Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sam Baker back to his old self as soon as he got paid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terrell123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Robert Alford also didn't play many NFL caliber wide receivers at SE Louisiana, yet he looked damn good against the Saints.
Relevance 0

You are talking about level competition. I brought up a guy who played lesser competition.
That wasn't the point I was making when I brought up level of competition.
Wasn't Flacco MVP of the SB? How was his competition at Delaware? Gotta agree with Scar on this one. Theres A TON of ballers from smaller schools. As a matter of fact, I cant think of any SEC(the so called powerhouse conference) qb's in the league, not named Manning, Stafford. or Cutler. And if it wasn't for CJ, and BMarshall the latter two wouldn't be anything special either(besides big arms and inconsistency. Big Ben(Miami of Ohio), Andy Dalton(TCU), Colin Kaepernick(Nevada)Aaron Rodgers(California), Alex Smith(Utah) to name a few. CJ2K(East Carolina), Matt Forte(Tulane), Ray Rice(Rutgers) Alfred Morris(Florida Atlantic), Doug Martin(Boise St), Ryan Clady(Boise St), Eric Fisher(Cent Mich), Doug Free(Southern Illinois), Donald Penn(Utah St), Will Beatty(UConn) None of these guys played against the "best" competition in college. Lack of competition means absolutely nothing imo. Talent is talent. Some guys take longer to develop.(So the BIG schools over look them. Not saying Im a Holmes fan or anything. Just sayin. Hell, our best pass rusher(Osi) and cb(Assante) went to Troy and Central Florida respectively. Not much competition there Wink Besides, he was talking about technique.
tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrell123 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Robert Alford also didn't play many NFL caliber wide receivers at SE Louisiana, yet he looked damn good against the Saints.
Relevance 0

You are talking about level competition. I brought up a guy who played lesser competition.
Wasn't Flacco MVP of the SB? How was his competition at Delaware? Gotta agree with Scar on this one. Theres A TON of ballers from smaller schools. As a matter of fact, I cant think of any SEC(the so called powerhouse conference) qb's in the league, not named Manning, Stafford. or Cutler. And if it wasn't for CJ, and BMarshall the latter two wouldn't be anything special either(besides big arms and inconsistency. Big Ben(Miami of Ohio), Andy Dalton(TCU), Colin Kaepernick(Nevada)Aaron Rodgers(California), Alex Smith(Utah) to name a few. CJ2K(East Carolina), Matt Forte(Tulane), Ray Rice(Rutgers) Alfred Morris(Florida Atlantic), Doug Martin(Boise St), Ryan Clady(Boise St), Eric Fisher(Cent Mich), Doug Free(Southern Illinois), Donald Penn(Utah St), Will Beatty(UConn) None of these guys played against the "best" competition in college. Lack of competition means absolutely nothing imo. Talent is talent. Some guys take longer to develop.(So the BIG schools over look them. Not saying Im a Holmes fan or anything. Just sayin. Hell, our best pass rusher(Osi) and cb(Assante) went to Troy and Central Florida respectively. Not much competition there Wink Besides, he was talking about technique.

You forgot about Cam who played at UF and Auburn. But system is a huge thing as well. Sometimes guys who play at these "elite" NCAA schools are just a product of that system and when they come to the NFL they can't quite get it. For example: USC. How could you not be successful with that talent pool that comes into the school. Booty, Sanchez, Palmer, Linehart... All of them were average to bad QB's in the NFL. They were a product of that System at USC.

That being said, maybe Holmes is a better LT than he is RT. We just don't know yet. This is his first real season. We gotta give him time before we throw him completely to the wolves. Now if you want to complain about Baker, Blaylock or Reynolds then im all for that! They are vets and have zero excuses!

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
You forgot about Cam who played at UF and Auburn. But system is a huge thing as well. Sometimes guys who play at these "elite" NCAA schools are just a product of that system and when they come to the NFL they can't quite get it. For example: USC. How could you not be successful with that talent pool that comes into the school. Booty, Sanchez, Palmer, Linehart... All of them were average to bad QB's in the NFL. They were a product of that System at USC.

That being said, maybe Holmes is a better LT than he is RT. We just don't know yet. This is his first real season. We gotta give him time before we throw him completely to the wolves. Now if you want to complain about Baker, Blaylock or Reynolds then im all for that! They are vets and have zero excuses!

Reynolds in pass pro is horrible... he makes the whole right side look worse. But he is a solid run blocker. I just wish the Falcons would realize that they either need to a) CALL MORE RUNS or b) Call more screens to help divert the pressure.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
terrell123 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Relevance 0

No one is saying players from lesser schools can't be good. My poi t and I believ swooshes point is judging their ability to play lt solely from one year at southern miss isn't smart.
terrell123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
terrell123 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Relevance 0

No one is saying players from lesser schools can't be good. My poi t and I believ swooshes point is judging their ability to play lt solely from one year at southern miss isn't smart.
1 yr at UGA, 1 year at Florida, 1 yr at Southern Miss. No different. Again, he was talking about technique.
swoosh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
terrell123 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Relevance 0

Pretty much this. Scar was trying to say Holmes looks more comfortable at LT. My point is you're going to look more comfortable when you're going up the lines that he faced at Southern Miss versus the lines he is facing now in the NFL. I don't think it's a LT versus RT thing. I think it's more that he's still raw and unexperienced at this level. Putting him at LT isn't going to change that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
terrell123 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Relevance 0

Pretty much this. Scar was trying to say Holmes looks more comfortable at LT. My point is you're going to look more comfortable when you're going up the lines that he faced at Southern Miss versus the lines he is facing now in the NFL. I don't think it's a LT versus RT thing. I think it's more that he's still raw and unexperienced at this level. Putting him at LT isn't going to change that.

Yeah I see where you are coming from. I don't think either of you are completely wrong or right. There is no right or wrong answer because we haven't seen Holmes play enough and we haven't seen him play LT for us at all. That being said, the OLine as a whole has to grow up and gel together fast if we plan on making a Superbowl run. I'd like to see uss run the ball more and become more balanced. Having Matt throw the ball 50 to 60 times a game is not what any of us should want. That isn't winning football and this Oline can't protect for that many dropbacks.

You got Steven Jackson, JQuizz and Snelling. Use them. Whatever you gotta do (checkdowns, screens, stretches, counters, draws...) whatever. Balance will allow Matt to stay healthy and will also allow this Oline to gel.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
swoosh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
terrell123 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Relevance 0

Yeah I see where you are coming from. I don't think either of you are completely wrong or right. There is no right or wrong answer because we haven't seen Holmes play enough and we haven't seen him play LT for us at all. That being said, the OLine as a whole has to grow up and gel together fast if we plan on making a Superbowl run. I'd like to see uss run the ball more and become more balanced. Having Matt throw the ball 50 to 60 times a game is not what any of us should want. That isn't winning football and this Oline can't protect for that many dropbacks.

You got Steven Jackson, JQuizz and Snelling. Use them. Whatever you gotta do (checkdowns, screens, stretches, counters, draws...) whatever. Balance will allow Matt to stay healthy and will also allow this Oline to gel.
Exactly, which is why I (and I believe GSU) are having a hard time finding truth in scar's "theory." He is basing it off of college film and it's just not the same. Nobody is saying Holmes can't play LT, but to say he is better off there because he looks more comfortable there is a baseless claim. Of course he's going to look more comfortable in college when he was going against the competition that Southern Miss faced.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:

Exactly, which is why I (and I believe GSU) are having a hard time finding truth in scar's "theory." He is basing it off of college film and it's just not the same. Nobody is saying Holmes can't play LT, but to say he is better off there because he looks more comfortable there is a baseless claim. Of course he's going to look more comfortable in college when he was going against the competition that Southern Miss faced.[/quote]

I think the issue that you have is that you aren't reading into what I said about he looked just as uncomfortable at RT in college. Which is why I thought it was a LT vs. RT thing in the first place.

swoosh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
I think the issue that you have is that you aren't reading into what I said about he looked just as uncomfortable at RT in college. Which is why I thought it was a LT vs. RT thing in the first place.
Maybe that has something to do with him barely playing any RT at Southern Miss. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
terrell123 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Relevance 0

Hell, you can say that about MOST rookies coming into the league. My lil cousin Nuk Hopkins told me the speed of the game is unbelievable. You have to adjust to it. And he was one of the top rec's drafted. Just sayin. Nuuuuuuuuuuuk!! Btw, Im headed to Houston at the end of September. Very Happy Go Falcons..... Go Texans
swoosh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrell123 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
terrell123 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Relevance 0

Hell, you can say that about MOST rookies coming into the league. My lil cousin Nuk Hopkins told me the speed of the game is unbelievable. You have to adjust to it. And he was one of the top rec's drafted. Just sayin. Nuuuuuuuuuuuk!! Btw, Im headed to Houston at the end of September. Very Happy Go Falcons..... Go Texans
Exactly, which is why it is a baseless claim.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are weak in the trenches period. Baker is slightly above average at his best. TD wayyyy over paid for him. 3 mil for tony g to come back for one year when we could've gotten Someone like Jared Cook AND kept Clabo. Holmes the project who was a major reach when we drafted him starting at rt... The whole thing was just handled poorly IMO...

#FreeToddGurley
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
We are weak in the trenches period. Baker is slightly above average at his best. TD wayyyy over paid for him. 3 mil for tony g to come back for one year when we could've gotten Someone like Jared Cook AND kept Clabo. Holmes the project who was a major reach when we drafted him starting at rt... The whole thing was just handled poorly IMO...

Jared Cook got 5 year, 35 million. What are you talking about?
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
Mike Johnson was the starting RT over Holmes... had Johnson not injured his Ankle, Holmes still would be a backup right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: