Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What gives with the refs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm over it. Secure the freaking ball and you don't have to worry bout this ish.

Calvin needs to work on his concentration, he's a little rusty out the gate.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refs blow calls all the time. For every "big one" they make hundreds of correct calls.

Sometimes it sucks for us and sometimes it works in our favor. Just part of the NFL.
amaru0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
amaru0 wrote:

Rewatch that Laim, CJ pulls the ball in then dives and extends it. As a bonus, read Stafford's reaction to the whole thing.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/09/matthew_stafford_surpsised_to.html

Amaru0! OMG!

LOL... What? It's not like I disappeared for a few years or anything! Wink
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:

LOL... What? It's not like I disappeared for a few years or anything! Wink

Military, right? Welcome back!
heretic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
WillieYoungSon wrote:
I think we should all band together and light up one of the NFL shows (NFL Total Access, NFL AM, or NFL Live) with emails or tweets to get this media attention. We are constantly the victims in these situations and it needs to get some media time.

Another coach last year, don't remember who but I read an article on it, made the same mistake as Schwartz last year and only we were penalized. You go from that to the famous Calvin Johnson rule and things start looking a little out of hand.

What really brings me to a fever pitch though, is great coaches do not let this happen. The Harbaughs, Belicheiks, Peytons, all would bring attention to these problems and connect the dots from the inconsistent calls on these obscure rules. Schwartz hasn't done anything and won't do anything. I know it goes against sportsmanship to get after the refs on the field, but they are human and can be influenced and it shows. The great ones do it early and often, and Schwartz needs to do the same.

What do you guys think?

I don't feel as though this is entirely correct. Although I do recall the coaches listed a few times calling out refs, it seems to me that it is the exception, not the rule. Great teams play well enough and are mentally prepared enough to overcome poor calls is how I feel. After a time, the refs start calling plays in their favor a bit just because they are good. We haven't earned that level of respect.

That said I really do dislike blaming refs and claiming bias because as I said, I feel the team should just overcome bad calls to prove they deserve it, but there were quite a few bad calls against the Lions yesterday. Not going to lie. Not sure if I would go so far as to call it a bias, but I do feel the Lions have earned that position all on their own.

I do hear you on that. But its calvin johnson. Hes proven to be not just an amazing player, but an all around great person. Cruz has not proven anything yet. Its because he plays on the Giants. Johnson plays on Lions. CJ will never get respect playing for the Lions.
ForteOz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what up guys, Bears fan here.
Just wanted to throw in my two cents after watching that game.

You guys got it RAW with that first called back CJ touchdown, wow. Glad it did not end up costing you the game.

Dunno if you guys have already thrown out this conspiracy theory, but do you think there is any chance the league is trying to send the team (Suh in particular) a message by picking on Calvin?

I wouldn't put it past Goodell.

Anyway, good luck this year, your team looks legit, and I hope you get exactly 3 more division wins. Smile
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForteOz wrote:
Hey, what up guys, Bears fan here.
Just wanted to throw in my two cents after watching that game.

You guys got it RAW with that first called back CJ touchdown, wow. Glad it did not end up costing you the game.

Dunno if you guys have already thrown out this conspiracy theory, but do you think there is any chance the league is trying to send the team (Suh in particular) a message by picking on Calvin?

I wouldn't put it past Goodell.

Anyway, good luck this year, your team looks legit, and I hope you get exactly 3 more division wins. Smile

I just think that Calvin always makes the refs think of that stupid blown call a few years ago so whenever there is any question, they over analyze it and screw up again. No one even thought of the rule when Cruz scored because he isn't Calvin and has never been a part of a process of the catch blown call.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
jimmydee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, it's simple. There is a difference in 'possession' and 'control'. If you don't know the difference, you'll never understand the rule.

And Dr.Ray11..so, you're saying rules don't matter? That is what is wrong with our society, in general. Rules only apply when they favor you.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Guys, it's simple. There is a difference in 'possession' and 'control'. If you don't know the difference, you'll never understand the rule.

And Dr.Ray11..so, you're saying rules don't matter? That is what is wrong with our society, in general. Rules only apply when they favor you.

Where did I say that? I think Calvin made a second act.

Inferring I'm what's wrong with society... cool beans, man.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:

... right.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlHyGAw4ffY

This was ruled a "catch" because he held the ball out, which was a "second act". That's the only reason it was a catch.

You cannot possibly tell me that Calvin didn't do the same.

Team Stylish
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

... right.

This was ruled a "catch" because he held the ball out, which was a "second act". That's the only reason it was a catch.

He had control the whole time inthe video though
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

... right.

Watch again. Not only did he lose control when he hit the ground (the ball shifted in his hands), he loses it completely when the play continues and the defender runs into him.

Edit: statement from the NFL at the time of the Moore catch.
Quote:
“By rule, when a receiver with possession of the ball is in the act of going to the ground and performs a second act by reaching out to break the plane, that completes the process of the catch and the ball is dead when it breaks the plane.”

Team Stylish
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
DetroitPride26 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

... right.

Watch again. Not only did he lose control when he hit the ground (the ball shifted in his hands), he loses it completely when the play continues and the defender runs into him.

Quote:
“By rule, when a receiver with possession of the ball is in the act of going to the ground and performs a second act by reaching out to break the plane, that completes the process of the catch and the ball is dead when it breaks the plane.”

but it never hits ground or anything. It just moves a little while in endzone and then he gains control again. Is that illegal?
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
DetroitPride26 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

... right.

Quote:

but it never hits ground or anything. It just moves a little while in endzone and then he gains control again. Is that illegal?

It's fully on the ground. Better shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG9ZESObvus

Team Stylish
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
DetroitPride26 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
DetroitPride26 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

... right.

Quote:

It's fully on the ground. Better shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG9ZESObvus

Oh wow!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: