Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which MLB should start week 2?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which MLB should start week 2?
Bostic
72%
 72%  [ 21 ]
Williams
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 29

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeniceBearsFan wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:
bostic...and here's why

he lays people out. he's been a big time hitter since his days at florida, and we all saw the preseason game against san diego. big hits=big momentum and can turn into fumbles and balls up in the air so I feel like you have a higher probability of turnovers with bostic in

He makes big hits - he also takes false steps and looked lost in coverage. He obviously made enough mistakes in preseason and TC that the coaches didn't trust him over the guy who hadn't played any snaps. I don't think one week is going to change that - especially when Williams didn't do anything to lose the job.

Williams graded out as a -0.5 of PFF.

I feel like Williams only started because he was a veteran and got the benefit of the doubt, and although didn't play horribly he certainly wasn't impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if bostic got the nod next week or before the end of this month
How does this mythology get started? Williams is playing for ONE reason and ONE reason only - the coaches believe he gives the team the best chance of winning. NOT because they are giving a veteran a break, NOT because they brought him in to play and NOT because they have not seen what Bostic can do. They have watched him for months in practice. As far as the "big hitter" argument goes, that is the quickest way to knock himself out of the lineup. These players have to learn how to protect themselves NOT to see how hard they can hit someone. The last thing I want to see is Bostic waylay someone only to be carried off the field.
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Tucker-happy-with-Williams-performance-in-opener/db3509e2-04d8-4211-894e-98f0ded792cd

I think Williams will start again from reading this. Definitely deserves it. Having this kind of depth is a good problem to have.
CBears019

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:
bostic...and here's why

he lays people out. he's been a big time hitter since his days at florida, and we all saw the preseason game against san diego. big hits=big momentum and can turn into fumbles and balls up in the air so I feel like you have a higher probability of turnovers with bostic in

He makes big hits - he also takes false steps and looked lost in coverage. He obviously made enough mistakes in preseason and TC that the coaches didn't trust him over the guy who hadn't played any snaps. I don't think one week is going to change that - especially when Williams didn't do anything to lose the job.

I feel like Williams only started because he was a veteran and got the benefit of the doubt, and although didn't play horribly he certainly wasn't impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if bostic got the nod next week or before the end of this month
How does this mythology get started? Williams is playing for ONE reason and ONE reason only - the coaches believe he gives the team the best chance of winning. NOT because they are giving a veteran a break, NOT because they brought him in to play and NOT because they have not seen what Bostic can do. They have watched him for months in practice. As far as the "big hitter" argument goes, that is the quickest way to knock himself out of the lineup. These players have to learn how to protect themselves NOT to see how hard they can hit someone. The last thing I want to see is Bostic waylay someone only to be carried off the field.

I've got to agree with this given how this new regime has operated. No matter what your name is, how long you've been playing, your draft position, etc. you have to earn your spot. Carimi wasn't cutting it out, so they sent him away only 2 years after being a first round pick. JWebb could be considered a veteran, but they sent him packing and plugged in a 5th-round rookie who's kicking butt right now. Not to mention the whole Urlacher situation.

Williams isn't starting because he's a vet, he's starting because the coaches believe he's the better option at this point.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
ak06max

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:
bostic...and here's why

I've got to agree with this given how this new regime has operated. No matter what your name is, how long you've been playing, your draft position, etc. you have to earn your spot. Carimi wasn't cutting it out, so they sent him away only 2 years after being a first round pick. JWebb could be considered a veteran, but they sent him packing and plugged in a 5th-round rookie who's kicking butt right now. Not to mention the whole Urlacher situation.

Williams isn't starting because he's a vet, he's starting because the coaches believe he's the better option at this point.

Exactly. Best player starts. I still want to see Williams we have to give him another game still probably nursing the calf.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:
bostic...and here's why

Exactly. Best player starts. I still want to see Williams we have to give him another game still probably nursing the calf.

This reminds me of last year (I think it was last year) when Urlacher missed all of preseason, just like DJ did this year. Most of us were saying at the start of the regular season, when he did start playing, "Let's give Brian a break, he missed all of preseason, so these first few games are like his preseason." If we can apply that for BU, why not Williams?

I'm not really advocating one way or another, I'd love to get the Bostic era started, but I also trust the coaching staff to make the right decision. If they feel DJ is best at this time, then that's what I'm going to believe then.

Note: I am NOT comparing DJ Williams to Brian Urlacher, just their situations regarding injuries in preseason.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lach was the franchise, and the fact is, who were u going to replace him with? Costanzo? Move nick roach over and bring in geno hayes? Thats a big difference between those options and bringing in the 2nd round rookie who showed immense promise in the preseason. And again I say if what we r seeing w/ Williams is just rust, then what has he done to earn the right to start over bostic. It doesn't pass the smell test.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
blkwdw13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Lach was the franchise, and the fact is, who were u going to replace him with? Costanzo? Move nick roach over and bring in geno hayes? Thats a big difference between those options and bringing in the 2nd round rookie who showed immense promise in the preseason. And again I say if what we r seeing w/ Williams is just rust, then what has he done to earn the right to start over bostic. It doesn't pass the smell test.

This is what I was going to say.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: