Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NEWS and NOTES: Cowboys #1 in NFC E edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nfl: .
Quote:
@LT_21's Top 5 RBs (Wk 1):

1. L. McCoy
2. R. Bush
3. S. Vereen
4. J. Charles
5. D. Murray

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
@nfl: .
Quote:
@LT_21's Top 5 RBs (Wk 1):

1. L. McCoy
2. R. Bush
3. S. Vereen
4. J. Charles
5. D. Murray

Really?

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
Da Boyz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Yes. It can't be said enough. The Crowd noise. I think thats the thing I am MOST proud of. The Country Club Cowboys are gone!

At least for 1 game, the crowd actually got it. It'll be interesting to see if the same atmosphere lasts all season.

We do seem to have some of the quietest fans in the league.

I went to the game vs Giants last year. It was the most odd feeling stadium I have ever been in. I would describe it as going to watch a movie. I felt so disconnected from the field, was sitting there comfortable with a huge screen to watch. I was in upperdeck near the goaline. They play all these jokes, ads, and other things you usually see at baseball games like a kiss cam. Heinz field doesn't do anything like that as I recall. Pretty much everything played is football content, pump up music, etc. I tried to scream and all that. It just felt so pointless so far away with few people around doing it. The stadium is way too luxurious IMO.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NFC Special Teams Player of Week 1: @dallascowboys Dwayne Harris (@D_Harris17)

https://twitter.com/RLiuNFL/status/377809465791115264

Tom Brady Tribute
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/11/pereira-officials-wrongly-gave-victor-cruz-a-td-on-incomplete-pass/

Quote:
According to Mike Pereira, the former NFL head of officiating, the official on the field got it wrong, and the replay assistant got it wrong, too: According to Pereira, there is no difference between the Cruz play and the Johnson play, and under NFL rules both should be considered incomplete passes.

“The Cruz catch was ruled complete. It should not have. Ball came loose when he hit the ground. He did not complete the process,” Pereira wrote on Twitter.

I will have to agree with Pereira on this one! I watched that play over and over. I mentioned it in the game day thread and in other blogs and forums at that time. This was not a catch.

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
NFC Special Teams Player of Week 1: @dallascowboys Dwayne Harris (@D_Harris17)

https://twitter.com/RLiuNFL/status/377809465791115264

Well Desereved.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If he makes it on the field, he’s likely to see more of the constant double-teaming like the Giants used last week to hold him to four largely harmless catches.

“That’s the world he’s going to live in for the rest of his career,” coach Jason Garrett said Monday at Valley Ranch. “The really good players have to understand that. They just have to keep fighting through it.”
-------------------------------------------

“I thought from an emotional standpoint, he handled it well,” Garrett said. “He kept battling. He kept trying to give Tony chances to throw him the football. We tried to do a couple of things to give him a chance to get free and get away from those guys.”

Garrett said the Cowboys will move Bryant to different sides of the field and keep looking for him, but it’s up to Bryant to win against double coverage sometimes.

“You can’t just sit there and say, ‘OK, he’s going to line up here every time. OK, you win,’ ” Garrett said. “You have to make sure you keep getting him the ball. At the same time, you don’t want to get so bogged down trying to get one guy the ball. We have other guys who can catch the ball and do positive things for us. … Dez is certainly a featured guy in our offense, but when he gets a lot of attention, you have to be able to go to other guys and be effective with it.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/09/dez-bryant-needs-to-get-used-to-double-teams-the-world-hes-going-to-live-in-the-rest-of-his-career-s.html#storylink=cpy

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DeMarcus Ware and George Selvie share PFF's game balls, and they, along with the defensive line, graded out very well.

DeMarcus Ware (50/61, +5.4) may not have had a sack, but an interception, one QB hit and six hurries rank him as the fifth best DE in the league
Jason Hatcher (49/61, +4.2) had one sack and added four hurries from the DT position, which ranks him as the third best DT in the NFL after Week 1.
George Selvie (47/61, +3.4) was the most productive lineman from a statistical point of view, notching a sack, two QB hits and four hurries, good enough to rank him 10th out of 48 4-3 DEs.
Nick Hayden (47/61, +2.7) rounds out the good performance of the four starting rushmen and collected one QB hit and one hurry from the 1-technique position. Hayden ranks 14th among 63 defensive tackles in the league.

And rounding up this Week 1 summary are the three linebackers: Bruce Carter (55/61, +1.9), Sean Lee (61/61, +1.7), and Justin Durant (18/61, +0.7) all graded out positively, with Carter and Lee each ranking 6th in the league at their positions.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/9/11/4718344/grading-giants-cowboys-performances-of-note

So our DE's are 5th and 10th.. Our DTs are 3rd and 14th after one week.

And that is missing two starters.

Shocking if you read the comments on this website.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
htfryar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

Agreed. I'd hate to see what it would be like if our guys played badly.

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
DeMarcus Ware and George Selvie share PFF's game balls, and they, along with the defensive line, graded out very well.

DeMarcus Ware (50/61, +5.4) may not have had a sack, but an interception, one QB hit and six hurries rank him as the fifth best DE in the league
Jason Hatcher (49/61, +4.2) had one sack and added four hurries from the DT position, which ranks him as the third best DT in the NFL after Week 1.
George Selvie (47/61, +3.4) was the most productive lineman from a statistical point of view, notching a sack, two QB hits and four hurries, good enough to rank him 10th out of 48 4-3 DEs.
Nick Hayden (47/61, +2.7) rounds out the good performance of the four starting rushmen and collected one QB hit and one hurry from the 1-technique position. Hayden ranks 14th among 63 defensive tackles in the league.

And rounding up this Week 1 summary are the three linebackers: Bruce Carter (55/61, +1.9), Sean Lee (61/61, +1.7), and Justin Durant (18/61, +0.7) all graded out positively, with Carter and Lee each ranking 6th in the league at their positions.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/9/11/4718344/grading-giants-cowboys-performances-of-note

I don't think its shocking that that individual DLmen played well against a beat up giants' OL. And, I think you may be missing the big picture as it relates to the DL.

This is what I wrote BEFORE the game...

The_Slamman wrote:
acowboys62 wrote:
I love this team as much as the next person, but I am just pretty shocked at the confidence for this first game by multiple people on this board.

We have never beaten the Giants in our house.
We have some serious D Line depth issues at the moment.
We still do not know who is starting where on the O Line for the most part.
Claiborne has seen 0 reps this pre-season if I am not mistaken.
We have no idea what to expect from our Safeties.
We always show up poor on Sunday Night Football.

I don't know, I expect a close game, a hard fought game that comes down to the final 10 minutes, as per usual. But confidence? Yea I don't have that.

Agreed.

A time will come in the second half where our DL will be worn out. Thats a given. Controlling the clock and turnovers will be the keys to Dallas winning. And, Dallas has to score TDs in the red zone. Conversely, Dallas has to hold NYG to FGs. But, I think it will be a close game that Dallas "should" pull out at home. Like you said... Not a lot of confidence that they will.

I think I pretty much nailed it in every aspect. More to the point, the DL was worn out in the second half. Keep in mind that the defense was only on the field for 22 minutes. Dallas dominated the TOP and the DL still got gassed. IMO, the Giants DL was much more fresh in the 4th quarter despite being on the field a lot longer. I think that's the big picture when we talk about DL. With the lack of depth, how will they hold up over 4 quarters? And, I have a feeling they are going to be tested for 4 full quarters this Sunday.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense intended, Slam, but the idea the defense "wore out" is bunk.

I re-watched the game and we went into prevent at 4:55 remaining in the 3rd qtr. The safeties literally drop out of the picture (haven't yet watched the all-22). Until then the team had absolutely shut the Giants down. Take away the Cruz TD where the entire defense was flat footed at the snap because of late playcall (score one big fat demerit for coaching) and Eli Manning was 6/12, 115yds, 0 TD, 2 INT at that point in the game for a 44.1 passer rating (please note, these figures still include the Nicks pass, but not the 2 sacks we had at that point in the game).

The Giants fought back to within a score (although we now know that one of the TDs should not have counted). And we tightened back up again until we reopened a two TD lead.

Here's every play of those two drives:
Quote:
Inc short right for Da'rell Scott
Inc short right for Hakeem Nicks
Sacked by Jason Hatcher
Punt
(after a Dallas Punt)
Pass Short middle to Da'rell Scott 5 yds
Inc short middle for Da'rell Scott
Pass Deep Middle for Reuben Randle for 26yds
Pass short right for Da'rell Scott intercepted by Brandon Carr returned 49 yds for a TD.

For those keeping track at home, that's 7 dropbacks, 2/6, 31 yds, 1 sack, 0TD, 1 INT. Passer Rating 11.8 for MR. Clutch -- the man Collinsworth had just got done saying was his choice every time for this situation. We simply decided to stop them and did. Twice. One drive ended on a sack, the next on an INT.
matt79511

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Pereira said that the Cruz catch wasn't a touchdown, but the NFL hasn't come out and said the same thing (and probably won't). I get the argument that there was nothing different between that play and the non-touchdown for Calvin Johnson, but all that really tells me is that Megatron should've scored.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see this during the game? Somehow I missed it.

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's nice Laughing

^^^mack
textaz03

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Shannon_PG: Jason Witten needs 2 catches to pass Shannon Sharpe 815 for 2nd on the NFL's career receptions leaders list for TE's. Gonzalez 1,245

Should be easily accomplished in 2 days!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: