conclusion about this group of players Reply with quote

Defensive front 7 is one of the best in the NFL because our Dline. Still would like to see more pressure off the edge but atleast we can shut down the run.

Secondary if terrible other that Joe Haden who maybe the best corner in the NFL or at least right there. Ward is overrated, Gipson is average and #2 corner (Skrine-Owens) is a liability.

Special teams on kickoff I'd like to see Benjamin.

Offense I'm not sure how we have made it to Cousins but anything would be better and I think Schwartz was hung out to dry dealing with Cousins horrid blocking and poor chips from our RBs.

You can't blame Weed for 2 ints that came off the hands of receivers and getting hit 20 times. Who I can blame is the play calling. There's no reason why we have a bull in TRich and not ride him into the ground then maybe playaction will actually work.

Receivers aside from Cameron and Bess were terrible, no seperation, no fight and I'm disappointed in that unit.

Basically I hope we can have a draft and free agency where we can actually bring in some real offensive weapons and depth but the way it's looking wouldn't be surprised if 1st pick was DB and that again stalls our offensive growth as a unit.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31408
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Conclusion about this group of players Reply with quote

gmer47brown wrote:
Defensive front 7 is one of the best in the NFL because our Dline. Still would like to see more pressure off the edge but atleast we can shut down the run.

Secondary if terrible other that Joe Haden who maybe the best corner in the NFL or at least right there. Ward is overrated, Gipson is average and #2 corner (Skrine-Owens) is a liability.

Special teams on kickoff I'd like to see Benjamin.

Offense I'm not sure how we have made it to Cousins but anything would be better and I think Schwartz was hung out to dry dealing with Cousins horrid blocking and poor chips from our RBs.

You can't blame Weed for 2 ints that came off the hands of receivers and getting hit 20 times. Who I can blame is the play calling. There's no reason why we have a bull in TRich and not ride him into the ground then maybe playaction will actually work.

Receivers aside from Cameron and Bess were terrible, no seperation, no fight and I'm disappointed in that unit.

Basically I hope we can have a draft and free agency where we can actually bring in some real offensive weapons and depth but the way it's looking wouldn't be surprised if 1st pick was DB and that again stalls our offensive growth as a unit.


how can you make a conclusion on a team that is so young with a brand new coaching staff in their 1st game!?!?! seriously?!?!

everyone in the front 7 played damn good. Bryant is a lot better then I thought he be

I thought Gipson and Ward played decent. Ward should of had an INT and Gipson had one. Skrine was put in bad situations by the way horton had him play Hartline. I could see giving Wallace cushion because his speed kills you. I cant see giving Hartline cushion because if you give him space he will run the perfect route and catch the easy pass. The one time Skrine tried to play aggressive because of all the dink and dunk passes was the only time Hartline pulled out the double move

WR group was disappointing but they are missing their #1 WR. Imagine how the Bengals pass offense would suck if Green was out. Its the same thing here. We need Gordan,
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
candyman93


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 42483
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheard and Kruger had a sack. We got pressure off of the edge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31408
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Sheard and Kruger had a sack. We got pressure off of the edge.

I cant wait to see what Mingo can do. If Sheard and Kruger were getting good pressure then Mingo could come in.

I will say I was impressed with Groves too. He looked pretty good rushing the passer also
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
pnies20


Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 7262
Location: Nashville through Erie, PA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of 3 or 4 players we played well. Those 4 players literally ruined the game.

Our LB are not physical enough for this D.
We need a #2 CB worse than a QB
Gilkey needs to start
Schwartz had first game jitters at a terrible time... Against one of the best DE in the league.

We're gonna be okay.
_________________
2013 Browns Forum HOF Inductee

<3 JF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gmer47brown


Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Posts: 3309
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Conclusion about this group of players Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
gmer47brown wrote:
Defensive front 7 is one of the best in the NFL because our Dline. Still would like to see more pressure off the edge but atleast we can shut down the run.

Secondary if terrible other that Joe Haden who maybe the best corner in the NFL or at least right there. Ward is overrated, Gipson is average and #2 corner (Skrine-Owens) is a liability.

Special teams on kickoff I'd like to see Benjamin.

Offense I'm not sure how we have made it to Cousins but anything would be better and I think Schwartz was hung out to dry dealing with Cousins horrid blocking and poor chips from our RBs.

You can't blame Weed for 2 ints that came off the hands of receivers and getting hit 20 times. Who I can blame is the play calling. There's no reason why we have a bull in TRich and not ride him into the ground then maybe playaction will actually work.

Receivers aside from Cameron and Bess were terrible, no seperation, no fight and I'm disappointed in that unit.

Basically I hope we can have a draft and free agency where we can actually bring in some real offensive weapons and depth but the way it's looking wouldn't be surprised if 1st pick was DB and that again stalls our offensive growth as a unit.


how can you make a conclusion on a team that is so young with a brand new coaching staff in their 1st game!?!?! seriously?!?!

everyone in the front 7 played damn good. Bryant is a lot better then I thought he be

I thought Gipson and Ward played decent. Ward should of had an INT and Gipson had one. Skrine was put in bad situations by the way horton had him play Hartline. I could see giving Wallace cushion because his speed kills you. I cant see giving Hartline cushion because if you give him space he will run the perfect route and catch the easy pass. The one time Skrine tried to play aggressive because of all the dink and dunk passes was the only time Hartline pulled out the double move

WR group was disappointing but they are missing their #1 WR. Imagine how the Bengals pass offense would suck if Green was out. Its the same thing here. We need Gordan,

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gmer47brown


Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Posts: 3309
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to make my text larger. I said our front 7 was one of the best in the NFL as far as our edges there were too many times where we brought the house and didn't even sniff the QB. Our safeties are average yes that includes Ward, and Haden is one of the best. This is just a fact.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaWg_LB.


Joined: 02 Dec 2005
Posts: 4678
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
Outside of 3 or 4 players we played well. Those 4 players literally ruined the game.

Our LB are not physical enough for this D.
We need a #2 CB worse than a QB
Gilkey needs to start
Schwartz had first game jitters at a terrible time... Against one of the best DE in the league.

We're gonna be okay.


I disagree with the two bolded statements...

1. Our LB's are plenty physical...Sheard and Kruger set the edges all day and made plays in the backfield....

2. Schwartz better get his act together.....a man doesn't get the gitters excuse after 16 starts....
_________________
-A team is built through the Draft.

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pnies20


Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 7262
Location: Nashville through Erie, PA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaWg_LB. wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
Outside of 3 or 4 players we played well. Those 4 players literally ruined the game.

Our LB are not physical enough for this D.
We need a #2 CB worse than a QB
Gilkey needs to start
Schwartz had first game jitters at a terrible time... Against one of the best DE in the league.

We're gonna be okay.


I disagree with the two bolded statements...

1. Our LB's are plenty physical...Sheard and Kruger set the edges all day and made plays in the backfield....

2. Schwartz better get his act together.....a man doesn't get the gitters excuse after 16 starts....


I meant ILB sry.
_________________
2013 Browns Forum HOF Inductee

<3 JF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mastercheddaar


Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 5016
Location: Northeast Ohio.. Obviously
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

one game observations...

Cousins should stick to being a tackle maybe? He is terrible as a guard. He caused 4 penalties, 2 sacks, and 4 QB hits. He also took 6 points off the board when we started to look like we were coming back.

Busted Skrine door and Owens - If they are the best we got then our defense is going to be passed on all year long. How many third and longs did Laurel and Hardy allow to convert into 1st downs?

Weeden - At the end of the day the offense success and defeats rests on his shoulders. That being said, his WRs and right side of the line should feel like first class heels for letting him take the blame.

that is all

Mastercheddaar
_________________
For those that don't know:
NFL - AFC Browns, NFC Eagles
Basket Ball - Cavs
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
Outside of 3 or 4 players we played well. Those 4 players literally ruined the game.

Our LB are not physical enough for this D.
We need a #2 CB worse than a QB
Gilkey needs to start
Schwartz had first game jitters at a terrible time... Against one of the best DE in the league.

We're gonna be okay.


I disagree with the two bolded statements...

1. Our LB's are plenty physical...Sheard and Kruger set the edges all day and made plays in the backfield....

2. Schwartz better get his act together.....a man doesn't get the gitters excuse after 16 starts....


I meant ILB sry.


I agree that our ILBs aren't exceptionally physical. But I think Robertson is fast and athletic enough to play the position. DQ is also not that fast, but has good athleticism and instincts--and experience.

I think they both have good potential to overcome their respective lacks of physicality and do rather well.

Time will tell, of course.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pmk


Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 12068
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
I agree that our ILBs aren't exceptionally physical. But I think Robertson is fast and athletic enough to play the position. DQ is also not that fast, but has good athleticism and instincts--and experience.

I think they both have good potential to overcome their respective lacks of physicality and do rather well.

Time will tell, of course.
I think Horton wants 2 rangy ILBs who can go sideline to sideline. The DL + OLB should be the guys taking on blocks, the ILB need to be quick to flow to the ball but still strong enough to blow up a FB or TE in the hole on occasion. I think Jackson and Robertson fit that mold to a T. Not worried at all about the front 7, looked great against the run, got decent pressure and will only improve as they gain experience together/get Mingo and Rubin back on the field.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31408
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmmm Reply with quote

Mastercheddaar wrote:
Busted Skrine door and Owens - If they are the best we got then our defense is going to be passed on all year long. How many third and longs did Laurel and Hardy allow to convert into 1st downs?



the one thing I get is why did Horton have them play off so much for the entire game. I can see giving Wallace cushion but giving Hartline 7yards of space to work in is asking to be picked apart. part of Hortons game plan as exposed. Doesnt surprise since his Cardinals defense got picked apart last year even worse by Miami
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
pnies20


Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 7262
Location: Nashville through Erie, PA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
Entropy wrote:
I agree that our ILBs aren't exceptionally physical. But I think Robertson is fast and athletic enough to play the position. DQ is also not that fast, but has good athleticism and instincts--and experience.

I think they both have good potential to overcome their respective lacks of physicality and do rather well.

Time will tell, of course.
I think Horton wants 2 rangy ILBs who can go sideline to sideline. The DL + OLB should be the guys taking on blocks, the ILB need to be quick to flow to the ball but still strong enough to blow up a FB or TE in the hole on occasion. I think Jackson and Robertson fit that mold to a T. Not worried at all about the front 7, looked great against the run, got decent pressure and will only improve as they gain experience together/get Mingo and Rubin back on the field.


The thing I noticed about our ILB is that whenever we needed pressure they were not intimidating anybody... It usually resulted in a big pass play.
_________________
2013 Browns Forum HOF Inductee

<3 JF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31408
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
pmk wrote:
Entropy wrote:
I agree that our ILBs aren't exceptionally physical. But I think Robertson is fast and athletic enough to play the position. DQ is also not that fast, but has good athleticism and instincts--and experience.

I think they both have good potential to overcome their respective lacks of physicality and do rather well.

Time will tell, of course.
I think Horton wants 2 rangy ILBs who can go sideline to sideline. The DL + OLB should be the guys taking on blocks, the ILB need to be quick to flow to the ball but still strong enough to blow up a FB or TE in the hole on occasion. I think Jackson and Robertson fit that mold to a T. Not worried at all about the front 7, looked great against the run, got decent pressure and will only improve as they gain experience together/get Mingo and Rubin back on the field.


The thing I noticed about our ILB is that whenever we needed pressure they were not intimidating anybody... It usually resulted in a big pass play.


to me it result in a big pass play because our DBs were playing so far back and having the LBs blitzing left the middle wide freaking open
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group