Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NEWS and NOTES: Cowboys #1 in NFC E edition
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: NEWS and NOTES: Cowboys #1 in NFC E edition Reply with quote

Quote:
Head coach Jason Garrett describing the makeup of his team:

“A smart, tough, relentless group of guys who understand how to play winning football and play 60 minutes. Who always have each other’s backs, who do the right things, play in, play out to help us win games.”

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-1/They-Said-It-Players-Coaches-Sound-Off-After-Sundays-Game/04e60c6c-d528-4290-8d97-0b269eaedde1

Quote:
DeMarcus Ware, the pass-rusher who plays defensive end, stormed to the sidelines and the profanities started to fly.

Jay Ratliff, of all people, stopped Ware in his tracks and calmed him down.

"You know he's not a calm down guy," Ware joked when talking about the injured defensive tackle.

Ware and Ratliff didn't want to see the same old problems the Cowboys have had with this team. So Ware calmly talked to his men.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4714469/demarcus-ware-calms-down-and-leads-the-defense

Quote:
Unprompted, Tony Romo brought up the crowd’s impact on the game.

“I just want to say that was as good as I’ve seen our home stadium,” Romo said. “If they continue to do that, this is going to be a tough place to play. I was really excited about the way they brought the energy and the noise level that was throughout the football game. That was awesome to see.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4714540/tony-romo-lauds-home-crowd

Quote:
Without looking at the game film, I really liked what I saw from Tyron Smith at left tackle and how consistent he was. I thought he played with skill, technique and power. He was dominate in space and was a force out on the edge, both on the run and pass. It didn’t matter who the Giants put to Smith's side, he was able to handle the job without fail. He had the one bad holding call and the motion penalty but other than those two mistakes, he was at his best.

It was a frustrating game for Dez Bryant, but give the Giants credit. They were not going to let the talented receiver beat them. Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell put a cornerback in his face and shaded a safety over the top, but also buzzed a linebacker in the flat to take away some of his opportunities to run his slant.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Scouts-View-Defense-Stops-Wilson-Smith-At-His-Best/63f592c7-6ea1-427f-b845-49ada7f15330

Quote:
But, causing fumbles and interceptions? Ripping the ball away from the carrier like Nick Hayden and Barry Church did that caused David Wilson to have a spot over on the sideline next to his coach? Well, those are not random at all. Those are players deciding that they aren't just trying to stop the ball carrier, they want to rob him, too. And that flair is what any Dallas fan has to be excited about from a defense that is comprised of both star players and unknowns. They attacked last night and showed an energy that was quite impressive. The very optimistic idea that they could "get there with 4" actually happened; the Cowboys front 4 - despite no Jay Ratliff or Anthony Spencer - generated a reasonable amount of pressure on the Giants banged-up OL all night, causing Eli some distress as he threw a giant yardage total - and 3 crucial interceptions.

There is so much more to discuss, but you simply have to lead with your defense shortening your field on a number of occasions and stopping the Giants enough - despite some very gaudy yardage numbers. And if someone like me is going to blow off the idea of lots of yards - like the last meeting between these two teams when Romo and the offense rolled up plenty of yards but were foiled by too many giveaways, well, then we can easily see the parallels between last night and previous Giants' visits.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/story/The-Morning-After-Takeaways-Steal-The-He?blockID=937785&feedID=9348

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Giants defense was determined not to allow Bryant to blow up, like he did in the second half of the 2012 season, when he caught 50 passes for 879 yards and eight touchdowns in the last eight games. New York doubled-teamed Bryant “the whole game,” quarterback Tony Romo said, with a cornerback playing press coverage and a safety over the top.

“Hey, I got my stats through Witt, through Miles, through Tony and the rest of the other guys,” Bryant told ESPNDallas.com after receiving treatment for a foot injury suffered in the fourth quarter. “[The Giants] respected me tonight. I know what I can do. Everybody across this world knows what I can do. And they know, if the ball is thrown my way, I'm going to get to it. I don't care if it's double [coverage], triple or whatever. I'm going to try my best to get to it.

“But we play smart football here. We want to win, and I think we went the smart route tonight.”

That meant not force-feeding the Cowboys' most explosive playmaker. Bryant was targeted eight times, but Romo only took one deep shot to No. 88, and that pass by the wounded quarterback fell well short for an incompletion.

The Giants' game plan certainly was not a surprise. Bryant knew there was a strong possibility that New York would make him the primary focus of their defensive scheme. It's why head coach Jason Garrett frequently says that Bryant can be an improved player if his statistics aren't as good as last season's.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It can't be said enough. The Crowd noise. I think thats the thing I am MOST proud of. The Country Club Cowboys are gone!

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Yes. It can't be said enough. The Crowd noise. I think thats the thing I am MOST proud of. The Country Club Cowboys are gone!

At least for 1 game, the crowd actually got it. It'll be interesting to see if the same atmosphere lasts all season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

At least for 1 game, the crowd actually got it. It'll be interesting to see if the same atmosphere lasts all season.

We do seem to have some of the quietest fans in the league.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

We do seem to have some of the quietest fans in the league.
and dumbest (when at the stadium) to many times do I hear the crowd noise get loud when our Offense is on the field! I even heard it a time or two last night. [inappropriate/removed]'s it supposed to be the other way around!!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez 5m
Jerry says on radio all the injured guys should play. Says Dwayne Harris 'will get more time' at no. 3 receiver.
Jerry says Cowboys have to keep close eye on Dez foot sprain but he should be able to play.

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 6m
Jerry Jones on Philadelphia Eagles offense: "I don't know that that's a fad." Their offense looked faster than I thought it would be.

Tom Orsborn ‏@tom_orsborn 9m
Jerry Jones on Eagles: "They could be a real formidable team for us."
Jerry Jones on his reaction to Romo going down Sunday night: "My heart stopped."

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 10m
Jerry on Romo: "he's sore, man." Romo should play.
Jerry Jones said he hopes Anthony Spencer and Brian Waters can play this week at KC.

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 13m
Jerry says on KRLD-FM that Mo Claiborne's shoulder is biggest injury concern. Will have to wear brace. "Chance he can go this week."
Hope is that Anthony Spencer and Brian Waters "will play some snaps" this week, per Jerry on KRLD-FM.

plan9misfit wrote:

textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@calexmendez: Cowboys rank 30th in defense after Week 1. Every team ranked 25th or worse lost except them.

And in response

@TomRyleBTB: @calexmendez Remember there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. According to ProFootballFocus' rating system, they are #2 in the league.

The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'll just say "you're welcome" for the crowd noise. I can't take all the credit... Merely the lions share of it.

I will say that the organization is doing all the right things from a crowd noise perspective. Michael Irvin gives a pre-kickoff talk to the crowd to pump everyone up. Then, every third down the announcer tells everyone to get on their feet and get loud. They also have the screens around the stadium flashing "third down." The good thing is that once a good amount of people stand up, almost everybody stands up to see the play.
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@therealmarklane: Here's one the media isn't telling you. Last Sunday was the 3rd straight game Garrett's Cowboys have had less penalties than their opponent.

Hmmm, discipline, work in progress??

Rtnldave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, allow me to biatch for just a moment, living in South Philly. After the Iggles impressive 1st half of football, everyone else should just fold the season and give the Lombardi trophy to Vick, Chip and the Iggles organization. yesssss sir, that's correct, everyone here is all a glow with super bowl in their eyes.
Dosen't matter that they were outscored 20 to 7 in the 2nd half, you know, when they themselves were exhausted from the pace they set early on. Doesn't matter that Griffin the III was rusty as an iron gate submerged in salt water. Dosen't matter that the Redskins played almost as poorly as the Giants, if that is possible, in the first half.
Nope, they are all bought in hook, line and sinker. I could not believe the things I heard on sports radio today.
"Iggles will win AT LEAST 10 games." "Iggles will sweep the NFC East."
"Iggles will contend this year."

All of this off of 1 half of football?????????? And I thought some of us were delusional, Jeesss!
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Well, allow me to biatch for just a moment, living in South Philly. After the Iggles impressive 1st half of football, everyone else should just fold the season and give the Lombardi trophy to Vick, Chip and the Iggles organization. yesssss sir, that's correct, everyone here is all a glow with super bowl in their eyes.
Dosen't matter that they were outscored 20 to 7 in the 2nd half, you know, when they themselves were exhausted from the pace they set early on. Doesn't matter that Griffin the III was rusty as an iron gate submerged in salt water. Dosen't matter that the Redskins played almost as poorly as the Giants, if that is possible, in the first half.
Nope, they are all bought in hook, line and sinker. I could not believe the things I heard on sports radio today.

All of this off of 1 half of football?????????? And I thought some of us were delusional, Jeesss!

Remember how after signing Asomugha, Jenkins and the like the Eagles were guaranteed to make the Super Bowl? Y'know..."Dream Team" and what not?

Remember how that panned out? I see the same exact thing happening this year.

^^^Deadpulse
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Remember how after signing Asomugha, Jenkins and the like the Eagles were guaranteed to make the Super Bowl? Y'know..."Dream Team" and what not?

Aww man it's frickin unreal around here. I mean, I know they had a tough year last year and, without me lying, that offense was very impressive.

BUT!!!! It is only week 1. AND, they looked gassed in the 2nd half, Vick looked hurt, they didn't get a lot of pressure etc.

See, this is why I cannot be an Iggles fan and never could in the past. They get all dewey and giggly like over a good win, being fair, and an impressive new approach. But c'mon folks, it's Sept??????
I actually heard one guy call in today saying he thinks this Iggles team will be like the 1999 Rams, the greatest show on turf.

Oh well, just par for the course around here.
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Aww man it's frickin unreal around here. I mean, I know they had a tough year last year and, without me lying, that offense was very impressive.

BUT!!!! It is only week 1. AND, they looked gassed in the 2nd half, Vick looked hurt, they didn't get a lot of pressure etc.

See, this is why I cannot be an Iggles fan and never could in the past. They get all dewey and giggly like over a good win, being fair, and an impressive new approach. But c'mon folks, it's Sept??????
I actually heard one guy call in today saying he thinks this Iggles team will be like the 1999 Rams, the greatest show on turf.

yep! All the radio stations here, local media, news papers all talking about Beagles being SB bound after yesterday's performance. Goin to love when they fall flat on their arse!! I hate being in enemy territory! Can't wait to move back to Texas!!!'

Rtnldave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

yep! All the radio stations here, local media, news papers all talking about Beagles being SB bound after yesterday's performance. Goin to love when they fall flat on their arse!! I hate being in enemy territory! Can't wait to move back to Texas!!!'

And what's more, they call themselves The most knowledgable fans in the league.

Really? And they are believing this SB talk????

Sounds wayyyyyy premature to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: