Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trying to Stay Positive (front 7)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Trying to Stay Positive (front 7) Reply with quote

There's a lot of talk going on about the right side of the O-line, Weeden, and the CB's not named Haden. Considering we just lost a game that seemed to be within reach it's going to happen, people will dwell on the negatives.

There was one positive from today's game, and it was our front 7. Sheard and Kruger both did a good job against the run and rushing the passer. Taylor and Bryant both did a great job against the run, and while Winn was on the field he looked very good. Didn't see Winn out of position at all today which was a calling card of his last season. DJax also looked good, seemed like he was tracking down guys a lot.

The fact that we were missing Rubin, who will be a very important piece in the front 7, and Mingo, who will bring a ton of athleticism to our pass rush, how excited should we be about this part of the team?

I really believe if our offense was able to maintain some longer drives and actually get some momentum or get the crowd hyped up, I think our front 7 would have looked even more dominant.

Will this be the best front 7 we have had since the return?
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant Harassed Tannehill alot of the game, I was very impressed with him, especially after his sack when he almost knocked the ref out with a right cross
bruceb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt it will be.

But without any O, even with its depth, it will get worn down and we will lose just like we have in recent years.
candyman93

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw great athletes that did a good job pursuing the ball. Craig Robertson definetly gives us speed next to DQ. Maybe we don't need another ILB? Too bad they have zero help from the secondary.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another positive, it looks as if the Steelers have lost Maurkice Pouncey, Larry Foote, and Larod, Stephens- Howling for the season
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
I saw great athletes that did a good job pursuing the ball. Craig Robertson definetly gives us speed next to DQ. Maybe we don't need another ILB? Too bad they have zero help from the secondary.
I thought Gipson looked fine. Just Owens and Skrine that were bad.
Entropy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
I thought Gipson looked fine. Just Owens and Skrine that were bad.

They weren't great, but I don't think they were bad either.

Skrine had the PI from the 5 yard line, but it gave us another chance to avoid a TD since that fade was going to score, iirc.

And we gave up only the one TD pass.

So that part was pretty good.

But, the coverage on third down was disappointing. Owens gave up some longer passes, and Skrine gave up some shorter ones.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually didn't think Skrine did all that bad. He's at home in the slot. We definitely need a #2 though.

As for Gipson. All of his highlights seem to be right place, right time kind of flukes. I've yet to see him really be the ball hawk we need next to Ward's brutal smashes. He'll have the remainder of the season to show me otherwise, though.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
Ether

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
I actually didn't think Skrine did all that bad. He's at home in the slot. We definitely need a #2 though.

As for Gipson. All of his highlights seem to be right place, right time kind of flukes. I've yet to see him really be the ball hawk we need next to Ward's brutal smashes. He'll have the remainder of the season to show me otherwise, though.

Not a lot of safety's like that in the NFL. I'll take a guy who tackles well and doesn't get beat deep for now.
Kiwibrown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will win a few games thig year, could push for 7.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:

They played like guys who were playing too far up the depth chart.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see David DeCastro totally chop Pounceys knee? I live in the Burgh and everyone is grumbling at work about it. He is my new favorite stiller.

DeCastro, teamate headhunter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWUVICJ-BGk

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front 7 is the strength of the team as evidenced by FA and draft(we only got two players-Mingo/McFadden). I believe this group will continue to get better. The D backfield is the problem as we are thin and short 2 NFL starting caliber players(FS, CB). Good news is our front 7 is comparable to the best teams and looks like they dominate the line of scrimmage.
candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our free agents have looked really good. I think next offseason we take an aggressive approach fixing the offense like we did the front 7. Wouldn't shock me if we signed a #2 CB to big $$$$ and spent every draft pick on offense. If our front 7 plays like it did yesterday and Haden plays like he did, I will feel really good about where the team is heading. TJ and Gipson didn't really give up any big plays. However that was the result of being dinked and dunked to death. If we get another CB that can play press coverage we're going to have a great defense for years to come.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Entropy wrote:

They played like guys who were playing too far up the depth chart.

Yes, it's pretty safe to say that if they can't improve on their play--we'll be looking pretty hard for better guys to take their spots.

Maybe McFadden takes one of their spots by the end of the season.

But I think barring a pro-bowl type year from both Owens and Skrine, we'll be getting at least one CB in the first 3 rounds of the draft next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: