Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quick question on jay cutler ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cody513


Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 126
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForteOz wrote:
cody513 wrote:
ForteOz wrote:
kurtatx wrote:
cody513 wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
Its a make or break year cor Cutler. I think if he does not perform this year the Bears will look to go a diffrent direction at the QB position


This is how most view it. I like Cutler, but he definitely has to prove some things this year. The Offensive Line is a lot more solid now as well. He really needs to take us where we want to go.


So would you say week one is the type of game that gets Cutler the new contract?


Yes, emphatically. Did you watch the game?


Yeah, he played much better in the 2nd half. 1st half had a hard time getting anything going really. Not going to base too much off of Week 1. Just got to keep building and getting better every week.


What were your expectations for the first half?
From my perspective I wanted to see two things: Cutler standing up at the end of the play, and no dumb picks (which, IMO are closely related). This was week 1 of a brand new offense, with a brand new line, against a damn good defense. Way better than anything we had seen in the preseason.

What we needed to do was build these guys' confidence and find out what we have on that line and get Jay to spread the ball around to whoever was open. We did exactly that, and the training wheels came off a bit for the second half.

If you expected us to come out slinging it all over the field, then you were probably disappointed. But if you heard Trestman talk about his goals for the offense, the number one thing he emphasized was protecting the football. Once the offense proved they could do that, and a big part of protecting the football is keeping your quarterback clean, then we saw a different plan of attack.

What would have been disastrous, was starting out run for 3, sack, strip sack change of possession. That happens and who knows how the rest of the game shakes out.


When did I say I expected something else? Just said the 1st half was a bit rough at times, which it was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ForteOz


Joined: 03 Sep 2013
Posts: 511
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cody513 wrote:
ForteOz wrote:
cody513 wrote:
ForteOz wrote:
kurtatx wrote:
cody513 wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
Its a make or break year cor Cutler. I think if he does not perform this year the Bears will look to go a diffrent direction at the QB position


This is how most view it. I like Cutler, but he definitely has to prove some things this year. The Offensive Line is a lot more solid now as well. He really needs to take us where we want to go.


So would you say week one is the type of game that gets Cutler the new contract?


Yes, emphatically. Did you watch the game?


Yeah, he played much better in the 2nd half. 1st half had a hard time getting anything going really. Not going to base too much off of Week 1. Just got to keep building and getting better every week.


What were your expectations for the first half?
From my perspective I wanted to see two things: Cutler standing up at the end of the play, and no dumb picks (which, IMO are closely related). This was week 1 of a brand new offense, with a brand new line, against a damn good defense. Way better than anything we had seen in the preseason.

What we needed to do was build these guys' confidence and find out what we have on that line and get Jay to spread the ball around to whoever was open. We did exactly that, and the training wheels came off a bit for the second half.

If you expected us to come out slinging it all over the field, then you were probably disappointed. But if you heard Trestman talk about his goals for the offense, the number one thing he emphasized was protecting the football. Once the offense proved they could do that, and a big part of protecting the football is keeping your quarterback clean, then we saw a different plan of attack.

What would have been disastrous, was starting out run for 3, sack, strip sack change of possession. That happens and who knows how the rest of the game shakes out.


When did I say I expected something else? Just said the 1st half was a bit rough at times, which it was.


I didn't make any claim about your expectations, I asked what they were and told you mine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cody513


Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 126
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForteOz wrote:
cody513 wrote:
ForteOz wrote:
cody513 wrote:
ForteOz wrote:
kurtatx wrote:
cody513 wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
Its a make or break year cor Cutler. I think if he does not perform this year the Bears will look to go a diffrent direction at the QB position


This is how most view it. I like Cutler, but he definitely has to prove some things this year. The Offensive Line is a lot more solid now as well. He really needs to take us where we want to go.


So would you say week one is the type of game that gets Cutler the new contract?


Yes, emphatically. Did you watch the game?


Yeah, he played much better in the 2nd half. 1st half had a hard time getting anything going really. Not going to base too much off of Week 1. Just got to keep building and getting better every week.


What were your expectations for the first half?
From my perspective I wanted to see two things: Cutler standing up at the end of the play, and no dumb picks (which, IMO are closely related). This was week 1 of a brand new offense, with a brand new line, against a damn good defense. Way better than anything we had seen in the preseason.

What we needed to do was build these guys' confidence and find out what we have on that line and get Jay to spread the ball around to whoever was open. We did exactly that, and the training wheels came off a bit for the second half.

If you expected us to come out slinging it all over the field, then you were probably disappointed. But if you heard Trestman talk about his goals for the offense, the number one thing he emphasized was protecting the football. Once the offense proved they could do that, and a big part of protecting the football is keeping your quarterback clean, then we saw a different plan of attack.

What would have been disastrous, was starting out run for 3, sack, strip sack change of possession. That happens and who knows how the rest of the game shakes out.


When did I say I expected something else? Just said the 1st half was a bit rough at times, which it was.


I didn't make any claim about your expectations, I asked what they were and told you mine.


It was the first game of the year and a lot of new parts, didn't really have any really set in stone expectations. I just wanted to see the Offensive Line block well for Jay and see what he could do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ForteOz


Joined: 03 Sep 2013
Posts: 511
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider: How bad were we last year in the red zone?

Yesterday we were 100% in the red zone (3/3) and goal to go (1/1).

And despite those long scoring drives by the Bengals, we won TOP 31:30 (helped no doubt by the final drive and the Bengals abysmal use of time outs).

On the flip side, Cin was 100% in both as well. So much for bend but don't break.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22260
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForteOz wrote:
Another thing to consider: How bad were we last year in the red zone?

Yesterday we were 100% in the red zone (3/3) and goal to go (1/1).

And despite those long scoring drives by the Bengals, we won TOP 31:30 (helped no doubt by the final drive and the Bengals abysmal use of time outs).

On the flip side, Cin was 100% in both as well. So much for bend but don't break.


Worse still was that Cinccy were 7/11 of 3rd down…that is a 63% conversion rate…last year we allowed only 36% of 3rd down conversions…Mel Tucker has to figure out if it was just the pass rush who were at fault or if it were in part because of some of his play calling...a lot to sort out on that D and we shouldn’t let 3 takeaways gloss over the cracks altho they are the 2nd most important thing of a good D IMO.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2013…Martellus Bennett…65 Rec…759 Yards…11.7 Avg…5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ForteOz


Joined: 03 Sep 2013
Posts: 511
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
ForteOz wrote:
Another thing to consider: How bad were we last year in the red zone?

Yesterday we were 100% in the red zone (3/3) and goal to go (1/1).

And despite those long scoring drives by the Bengals, we won TOP 31:30 (helped no doubt by the final drive and the Bengals abysmal use of time outs).

On the flip side, Cin was 100% in both as well. So much for bend but don't break.


Worse still was that Cinccy were 7/11 of 3rd down…that is a 63% conversion rate…last year we allowed only 36% of 3rd down conversions…Mel Tucker has to figure out if it was just the pass rush who were at fault or if it were in part because of some of his play calling...a lot to sort out on that D and we shouldn’t let 3 takeaways gloss over the cracks altho they are the 2nd most important thing of a good D IMO.


You are exactly right.
As optimistic as I am about our offense after that game, I am equally worried about the drop off from our D.
In Lovie's days, it felt like the exception when a team would both sustain a long drive AND put it in the end zone. Green Bay could do it to us pretty consistently, but that was about it.
When was the last time a team put together 3 long drives that all ended in touchdowns against the bears, at home?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group