Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Game Balls Week 1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Game Balls Week 1 Reply with quote

You have 3 game balls to give out.

1. Jay Cutler, we started slow to gy comfortable and then in the 2nd half he ripped the Bengals secondary, made plays with his legs and took us down the field to win the game.

Best of all

Marshall 8 Catches
Bennett 3 Catches
Jeffery 5 catches
Forte 4 Catches

That is the distribution that we wanted to see.

2. Charles Tillman, when the defense was on their heels he made plays to stop drives. He struggled at times with Green but he stopped the bleeding.

3. The OL, the Bengals had 40+ sacks from their DL last season and the Bears allowed 0 sacks.

The Bears OL did not dominate on the ground or the pass game, but they slowed down a defense that would have destroyed us last season.

The attitude was also different as you saw Long and Mills actively cleaning piles off and defending teammates. Mills not retaliating on the Mualaga penalty was awesome.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Balls Week 1 Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

The attitude was also different as you saw Long and Mills actively cleaning piles off and defending teammates. Mills not retaliating on the Mualaga penalty was awesome.

It also showed professionalism as he held his temper. Also the fact that Jay was right there to keep it from escalating and that Mills listened without a hitch shows how much he is respected by the young guys. He is the leader of the offense, regardless of what anyone thinks.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't give Tillman a game ball. He made those 2 great plays but he always got burnt often. Cutler, Marshall and Paea for me.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Cutler-Even early on the struggles weren't his fault, bad play calling & drops plagued the offense in the first half

Kyle Long-I may not stop gushing over this performance for a while, just WOW, I don't think I've seen a game in 2 years where Geno Atkins was so irrelevant

Stephen Paea, Tim Jennings, Peanut-All 3 guys made some plays on defense today.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Balls Week 1 Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

It also showed professionalism as he held his temper. Also the fact that Jay was right there to keep it from escalating and that Mills listened without a hitch shows how much he is respected by the young guys. He is the leader of the offense, regardless of what anyone thinks.

I really love that we have a couple of rookie acting like physical enforcers and not letting people push themselves of anyone else around.

I jumped out of my chair when Bennett was getting pushed around in the endzone and all of a sudden I see Mills and Long come running in and they are shoving anyone wearing tiger print.

Kyle Long got right into Burfict's face when he hit Cutler on the slide.

It is no wonder that Cutler is looking comfortable and smiling he has real protection and enforcement.
Badger75

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tillman. Future HoFer.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Cutler…one of his best games as a Bear came not only because of his 242 yards & 2 TDs…but because we saw him really buy in to what Trestman is asking him to do…he is spreading the ball around and altho Marshall still had the most targets and receptions it wasn’t a case of every time Jay was under a little pressure he chucked it up to Marshall…he went through his reads and set his feet before throwing the ball…I don’t think I remember him throwing his usual terrible ball off his back foot yesterday and altho there was an INT there wasn’t the potential for 4 or 5 INTs like we have seen in the past…most impressive thing about Cutler yesterday was his leadership…didn’t see any kind of frustration on the sideline…wasn’t jawing with anyone…and did a great job at the end of the game walking Mills out of a situation…impressive start and once he gains more confidence in the playcalling & the Oline to keep him upright the sky is the limit.

The Rookie Right Side…we paid Bushrod a lot of money…we got a veteran in Slauson…and Garza has been part of the furniture for years…those guys should be expected to have good games…but Long & Mills in their first NFL game against a proven ferocious and deep pass rush were outstanding…physically they were both impressive going up against some quality athletes and mentally to not commit a single penalty against that in your first game is pretty staggering…Long was his usual aggressive side and Mills showed his composure at the end of the game not to flatten Rey…if both guys continue to play like that we are set on that side for years to come.

Stephen Paea…Paea outplayed every Dlinemen on the field yesterday…when you consider coming into the game 2 of the top 3 DTs in football were on the field Paea looked far better than both penetrating the Oline on a regular basis…he was either making TFL of making the RB have to change direction into the arms of another Bears consistently…he was the only interior linemen to get a lot of pressure on the QB on either side and was unlucky not to get half a sack when McClellin took down Dalton…he seems to be healthy this year and looks very explosive…it was an impressive outing and if he can get some help from Peppers, Melton & Wootton who all disappointed in the last game we could see a good year out of him.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree Kyle Long played exceptionally well, but I think he's getting some credit where credit isn't due. Jordan Mills was our best OLineman out there yesterday IMO.
Jay Cutler and Marc Trestman should split the game ball in half.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
I do agree Kyle Long played exceptionally well, but I think he's getting some credit where credit isn't due. Jordan Mills was our best OLineman out there yesterday IMO.

Pro Football Focus agrees with you. Mills was our highest rated lineman by their grading.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

Pro Football Focus agrees with you. Mills was our highest rated lineman by their grading.

Really? Thats surprising IMO. Though Carlos Dunlap didn't get to the QB, it certainly looked like he had a number of pressures.

As for Geno being irrelevant. Go back and watch the tape. Long was beaten multiple times. And Geno was doubled almost exclusively. I think the credit goes to Trestman and your offensive coordinator. Cutler got the ball out fast all day so it was difficult for our guys to get to him. Cutler also did a good job of moving around in the pocket and even scrambling out of some pressures.

I'll be honest. I think we beat ourselves. We held you to less than 100 yards in the first half and had 2 offensive blunders that killed us. Green dropped a first down post over the middle that was right on his helmet (at about your 20), which allowed Peanut to make a play on the ball. We score there and its a different ball game. Also, we were marching on you guys pretty good and Sanu fumbled. We score on those two drives and your down for the count. With those two plays, the momentum shifted and you guys drove down and scored.

I was impressed with Paea though. Although Kyle Cook is likely the worst starting center in football, Paea was the reason we couldn't run the ball effectively.

Good game though fellas and good luck to you guys. You have a nice team going forward.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

Really? Thats surprising IMO. Though Carlos Dunlap didn't get to the QB, it certainly looked like he had a number of pressures.

As for Geno being irrelevant. Go back and watch the tape. Long was beaten multiple times. And Geno was doubled almost exclusively. I think the credit goes to Trestman and your offensive coordinator. Cutler got the ball out fast all day so it was difficult for our guys to get to him. Cutler also did a good job of moving around in the pocket and even scrambling out of some pressures.

I'll be honest. I think we beat ourselves. We held you to less than 100 yards in the first half and had 2 offensive blunders that killed us. Green dropped a first down post over the middle that was right on his helmet (at about your 20), which allowed Peanut to make a play on the ball. We score there and its a different ball game. Also, we were marching on you guys pretty good and Sanu fumbled. We score on those two drives and your down for the count. With those two plays, the momentum shifted and you guys drove down and scored.

I was impressed with Paea though. Although Kyle Cook is likely the worst starting center in football, Paea was the reason we couldn't run the ball effectively.

Good game though fellas and good luck to you guys. You have a nice team going forward.

You too. Hopefully our teams meet again in about five months. Cool

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Speaking of the rookie linemen, right tackle Jordan Mills was the Bears’ most efficient offensive linemen in the game (+3.4) according to ProFootballFocus.com, which charts just about everything that goes on in an NFL game. Left guard Matt Slauson was the only other Bears linemen with a positive grade by PFF (+2.3). He was followed by center Roberto Garza (-0.9), Long (-1.7) and left tackle Jermon Bushrod (-2.1).

One rookie offensive lineman stepped onto the field Sunday and played like a Top 5 pick from the first snap to the last. That rookie was not Kyle Long (-1.7), rather it was fifth-rounder Jordan Mills (+3.4) out of Louisiana Tech. Mills allowed just that one pressure while Long allowed two and Mills was solid all day on the ground. All in all, it was a great showing for both considering that Long was matched up with the best defensive tackle in the NFL, Geno Atkins, for 25 snaps. Starting two rookies on the same side of the line is a dangerous proposition, but so far Mills and Long have made Marc Trestman look like a genius for it.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/22458895-606/bears-report-10-observations-on-win-over-the-bengals.html
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Quote:
3. Speaking of the rookie linemen, right tackle Jordan Mills was the Bears’ most efficient offensive linemen in the game (+3.4) according to ProFootballFocus.com, which charts just about everything that goes on in an NFL game. Left guard Matt Slauson was the only other Bears linemen with a positive grade by PFF (+2.3). He was followed by center Roberto Garza (-0.9), Long (-1.7) and left tackle Jermon Bushrod (-2.1).

One rookie offensive lineman stepped onto the field Sunday and played like a Top 5 pick from the first snap to the last. That rookie was not Kyle Long (-1.7), rather it was fifth-rounder Jordan Mills (+3.4) out of Louisiana Tech. Mills allowed just that one pressure while Long allowed two and Mills was solid all day on the ground. All in all, it was a great showing for both considering that Long was matched up with the best defensive tackle in the NFL, Geno Atkins, for 25 snaps. Starting two rookies on the same side of the line is a dangerous proposition, but so far Mills and Long have made Marc Trestman look like a genius for it.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/22458895-606/bears-report-10-observations-on-win-over-the-bengals.html
Mills is really a great find. I hope he keeps it up.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@JohnMiddlekauff: Said it before but a source told me Al Davis felt Marc Trestman was the smartest offensive mind he'd ever met #raiders OC 01-03
ForteOz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is talking about Robbie?

He booted a 58 yard no-doubter to close the half, and we end up winning by 3. Sure, that's not the whole story, but with those bonus points that final drive looks a lot different when all we have to do is kill the clock.

I think we are getting a little too used to seeing Robbie do his thing. Consistency gets you overlooked.

I thought it was a great call to send him out there, too. He misses and it gives the Bengals a chance for a couple of quick plays to kick a field goal of their own, and get the ball back in the second half. But we have one of (if not the) best kickers in the league, so why not show him off.

That decision, and the go-for-it on 4th and one made me like Trestman even more than I already did. The guy has some stones, I love it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: