Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What happened to Right side of O line?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: What happened to Right side of O line? Reply with quote

The RG and RT had one of the worst games ever for Browns with 5-6 penalties, 3-4 sacks given up, many pressures, a couple blocked Weeden passes, and lack of professionalism. I thought Schwartz had advanced with Bentley school in AZ but he was beat like a drum and had a terrible game. Cousins......enough said. Browns must have a right side or it will be a very long year.

Trent was 2 for 6 catching and was no help on blocking as Miami took him out of the game in 2nd half. Browns must be able to run the rock as there is no prayer if pressure on Weeden like today.

What happened!
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. GM happened.... By not upgrading in the offseason a position that everyone knew was the weakest spot on this offensive line.

2. Cousins happened... And the browns coaching staff refused to make adjustments by getting him out the game.

3. Wake happened... And the browns coach's staff refused to make adjustments by getting Schwartz the help he needed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to Right side of O line? Reply with quote

bigdogsandiego wrote:
The RG and RT had one of the worst games ever for Browns with 5-6 penalties, 3-4 sacks given up, many pressures, a couple blocked Weeden passes, and lack of professionalism. I thought Schwartz had advanced with Bentley school in AZ but he was beat like a drum and had a terrible game. Cousins......enough said. Browns must have a right side or it will be a very long year.

Trent was 2 for 6 catching and was no help on blocking as Miami took him out of the game in 2nd half. Browns must be able to run the rock as there is no prayer if pressure on Weeden like today.

What happened!

The right side of the OL sucked. Schwartz was awful, Cousins was Cousins.
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwartz had an up and down rookie season last year. He's a guy with some potential to develop, but he still leaves much to be desired in terms of consistency.

Cousins is ... Cousins. They should cut him and try out whatever bodies they have out there from here on out. Should have a long time ago actually. Whoever they pluck off the waiver wire couldn't be worse. He's been bad every single game that he's played in the NFL. Without exception. It's like one of those situations where you think the head coach is trying to be funny by putting him out there every Sunday. The irony is lost on me.

They ignored some obvious needs in the off-season. You can develop an average player with serviceable potential into an asset on the team. But, you can't polish a turd. I like the direction we've gone on defense, but this team won't win games until they have a serviceable quarterback and some line help. I feel bad for the defense, always being out on the field, year in and year out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The performance Cousins had is not acceptable. You can't have 4 penalties, one preventing a crucial first down and the other nullifying a touchdown pass, and give up the sacks and hits he did and still have a job. There's no excuse for that performance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in another post, the G situation is a FO fail - it was apparent to anyone who watches football that the G position needed help. Lauvao as a starter is bad enough, but Cousins there was ..well ....you saw it. They could've signed Vasquez from SD and elected not to, couldve drafted someone in the 4th and elected not to, and this is what we get.

Shwartz got schooled today, no two ways about it - but at least it was by an All Pro. He'll learn from it, that's been his M.O. - Cousins will continue to miracously collect an NFL paycheck for being the worst lineman in the NFL.

Look at the numbers closely - Weeden got battered today, and the rt side of the line was the reason.
buno67

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is it a GM fail that they didnt upgrade the OG?

Pink and Lauvo were both set to compete for the RG spot, well the Browns luck was both got hurt.

Browns would have to cut someone I believe to just sign a player until one of them got healthy.

They were hoping that Cousins could be an ok guard until then but it didnt play out. I def see something happening this week

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
how is it a GM fail that they didnt upgrade the OG?

Pink and Lauvo were both set to compete for the RG spot, well the Browns luck was both got hurt.

Browns would have to cut someone I believe to just sign a player until one of them got healthy.

They were hoping that Cousins could be an ok guard until then but it didnt play out. I def see something happening this week

Am the previous GM, yes? The glaring weakness at both OG positions has been an ongoing topic in this forum for too long.
StewieRules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said FO, not GM per say - though neither Lombardi or Banner are personnel guys - but it is one of their primary jobs to find players who can play. Lauvao and Pinkston are average starters at best in their own right (one can't run block, the other is lost is pass protection) and clearly an upgrade was needed. They did nothing - and that's a fail.

G, CB and WR (Gordon being the only field -stretcher) were pretty clear needs going into the spring - what's changed??
DawgX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StewieRules wrote:
I said FO, not GM per say - though neither Lombardi or Banner are personnel guys - but it is one of their primary jobs to find players who can play. Lauvao and Pinkston are average starters at best in their own right (one can't run block, the other is lost is pass protection) and clearly an upgrade was needed. They did nothing - and that's a fail.

G, CB and WR (Gordon being the only field -stretcher) were pretty clear needs going into the spring - what's changed??

I'm not a fan of Lauvao or Pinkston, but if they were average guards, then that should be good enough. Cleveland has enough talent along the offensive line where a great right guard wouldn't be needed.

Also, it'd be awfully hard to address every need in one offseason. Considering all of the needs Cleveland had going into this past offseason, I'd say they did a fairly good job at addressing them.

Cousins shouldn't even be on the roster. I don't see how Gilkey could be any worse than him, so I hope he ends up replacing Cousins next week.

Smack on the sig.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameron Wake is one of the Elite Pass Rushers in the NFL, I have him right behind Von and Aldon Smith
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Cousins... enough said. The man singlehandedly took 6 points off the board and stalled plenty of drives. He was the miami defensive player of the game. And Busted Skrine Door was their offensive player of the game.

Seriously both players should be kicked off the team.

that is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
Ether

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StewieRules wrote:

Yeah Mingo ended up being a strange pick because Sheard is a stud and Kruger and Groves were both signed in the offseason. Our FO certainly put a lot of faith into the roster they acquired for whatever reason.

And I know people hate him outside the nickel, but I still hate the move to cut Patterson. I hate the move to cut Wade too, he is more ready than McFadden right now and we are hurting back there.
cattleman78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Jimmy Brown would agree with most people on here that guards are not that important. I'd bet he would tell everyone Gene Hickerson and John Wooten were very important. I don't think we need great guards but we do need good guards not average.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
cattleman78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
StewieRules wrote:

Yeah Mingo ended up being a strange pick because Sheard is a stud and Kruger and Groves were both signed in the offseason. Our FO certainly put a lot of faith into the roster they acquired for whatever reason.

And I know people hate him outside the nickel, but I still hate the move to cut Patterson. I hate the move to cut Wade too, he is more ready than McFadden right now and we are hurting back there.

Most on here did not want to draft Mingo before the draft. Viewed as a boom or bust prospect. In college he looked like Tarzan but played like Jane. I still consider him a boom or bust type. I hope he is boom. I'm starting to think we should have traded down with St. Louis and grabbed a corner and a guard.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: