Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Game Balls & Jock Straps Week 1 Vs Giants
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never once said that 6 TOs isn't an anomaly. It's like you pick and choose what you are reading.

The Defense played much better than I could have hopped. I expected that to be the liability and the offense to continue to bail them out. That wasn't the case at all this game.

You can huff and puff all you would like - we don't agree. I felt the defense played really well as a whole. My stance hasn't changed. I was very happy with how the Defense played. They can't continue making the same mistakes, obviously, but for this game they were the MVPs.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas also recovered both of their own fumbles and an up-for-grabs onside kick. Not necessarily sustainable.

A lot to like, a lot to work on

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I have never once said that 6 TOs isn't an anomaly. It's like you pick and choose what you are reading.

Actually, yes you did:

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I don't understand how a positive thing is an anomaly (even though we are forcing TOs in droves now carried over from Pre-Season) but the negatives are somehow going to be considered a staple.

Forcing 6 turnovers in a game is an anomaly. Otherwise, it would happen all the time. And it doesn't. So yes, you said it.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Actually, yes you did:

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I don't understand how a positive thing is an anomaly (even though we are forcing TOs in droves now carried over from Pre-Season) but the negatives are somehow going to be considered a staple.

Forcing 6 turnovers in a game is an anomaly. Otherwise, it would happen all the time. And it doesn't. So yes, you said it.

Read the whole sentence again. I wasn't arguing it's bound to keep happening, I just don't understand how a negative can be considered reoccurring but a positive can't. Read it again, never once did I say I expect it to constantly happen, Plan9.

In Redball I Trust!
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Dallas also recovered both of their own fumbles and an up-for-grabs onside kick. Not necessarily sustainable.

A lot to like, a lot to work on

The part in bold is my opinion in a nutshell. I'm happy with some of the things I saw, and concerned with others. Improvements must be made to prevent some of last night's mistakes from lingering throughout the season as we've seen from this team for many years. We don't always learn from our mistakes. Rather, we cling to the happy happy parts, ignore the areas that need improvement and then sit around scratching our heads wondering why we aren't playing well later in the season. Last night's game provides the team the perfect opportunity to genuinely build on something and make improvements so long as we don't get complacent and rest on our laurels. Meaning, we can't say that we were "lights out" and then move on. We need to say that we did "A, B, and C" really, really well, but "D,E, and F" really, really poorly, and then take the steps necessary to correct them.

Northland wrote:
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Actually, yes you did:

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Read the whole sentence again. I wasn't arguing it's bound to keep happening, I just don't understand how a negative can be considered reoccurring but a positive can't. Read it again, never once did I say I expect it to constantly happen, Plan9.

Anomalies are called anomalies because they DON'T happen consistently, T_O7. Hence, why last night's performance was one, where our defense has ordinarily underperformed for years. I don't need to read the sentence again. Forcing 6 turnovers in one game is an anomaly. Yet, also giving up 31 points - even WITH those turnovers - is something to be concerned with. Because, again, had we only forced 5 turnovers, we would've lost. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why it's difficult for you to understand my point. You (and this is always) highlight the negative and make it as if it will always happen but dismiss the positive.

I didn't EVER say we will keep getting 6 TOs. That rate is insane. But you choose to ignore what I said and made your own opinions. I really don't care. I have my opinion and was very pleased with the defense. You seem to be bother. Can't really help you if you choose to read what only you want to read.

In Redball I Trust!
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I don't know why it's difficult for you to understand my point. You (and this is always) highlight the negative and make it as if it will always happen but dismiss the positive.

I didn't EVER say we will keep getting 6 TOs. That rate is insane. But you choose to ignore what I said and made your own opinions. I really don't care. I have my opinion and was very pleased with the defense. You seem to be bother. Can't really help you if you choose to read what only you want to read.

You clearly didn't read all of my posts.

Northland wrote:
THE BIG CHEEZE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Justin Hoover82 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Well, given that this is the GameBall for this game, this crap about the unlikelihood of sustaining the amount of TOs we get per game is not relevant. The defense has things to work on. Absolutely. But the Game ball is typically, at least when I give it out, to the individual or individuals who are directly responsible for the victory.

So I don't know why people are making up false debates to be had. A convo about the defense needing to improve can be had (and all aspects, really) but it seems the fact this is the GameBall thread has been missed by some.

Your statement that the defense was "lights out" was challenged, T_O7. That's not a "false debate", nor was it made up. While the defense helped us win, it still gave up 500 yards and 31 points. To claim that it was "lights out" is overstating things. The defense did what was necessary to win, but it gave up far too many big plays to be in the "lights out" discussion. That's all.

You are arguing semantics now. And we disagree.

What's to disagree on? Did we not give up 31 points? Did we not give up multiple big pass plays which led to multiple TDs? Did Eli not throw for 450 yards? Explain to me how that is "lights out". MH mentioned the same thing in the game day thread.

T_O7, this isn't semantics. It's an issue that will need to be addressed if we expect to continue winning because forcing 6 turnovers in one game is an anomaly. We can't expect those things to happen regularly, so we need to make sure that we also won't be giving up so many yards and points regularly.

Cowboys are also not going to be playing the Giants every week. The Giants have a great cast of weapons and Eli can get things done at times. Yeah the boys wont get 6 turnovers every week, but they also are not going to give up 500 yards every week either.

I'm not disagreeing with that, Justin. All I'm saying is that given all of the variables: 6 turnovers, 50 rushing yards, 450 passing yards, 4 passing TDs, and 31 total points give up, that isn't lights out play.

To put it bluntly, the Giants would've beaten us had Eli not thrown that last INT. In other words, even with our defense forcing 5 turnovers, we still would've lost had that last defensive TD not happened. Why isn't that resonating with anyone?

The offense only scored six points on three turnovers. They Defense kept giving them the ball back and they did nothing with it. If the cowboys would have scored more points and made them one dimensional, the game would not have been close. The defense could have pinned their ears back and let loose even more. The fact they had to deal with the threat of the run into the third quarter was a direct correlation of the offense being stale. So maybe the term "lights out" is a "slight" stretch, but considering the amount of help they got it isn't that far off. Whats more of an anomaly is offense not capitalizing on the turnovers. I would give the D an -A on the day. They stopped the giants inside the one yard line which was huuuuuuuuuuuuge play in the game. So I'm okay with saying they were lights out, since they also scored two touchdowns and iced the game. They started strong, and finished with pick six back breaker.
THE BIG CHEEZE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a game ball goes out the special teams who were horrible all preseason. They kicked well, covered well, and got a turnover. I was waiting all night for something bad to happen and it never came.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BIG CHEEZE wrote:
The offense only scored six points on three turnovers. They Defense kept giving them the ball back and they did nothing with it. If the cowboys would have scored more points and made them one dimensional, the game would not have been close. The defense could have pinned their ears back and let loose even more. The fact they had to deal with the threat of the run into the third quarter was a direct correlation of the offense being stale. So maybe the term "lights out" is a "slight" stretch, but considering the amount of help they got it isn't that far off. Whats more of an anomaly is offense not capitalizing on the turnovers. I would give the D an -A on the day. They stopped the giants inside the one yard line which was huuuuuuuuuuuuge play in the game. So I'm okay with saying they were lights out, since they also scored two touchdowns and iced the game. They started strong, and finished with pick six back breaker.

Those are all excellent points. And I agree that the offense really needed to capitalize on those turnovers and didn't. Some of the playcalling after those turnovers was really suspect and erratic, which assuredly handcuffed us a bit. As an example, noting that Romo attempted 33 passes before haltime was a little much. We should've focused on running a little more and taking better shots in the end zone. Three of Romo's passes were ridiculously off the mark due to some really bad route running, miscommunication, and him having a slight case of the yips early on.

Northland wrote:
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Justin Hoover82 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Well, given that this is the GameBall for this game, this crap about the unlikelihood of sustaining the amount of TOs we get per game is not relevant. The defense has things to work on. Absolutely. But the Game ball is typically, at least when I give it out, to the individual or individuals who are directly responsible for the victory.

So I don't know why people are making up false debates to be had. A convo about the defense needing to improve can be had (and all aspects, really) but it seems the fact this is the GameBall thread has been missed by some.

Your statement that the defense was "lights out" was challenged, T_O7. That's not a "false debate", nor was it made up. While the defense helped us win, it still gave up 500 yards and 31 points. To claim that it was "lights out" is overstating things. The defense did what was necessary to win, but it gave up far too many big plays to be in the "lights out" discussion. That's all.

What's to disagree on? Did we not give up 31 points? Did we not give up multiple big pass plays which led to multiple TDs? Did Eli not throw for 450 yards? Explain to me how that is "lights out". MH mentioned the same thing in the game day thread.

T_O7, this isn't semantics. It's an issue that will need to be addressed if we expect to continue winning because forcing 6 turnovers in one game is an anomaly. We can't expect those things to happen regularly, so we need to make sure that we also won't be giving up so many yards and points regularly.

Cowboys are also not going to be playing the Giants every week. The Giants have a great cast of weapons and Eli can get things done at times. Yeah the boys wont get 6 turnovers every week, but they also are not going to give up 500 yards every week either.

I'm not disagreeing with that, Justin. All I'm saying is that given all of the variables: 6 turnovers, 50 rushing yards, 450 passing yards, 4 passing TDs, and 31 total points give up, that isn't lights out play.

To put it bluntly, the Giants would've beaten us had Eli not thrown that last INT. In other words, even with our defense forcing 5 turnovers, we still would've lost had that last defensive TD not happened. Why isn't that resonating with anyone?

Well, now I disagree . I say the D would have held them regardless
PDeezy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB: D-Line - if everyone stays healhty (fingers crossed) this could be a strength of the team.

O-Line minus Bernie - he should be cut as soon as possible.

They both performed much better than expected.

JS: Will Allen - If you don't know your assignment then try this: don't let anyone run past you.

Mo - He was giving a huge pre-snap cushion...and then kept the cushion throughout the route. I hope he improves by ten-fold.

T. Williams - Catch the daaaamn ball and run your routes.

As for the debate on the defense - they did enough to get the win. Not lights out by any means, but they didn't give up the game winning drive, and they got some stops when we needed it. I'll take that. Lot's to improve upon, but they took the gifts they were handed and were constantly going for the strip.

R.I.P. B2TB
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Justin Hoover82 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Well, now I disagree . I say the D would have held them regardless

I'm not sure I agree, but I'm glad that we didn't have to find out! Our offense didn't do as much with some of those turnovers as we needed.

Northland wrote:
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who is Will Allen's back up???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: