Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week One: 5 Ups....Endless Downs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandfield1971

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haley gone by bye week and Tomlin at the end of the year if he dosent step up his decision making. I think sum of our younger guys should be playing more
byerly724

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure how people are saying this is an UP
Punting NO AVG I20 LG
Z. Mesko 7 35.9 1 51

Also people calling for tomlin's head by end of season should probably focus some on pittsburgh steelers gm kevin colbert too. Lack of depth and bad cap room has led to this as much as coaching,

Now on a positive, i still like our chances of taking the division this year. If anytime to start on a negative, this year might be one of the best because i feel our division winner is going to be a 9-7 team this year
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up:

Tom Brady Tribute
GridironWarrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Up:

That's the 2nd Super Human sack Troy has had against the Titans LOL. Reminds me of the Kerry Collins.
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:

Try making coherent complaints dude....

Mike Adams was literally the only lineman that played half decently that game... And you're complaining about him? Our bookends were the only linemen who had good games...

Jarvis Jones had some energy plays but outside of his level of energy he didn't outplay Worilds. Didn't do so in the pre-season either. He had splash plays coming through untouched. Huge difference between making his own plays and coming untouched.

Maybe we watched a different game, but I saw Adams getting pushed around quite a bit! Having said that, I think he'd suit our offensive line much better at Right Tackle, I think we need a truly dominant, more talented Offensive Tackle to protect Ben's blind side.

Jarvis didn't outplay Worilds? Again, what game were you watching? Energy plays or not, Worilds didn't make a single play worth mentioning. Oh and the fact that Jarvis is getting into the backfield untouched IS NOT a bad thing!

Yes clearly we watched different games... Adams was not pushed back into the field at all... You clearly weren't watching the game as the Titans gameplan was to blitz the A-Gap all game and it worked... Adams had one bad play that was more the fault of Foster as Foster passed his rusher off to Adams when he shouldn't have and the defender split the two for a sack. There was no outside rush that reached Ben today.

Jarvis Jones didn't outplay Worilds. They both were very mediocre. Jones had a tackle for loss coming through unblocked but had trouble fighting off blocks. Worilds had two loose pressures that moved Locker but wouldn't have moved a decent QB. The key difference in their play was that Jones was willing to play to the whistle on all his snaps and displayed more energy so when the run went the opposite direction he trailed it the same way Harrison used to where as Worilds ran laterally down the line if that.

Now I agree with Bobikus that I think this is Jones' floor versus Worilds' ceiling but purporting there was a huge gap in their play is to look at some isolated plays and assume they were indicative of 50+ snaps of defense.

#FireTomlin #FireHaley #FireLeBeau #FireColbert
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byerly724 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:

No. It would have bee illegal because Pouncey was already engaged with the Titans defender.

Again not all engaged defenders are the same. Decastro lines up next to pouncey and is allowed to chop block a defender whether or not he is engaged by pouncey. the ravens did this to hampton on a regular basis to run up the middle. As long as the running play is not far enough away from the incident it is legal.

Quote:
CHOP BLOCK ON RUN (BY A LINEMAN)
(6) On a running play, A1, an offensive lineman, ch
ops a defensive player after the defensive player has
been engaged by A2 (high or low), and the initial
alignment of A2 is more than one position away from
A1. This rule applies only when the block occurs at
a time when the flow of the play is clearly away
from A1.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

It wasn't legal... You cannot clip AT OR BELOW THE KNEES when a defender is engaged...

jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
byerly724 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:

No. It would have bee illegal because Pouncey was already engaged with the Titans defender.

Again not all engaged defenders are the same. Decastro lines up next to pouncey and is allowed to chop block a defender whether or not he is engaged by pouncey. the ravens did this to hampton on a regular basis to run up the middle. As long as the running play is not far enough away from the incident it is legal.

Quote:
from A1.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

It wasn't legal... You cannot clip AT OR BELOW THE KNEES when a defender is engaged...

Unless you are within 3 yards of the LOS And the play is not going away from the block.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
chrisororke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure what to say.

I tried to politely tell you I was very bearish on the Steelers and I was blasted for overreacting to the Steelers. I do not overreact. I am meticulous and analytical in every decision I make. When I said in April the Pirates would be better than the Steelers was that overreacting? It was an absolutely asinine comment at the time in that in 20 years the Pirates haven't been good.

Well, look at me now

Since the Steelers should've won this game as it is the easiest on the schedule, I will be forced to reduce my prediction to 5-11. Mark it down 43, TOP 10 PICK GUARANTEED. You wanna save that or just tote around "The Steelers won't draft a WR until day three". You know day three is the fourth round and they drafted Wheaton rd 3 and had serious debate to take Shamarko in that spot.

I would say the lone positive is Jarvis Jones. Maybe Troy as well.

I'lll leave you with one last soundbite. Not only will the Browns worst-case scenario go 1-1 with us, they'll finish ahead of us in the division. Wink
chrisororke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandfield1971 wrote:
Haley gone by bye week and Tomlin at the end of the year if he dosent step up his decision making. I think sum of our younger guys should be playing more

This is what an overreacting Steelers fan looks like. My God
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I object to anyone who sits there and gloats after a game like that. If you enjoy thinking you're right, and vanish when wrong on something only to return to act happy after a week 1 loss it doesn't say much about you.

It's week 1, so I wouldn't get too high on your predictions just yet.

Quote:

This is what an overreacting Steelers fan looks like. My God

As opposed to the team being 5-11?

How exactly were you right on WR not being a need? Sure didn't look like that on the field today.
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
byerly724 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:

Quote:
from A1.

Unless you are within 3 yards of the LOS And the play is not going away from the block.

I don't believe I'm wrong but acknowledge that I may be. Even if I am wrong and the play had gone accordingly it was a stupid and ridiculous play by DeCastro.

turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Week One: 5 Ups....Endless Downs Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Ups

1. Ravens lost
2. Bengals lost
3. Browns are about to lose.
4. Ben looked solid when given time.
5. Defense had it struggles but should still be real good when/if offense can contribute.

Downs
Everything else.

Coaching was laughable.
Still lacking a pass rush and no splash plays.
Injuries
Officiating...sucked for both teams.

Everything else. Thats all I can say.
This! Still in first place baby! Cool

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
UP:

1. Troy Polamalu - He is healthy and made some nice plays.
2. Ryan Clark - He battled the whole game despite getting banged up.
3. AFC North went 0 for Week 1.
4. Contained Chris Johnson - They held him to under three yards a carry.
5. Zoltan Mesko - He wasn't bad.

DOWN:

1. Turnovers - Stunning how the game turned on Redman's fumble. The Titans gained a ton of momentum there and the Steelers offense never recovered. Roethlisberger's interception led to the Titans only TD of the game.
2. Injuries - I know DD feels bad but that was just an inexcusable play by him. I'm not sure what he was doing or thinking but now the Steelers are without their Pro-Bowl center for the rest of the year thanks to a careless play. Foote is done too. Allen sprained his ankle and LSH hurt his knee. The injuries just added salt to the wound.
3. Running game - It would be nice if they had one. No run blocking and Redman was a joke back there. It was a disaster right from the beginning.
4. No big plays on defense - Once again they were unable to provide a turnover for the offense. On the crucial fourth down play during the Titans TD drive both Foote and Timmons weren't able to tackle the runner behind the LOS.
5. Down list deja vu - Basically I could have just got an old thread last year and put it up because it's the same stuff over and over again.

We are going to have a long season if the running game continues to fail. It's high time we listen to big ben and give him a big target..Eli got his, Rivers got his....Peyton got two even brady got his (although both gone) .....why not Ben? Im don't with all the excuses made for Todd Haley..he is done. We gotta fix this line..quick.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Up:

Wait...

I thought the defense had no splash plays... Confused

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't believe I'm wrong but acknowledge that I may be. Even if I am wrong and the play had gone accordingly it was a stupid and ridiculous play by DeCastro.

That bs block is legal (if it is not playside I believe). It did look to be playside so in this case you might be correct, but in general that is a legal type of block. Silly, but so was Yanda's block on Casey Hampton 2 years ago. That is why all d-linemen hate the zbs.

Here is a "legal" chop block on casey hampton...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6E3YUdrf3c

Thanks Lyasr 529

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: