Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Selvie a long term option?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Selvie a long term option? Reply with quote

I was really inpressed by Selvie and how high motor he is. Always pursuing the play, never gives up and made a couple nice plays in both pass rush and run stop scenarios. Could he be the long term solution to Spencers position? Or is he just a stop gap who had a decent game and will never amount to more than a rotational depth player?

Last edited by MaddHatter on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Selvie a long term option? Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
I was really inpressed by Selvie and how high motor he is. Always pursiin the play, necer gives up and made a coupke nice pkays in both pass rush and run stop scenarios. Could he be the long term solution to Spencers position? Or is he just a stop gap who had a decent game and will never amount to more than a rotational depth player?

Selvie has talent, he just never has been able to put it together thus far into his NFL career. He was labeled as someone with first round talent, but a guy who had sixth round production.

Maybe by working with Marinelli, he will develop those skills and be able to put his ability to use. It sure would be a big plus for the Cowboys if he turned into Spencer's replacement.

^^^Deadpulse
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Selvie a long term option? Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
I was really inpressed by Selvie and how high motor he is. Always pursiin the play, necer gives up and made a coupke nice pkays in both pass rush and run stop scenarios. Could he be the long term solution to Spencers position? Or is he just a stop gap who had a decent game and will never amount to more than a rotational depth player?

Selvie has talent, he just never has been able to put it together thus far into his NFL career. He was labeled as someone with first round talent, but a guy who had sixth round production.

Maybe by working with Marinelli, he will develop those skills and be able to put his ability to use. It sure would be a big plus for the Cowboys if he turned into Spencer's replacement.

That basically sums it up. He seems to be a guy who needs to feel pressured in order to stay motivated, so I wouldn't be discouraged to draft a DE early in the 2014 draft, even if it's just as a means of keeping Selvie motivated. Plus, it gives us some insurance in case he doesn't work out. But, his play last night was spectacular. He was incredibly disruptive, especially for a guy who really hasn't played in a year. I'd be hard pressed not to sign him to a reasonable deal after this season if he play the entire season like he did last night.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 game does not a career make. It is way too early to make any kind of evaluation on Selvie.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
BloodOps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll answer this question around Week 10, it is only one game.

Saying that, he did look great last night.
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others, don't want to rush to judgment on Selvie, but he did look good.

If he continues at this pace, I would give him a modest 3 year deal and that would help soften the blow with a loss of Spencer. Remember, we also have Crawford on IR who can help keep pressure on Selvie, but I would not be objective to taking an early round flyer on a DE.

Along with a DT and an OG! First 3 rounds, TRENCHES!!!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looked good last night, but much to early to say anything definitive. Either way, I still want to target at least one DL early in next year's draft.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he plays like that every week? YES!
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
1 game does not a career make. It is way too early to make any kind of evaluation on Selvie.

Yep. Love what I've seen from the guy thus far, but he's bounced around the league for a reason. That said, this may be/hopefully is a case of someone blooming late and finding his niche in a defense that suits his style/talents.

Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
obie16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if he is still playing well around the trade dead line what would be the chances of us trading spencer?
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying it's impossible for Selvie to become a long-term starter, but Laurant Robinson looked really great for us for one year. That's how I view Selvie at the moment. There is no doubt he's an impact player for our defense this year. But we've got a long way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obie16 wrote:
So if he is still playing well around the trade dead line what would be the chances of us trading spencer?

Approximately 0.0. You don't spend all of your cap space in a given offseason on a player, just to flip him for a 3rd or a 4th at the deadline.

Also, I like Kyle Wilber as much as the next guy, but he has shown virtually nothing. There's nothing wrong with having 3 good defensive ends.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
obie16 wrote:

Approximately 0.0. You don't spend all of your cap space in a given offseason on a player, just to flip him for a 3rd or a 4th at the deadline.

Also, I like Kyle Wilber as much as the next guy, but he has shown virtually nothing. There's nothing wrong with having 3 good defensive ends.

Why not try and get something out of him now. Since he is more than likely walking next year anyway. I'm not as knowledgable when it comes to the money side of football but from a long term point of few to me it makes sense to get what we can out of him.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obie16 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
obie16 wrote:

Why not try and get something out of him now. Since he is more than likely walking next year anyway. I'm not as knowledgable when it comes to the money side of football but from a long term point of few to me it makes sense to get what we can out of him.

If we trade him, I believe we will be responsible for his entire cap hit this season ($10MM) and whoever we trade him to won't have to pay him a dime.

So, basically we'd be shelling out $10MM to a guy to do nothing for us. Not really a smart business decision.

^^^Deadpulse
obie16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
obie16 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
obie16 wrote:

If we trade him, I believe we will be responsible for his entire cap hit this season ($10MM) and whoever we trade him to won't have to pay him a dime.

So, basically we'd be shelling out $10MM to a guy to do nothing for us. Not really a smart business decision.

Got it. Thanks for clearing up the money side of it for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: