Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What gives with the refs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: What gives with the refs? Reply with quote

Sooo Calvin Johnson's touchdown is called back, but they take no time even reviewing Cruz's but call his a touchdown? Same. Exact. Play.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013090812/2013/REG1/giants@cowboys#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&pbp=gc-pbp-cd

Click on the highlight on the score summary to see it. It won't be the initial video that comes on.
ManeLine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, total bull. The refs are so inconsistent with this crappy "rule". Sometimes they enforce and other times they just completely ignore it.

If it looks like a TD then call it a TD. Quit making it more complicated than it is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is crazy!!!!! Calvin had both feet down then both elbows....This guy had one leg and dived in.....they owe Calvin big time...
Maverick12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny because my phone blew up as soon as that Cruz TD happened.

Very inconsistent.

Team Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back the replacement refs. Sure they were terrible, but at least they weren't terrible and biased like the regular refs.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
cowboys_50

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just coming on ur forum to ask u guys about this. Calvin is victim every time
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should all band together and light up one of the NFL shows (NFL Total Access, NFL AM, or NFL Live) with emails or tweets to get this media attention. We are constantly the victims in these situations and it needs to get some media time.

Another coach last year, don't remember who but I read an article on it, made the same mistake as Schwartz last year and only we were penalized. You go from that to the famous Calvin Johnson rule and things start looking a little out of hand.

What really brings me to a fever pitch though, is great coaches do not let this happen. The Harbaughs, Belicheiks, Peytons, all would bring attention to these problems and connect the dots from the inconsistent calls on these obscure rules. Schwartz hasn't done anything and won't do anything. I know it goes against sportsmanship to get after the refs on the field, but they are human and can be influenced and it shows. The great ones do it early and often, and Schwartz needs to do the same.

What do you guys think?
stafford=legend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the TD, which was REALLY close, I think the refs did a decent job yesterday. Calvin shouldn't have reached for the goal-line when he was already there...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stafford=legend wrote:
Other than the TD, which was REALLY close, I think the refs did a decent job yesterday. Calvin shouldn't have reached for the goal-line when he was already there...

Why? Why wouldn't you want to make a football act to get in the endzone for seven points as opposed to risk not scoring?
stafford=legend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
stafford=legend wrote:

Why? Why wouldn't you want to make a football act to get in the endzone for seven points as opposed to risk not scoring?
He was already in though. He didn't need to extend at all on that TD.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stafford=legend wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
stafford=legend wrote:

That's not the point. The point is extending the football for a first down or touchdown is considered football move. The end zone is also treated differently (to the receivers advantage) than the rest of the field. The biggest problem is Cruz's was a touchdown, CJ's was called back. We are constantly the scapegoats of this kind of inconsistency.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieYoungSon wrote:
I think we should all band together and light up one of the NFL shows (NFL Total Access, NFL AM, or NFL Live) with emails or tweets to get this media attention. We are constantly the victims in these situations and it needs to get some media time.

Another coach last year, don't remember who but I read an article on it, made the same mistake as Schwartz last year and only we were penalized. You go from that to the famous Calvin Johnson rule and things start looking a little out of hand.

What really brings me to a fever pitch though, is great coaches do not let this happen. The Harbaughs, Belicheiks, Peytons, all would bring attention to these problems and connect the dots from the inconsistent calls on these obscure rules. Schwartz hasn't done anything and won't do anything. I know it goes against sportsmanship to get after the refs on the field, but they are human and can be influenced and it shows. The great ones do it early and often, and Schwartz needs to do the same.

What do you guys think?

I don't feel as though this is entirely correct. Although I do recall the coaches listed a few times calling out refs, it seems to me that it is the exception, not the rule. Great teams play well enough and are mentally prepared enough to overcome poor calls is how I feel. After a time, the refs start calling plays in their favor a bit just because they are good. We haven't earned that level of respect.

That said I really do dislike blaming refs and claiming bias because as I said, I feel the team should just overcome bad calls to prove they deserve it, but there were quite a few bad calls against the Lions yesterday. Not going to lie. Not sure if I would go so far as to call it a bias, but I do feel the Lions have earned that position all on their own.
stafford=legend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieYoungSon wrote:
stafford=legend wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
stafford=legend wrote:

That's not the point. The point is extending the football for a first down or touchdown is considered football move. The end zone is also treated differently (to the receivers advantage) than the rest of the field. The biggest problem is Cruz's was a touchdown, CJ's was called back. We are constantly the scapegoats of this kind of inconsistency.
Yeah I know, that's why I said Calvin's TD was the one call I thought was wrong. I simply said that reaching was unnecessary when you're already in the end-zone and when it causes you to bobble the ball around a bit, which is what he did; we all saw the replays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
WillieYoungSon wrote:

What do you guys think?

I don't feel as though this is entirely correct. Although I do recall the coaches listed a few times calling out refs, it seems to me that it is the exception, not the rule. Great teams play well enough and are mentally prepared enough to overcome poor calls is how I feel. After a time, the refs start calling plays in their favor a bit just because they are good. We haven't earned that level of respect.

That said I really do dislike blaming refs and claiming bias because as I said, I feel the team should just overcome bad calls to prove they deserve it, but there were quite a few bad calls against the Lions yesterday. Not going to lie. Not sure if I would go so far as to call it a bias, but I do feel the Lions have earned that position all on their own.

^ I don't like blaming refs, unless they absolutely deserve it. The Calvin TD deserves it. Especially when I watched numerous players do the exact same thing all day yesterday and not one of those TDs were retracted. The Reggie Bush TD I understand, he was down outside. But Calvin was in the endzone, he crossed the plane. By Rule, that's a TD and was all day yesterday, except for Calvin.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieYoungSon wrote:

What do you guys think?
schwartz should have went off imo but all the other bs he has done made it look like he was scared to or he just gave up.. we seem like the poster boys for rule changes. We ain't the darling of the nfl until then nothings gonna change and suh ain't help with that change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: