Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What are the Jets going to do about the horrible O line
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doumeyer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: The clock in Geno head Reply with quote

Geno Smith did better than i though he would do,look he is only a rookie, he only make one bad mistake in the game. What i liked about him he didn't panic, like Sanchez, sure he has a lot to learn, I really think Geno is worth the wait. We are still rebuilding, we still need a WR,Guard, and a top safety, and time
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically its taken our line a few games to get the run game going so I am not too worried just yet. Hopefully Winters works our for us because we desperately need this line to hold up. I am more concerned with our lack of play makers. Offseason should be filled with more of the "sexier" additions (WRs, RB, S, OLB/ILB)

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Davey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Historically its taken our line a few games to get the run game going so I am not too worried just yet. Hopefully Winters works our for us because we desperately need this line to hold up. I am more concerned with our lack of play makers. Offseason should be filled with more of the "sexier" additions (WRs, RB, S, OLB/ILB)

If Geno Smith does enough over the course of the season to show he's worth building around, that's definitely the goal next offseason. Build around him and give him plenty of tools to succeed. Especially since the first thing that's happening this offseason is the dumping of salaries like Sanchez and Holmes - we're going to have money and we're going to need to use it. Smartly, of course.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

If Geno Smith does enough over the course of the season to show he's worth building around, that's definitely the goal next offseason. Build around him and give him plenty of tools to succeed. Especially since the first thing that's happening this offseason is the dumping of salaries like Sanchez and Holmes - we're going to have money and we're going to need to use it. Smartly, of course.

Completely agree. It should be a nice offseason. Hopefully we don't go crazy but we bring in some real quality players without giving out Tannenbaum type contracts.

quietjetsket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

According to Idzik, Smith is our qb of the future so there is no "IF" BS for this position. Jets should start to adjust few players around Smith after week 3. If Ivory or Powell can't run fast enough to execute the offense plan, Jets should find someone who will. Same for TE and WR.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:

Even in the years we had the great OL and rushing numbers it took about 3-4 games to get rolling. Seriously it's been like 7 straight years of this lol.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

Even in the years we had the great OL and rushing numbers it took about 3-4 games to get rolling. Seriously it's been like 7 straight years of this lol.

LOL it seriously has. Thats why I don't get why everyone is getting on Ivory just yet. Listen this line isn't the 09-10 unit, but it should be above average, and Ivory should be a nice weapon for us, but we are still going to need a play making back at some point to develop with Geno.

Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offensive line was subpar. Ducasse was a weak link and Mangold didn't play well. Obviously they need a few weeks to get things sorted out but I still hope to see Winters step up and take a starting guard position.

- Cliff Burton
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Mangold get worse after that injury scare? Or was it all around?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:

Can you remember when the injury scare happened? He was missing blocks pretty early in the game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

Can you remember when the injury scare happened? He was missing blocks pretty early in the game.

Had to have been start of the 2nd half?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

Had to have been start of the 2nd half?

I think that's about right. I'm just about to kick on the 2nd half and finish up my grades and I haven't seen Schlauyddebergjneseff in yet. Mangold had a very rough 1st half. It's something I noticed warning signs of in pre-season, by the way. I don't know if his body is betraying him or if there is truth to the theory about him babying his LG and feeling uncomfortable/over-burdened.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mangold had a lot better of a second half after really struggling in the first. He had one "bad" play that I noticed in that second half. His blocker gets penetration and forces Ivory to cutback, even though Mangold still recovers and gets him to the ground.

Ducasse continued to struggle when the rest of the line really got it together. The right side of the line was simply perfect in pass protection outside of Colon's 1 whiff in the first half. Ferguson had the holding call that you can recall him basically tackling the blitzing safety and it really killed the drive. It's tough to say it wasn't a good decision by the Vet though, since Goldson might have literally beheaded Geno on the play.

The Bucs obviously noticed Ducasse's lack of awareness and comfort because they started stunting the LDE right up into his hole. This happened twice, one resulted in a blown up running play and the other a free runner at Geno (Ivory dropped the checkdown on the play, I believe). You could almost see Mangold trying to telepathically communicate to Ducasse to slide over and hit the free runner, but Ducasse is slow to react.

There was this ugly play in which both Bohanon and Ivory appeared to be in pass protection with Bohanon close to the inside. A Linebacker blitzed immediately and ran straight to Geno (inside of Bohanon) and neither back picked him up in pass protection. That's a block you need to make. I'm inclined to believe that's on Bohanon, but who knows?

Speaking of blocking from the backfield, in limited snaps under that role Ivory did fairly well. Better than Powell by most accounts, and that could really earn him more playing time (The Powell vs Ivory debate as a runner is a different conversation).

I'm more encouraged than scared about the defensive line, but I'm really let down in Ducasse who built my hopes up with some solid pre-season games. Just goes to show how different things are with a game-plan in place and a defense that will attack your weak spot. With some good coaching, he could still turn it around and play well. He had some nice run blocks and looked powerful as a lead blocker pulling into the right interior (Bohanon straight up laid a guy out on the same play, and then Powell fumbled it backwards). This line could still gel and be a very good line even with Ducasse in the line-up, but you've got to hope that Winters can get better and at some point replace Vlad.

Winters, by my evaluation in pre-season, would have done just as poorly if not worse than Ducasse by the way.

Hope this information has been useful for anyone. By the way, Howard played an outstanding game. That's why nobody has said a word about him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
Mangold had a lot better of a second half after really struggling in the first. He had one "bad" play that I noticed in that second half. His blocker gets penetration and forces Ivory to cutback, even though Mangold still recovers and gets him to the ground.

Ducasse continued to struggle when the rest of the line really got it together. The right side of the line was simply perfect in pass protection outside of Colon's 1 whiff in the first half. Ferguson had the holding call that you can recall him basically tackling the blitzing safety and it really killed the drive. It's tough to say it wasn't a good decision by the Vet though, since Goldson might have literally beheaded Geno on the play.

The Bucs obviously noticed Ducasse's lack of awareness and comfort because they started stunting the LDE right up into his hole. This happened twice, one resulted in a blown up running play and the other a free runner at Geno (Ivory dropped the checkdown on the play, I believe). You could almost see Mangold trying to telepathically communicate to Ducasse to slide over and hit the free runner, but Ducasse is slow to react.

There was this ugly play in which both Bohanon and Ivory appeared to be in pass protection with Bohanon close to the inside. A Linebacker blitzed immediately and ran straight to Geno (inside of Bohanon) and neither back picked him up in pass protection. That's a block you need to make. I'm inclined to believe that's on Bohanon, but who knows?

Speaking of blocking from the backfield, in limited snaps under that role Ivory did fairly well. Better than Powell by most accounts, and that could really earn him more playing time (The Powell vs Ivory debate as a runner is a different conversation).

I'm more encouraged than scared about the defensive line, but I'm really let down in Ducasse who built my hopes up with some solid pre-season games. Just goes to show how different things are with a game-plan in place and a defense that will attack your weak spot. With some good coaching, he could still turn it around and play well. He had some nice run blocks and looked powerful as a lead blocker pulling into the right interior (Bohanon straight up laid a guy out on the same play, and then Powell fumbled it backwards). This line could still gel and be a very good line even with Ducasse in the line-up, but you've got to hope that Winters can get better and at some point replace Vlad.

Winters, by my evaluation in pre-season, would have done just as poorly if not worse than Ducasse by the way.

Hope this information has been useful for anyone. By the way, Howard played an outstanding game. That's why nobody has said a word about him.

Ok. I thought PFF was crazy for raving about his play this game. Good to know they were not just going out on a limb.
sandwhich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard didn't miss a single block all game as far as I can remember. He did have an early holding penalty and someone on a blog website (can't remember where) got on him about letting his blocker go too quickly on a screen play. Had a strong push in the running game as well, and they started stunting his DE to the inside at Ducasse to get him some production.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: