Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What are the Jets going to do about the horrible O line
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doumeyer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: What are the Jets going to do about the horrible O line Reply with quote

The two guards were horrible, all day long the Tampa D line broke thru the two guard position all day, Ferguson,Howard and Mangold play well. Geno Smith did a great job under those conditions, and saved the game for us. We have to shore up the two guads position, or it going to be a long year. There was no pocket for Geno all day long. And the RB were hit in the backfield all game.
ganggreen1102

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pass blocking was fine to be honest. There were times where Geno had all day to throw the ball. Some of the times when he got sacked he held onto the ball wayy too long. Other times it was just guys who were unblocked coming on a blitz. The offensive line can't do much about that they just hope a RB can block him or Geno escapes the pocket which he did many times. Yes I agree with you on the running game. It seems that they've struggled a lot. It's only week one however and things can change dont forget that the bucs have a top 5 DT in Gerald McCoy who IMO is pretty damn hard to block. The only other guy who really hurt us was Clayborn. Clayborn plays end so its either a tackle or a TE who blocks him. We all knew Howard isn't a great pass blocker anyway but we held him to no sacks just a lot of pressures. We really can't judge too early but if this is happening in week 7 then we might have to think about making moves or draft choices in the offseason.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its early still, they need to gel. They need to block better than that and I think they can.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
doumeyer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: the pass blocking was fine to be honest ???????? Reply with quote

What game were you watching, the two guards suck. When did Geno have all the time in the world to pass. We all saw how bad the blocking was, and if you make a post please know what you are talking about.
sandwhich

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: the pass blocking was fine to be honest ???????? Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
What game were you watching, the two guards suck. When did Geno have all the time in the world to pass. We all saw how bad the blocking was, and if you make a post please know what you are talking about.

There were a few missed assignments which is correctable. When everyone was on the same page there were literally only two to three failed blocks against the line. Powell missed some blocks as well.

Your comment about knowing what you are talking about before posting is unneeded and could easily be turned against you since its opinion based. There were many times geno had excessive time to throw. The TD pass is a fantastic and obvious example.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: the pass blocking was fine to be honest ???????? Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:

I wouldn't be talking smack about making posts and not knowing what I'm talking about if I were you. It seems that you were the one who didn't watch the game and thank you, Sandwhich. Sandwhich showcased an excellent example, the offensive line gave him a ton of time to throw the ball on the TD pass and many other times. If you want an expert's opinion watch a re run of Loudmouths and Daily News Live and they both said that the pass blocking was excellent. Enough Said.
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucs also got a solid Dline and front 7 in general. Things will get easier

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jets were fine in pass protection. On Geno's first competion, the guy had 5-7 seconds to throw the ball. He mostly got sacked on plays where they were blitzing everyone and their mothers to get to him or where he held the ball too long. In terms of the run game, holes only stay open for so long and when our RB's are slow as hell getting to the holes, they're going to close eventually.

Props to JMG on the sig
jetfuel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
Jets were fine in pass protection. On Geno's first competion, the guy had 5-7 seconds to throw the ball. He mostly got sacked on plays where they were blitzing everyone and their mothers to get to him or where he held the ball too long. In terms of the run game, holes only stay open for so long and when our RB's are slow as hell getting to the holes, they're going to close eventually.

This 100%. He had time to throw but Tampa D line is very good. They have several 1st round picks just like us on the D line
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:

This ^^

You can't blame the line for the rook holding on to the ball too long which he did at times. Obviously the run blocking was not good but lets just give TB some credit as they are proven run stoppers and were daring Geno to beat them so I think the run game should pick up.

The real issue was the blitz pickup. I'm more concerned about that as when they brought pressure they rattled Geno. Need to sure up that cause teams will recognize that. I just think Powell had a bad game with his blitz pickup cause I've always thought he was solid in that department.

Overall the line was decent so the OP needs to relax with the "horrible" talk. Give them time they'll be ok.
sandwhich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a very close re-watch of the game right now. I'm midway through the second quarter. So far, Colon and Mangold got beat badly 1 on 1 in pass protection. On the Mangold occasions Ducasse should have probably helped but it's unclear what the assignments were (fixable problem). Colon just had a terrible play.

There's been a free rusher on two occasions thus far, and a 3+ second pocket on about 4 occasions (impressive). They struggled in the running game badly though.

The biggest letdown thus far is actually Mangold. 3 running plays were just blown up because he couldn't block his guy and he just looked uncomfortable in pass protection. TheJetsBlog.com does a game breakdown every week and they noticed the same thing, though their theory is that Mangold is uncomfortable because he's trying to help Ducasse fit along that line.

Going to finish watching the half now but then I have to get to work. Hopefully I can finish it up tonight and give the rest of the report on the offensive line.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as I post that the very next play is the Geno fumble, and Ducasse does a terrible job on the play. So credit 1 missed pass block for all the interior linemen, so far.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too thought the pass blocking was ok, Geno needs to do a better job of getting rid of the ball.

ProFootballFocus wrote:
Time in Pocket
We collect a host of data at PFF and one of the newer things we collect is time in the pocket data. What does this tell you? Well for starters you get a good idea of which quarterbacks are holding onto the ball the most. Take a look at the top three from this week so far;

1. Geno Smith (3.32)
2. Terrell Pryor (3.31)
3. Russell Wilson (3.09)
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
I too thought the pass blocking was ok, Geno needs to do a better job of getting rid of the ball.

ProFootballFocus wrote:
Time in Pocket
We collect a host of data at PFF and one of the newer things we collect is time in the pocket data. What does this tell you? Well for starters you get a good idea of which quarterbacks are holding onto the ball the most. Take a look at the top three from this week so far;

1. Geno Smith (3.32)
2. Terrell Pryor (3.31)
3. Russell Wilson (3.09)

Do you think it is possible that holding ball longer is necessary because he has option to run? In most of short passes he got rid of football just fine.

Does a bootleg count for this statistic?
Davey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno, especially early, lacked that clock in his head that all quarterbacks need, and overestimated his ability to successfully navigate broken down plays versus an NFL caliber defense. His mega-sack after the interception being case in point.

We'll see where we are after the first quarter of the season is over with the offensive line. Even when we had one of the league's premier running games it took us a little while for things to get going. Sometimes these things take a bit of time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: