You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quessenberry to IR
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAS22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Quessenberry to IR Reply with quote

Quote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 10m
Texans promising G David Quessenberry suffered a broken foot in practice and is expected to be placed on IR. He was drafted N the 6th round.

Huge loss, hate to see this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*@#$

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^
treece300e

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
*@#$

QFT
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly we might use the designated IR return on him.....that speaks volumes for our OL depth, or the lack there of.

ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. That explains why we kept an extra lineman.

This hurts. We're entering the season paper thin at o-line.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit, I hate that this happens. Both our OL draft picks are on the IR, and Quessenberry is an even bigger loss because he played pretty good in preseason and he is versatile.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans abuse of the IR system finally bites us. It is inexcusable to now be so thin on the offensive line when we have a 3rd round pick slated to compete for a starting RT gig stashed on the IR because of some minor post-op swelling that prevented him from getting enough reps. Sure the guy missed a bunch of camp and is way behind, but it sure seems preferable to be having to coach up a talented guy like Williams in practice than the gap in talent between Williams and UDFA roster fodder now a snap away from actual playing time at T or G. I can at least understand IR resorting Travardo somewhat (but still don't understand him over Montgomery) since Jefferson would have never gone unclaimed and Tuggle might not have made it through, but were we really worried that Cody White or Andrew Gardner would get claimed (and if they were are Nate Menkin or Alex Kupper really much worse)? All of them passed through waivers to the practice squad and nobody tried to sign them to their active rosters and it's not like they did anything noteworthy for us in camp or preseason. Rick really fumbled this one as the upside of B. Williams contributing Oct-Jan should have been worth passing White or Gardner thru waivers to the PS.

I guess the ONLY bright side is that Tuggle will now keep his spot a while longer since we won't have to cut him when Antonio comes off suspension. It did cost Mike Mohamed his PS spot as we had to go resign Menkin to the PS (so at least the Maehl trade still lives on a bit - Maehl actually made the Eagles 53 BTW).

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Supposedly we might use the designated IR return on him.....that speaks volumes for our OL depth, or the lack there of.

Um, no.

1) We would have had to have declared that up front (and didn't).
2) It would only compound the mistake of using IR on the Williams, non brothers. A team with Super Bowl aspirations should NOT use our one and only IR exemption on a backup, better yet a 6th round rookie at a low rent position. If AJ tears a hammy this week, we would HAVE to go sign an NFL level replacement to get thru the next few months (Andy Cruse ain't getting us there), but we sure would want AJ back for the stretch drive and the playoffs. I'm not the biggest Mario Williams fan, but I've got to think that having him going after Flacco wouldn't have hurt our chances of taking out the Ravens in 2011 since he was pretty much entirely healed by late December. IMO the Texans shouldn't think of burning the IR exemption on anyone not listed amongst the "10 essentials" on another thread, and we probably ought to wait until week 6 before using it on any other starter. If Quess is desperately needed for a playoff push, we've got bigger problems.

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Um, no.

1) We would have had to have declared that up front (and didn't).
2) It would only compound the mistake of using IR on the Williams, non brothers. A team with Super Bowl aspirations should NOT use our one and only IR exemption on a backup, better yet a 6th round rookie at a low rent position. If AJ tears a hammy this week, we would HAVE to go sign an NFL level replacement to get thru the next few months (Andy Cruse ain't getting us there), but we sure would want AJ back for the stretch drive and the playoffs. I'm not the biggest Mario Williams fan, but I've got to think that having him going after Flacco wouldn't have hurt our chances of taking out the Ravens in 2011 since he was pretty much entirely healed by late December. IMO the Texans shouldn't think of burning the IR exemption on anyone not listed amongst the "10 essentials" on another thread, and we probably ought to wait until week 6 before using it on any other starter. If Quess is desperately needed for a playoff push, we've got bigger problems.

I think I saw something that said, since he's on the 53 for the week we can't put him on the IR til next week so technically we have till next week to apply the designation.

jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right about now, I would be looking to swipe a player off of somebody's practice squad (Vinston Painter in DEN or Reid Fragel in CIN).

I might even consider seeing if Seattle would take a 5th ot 6th for G/T Alvin Bailey (who was an UDFA, but looks to have the makeup to start in the NFL or at least backup at 3 positions).
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind trading for an established lineman.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former #2 overall, Jason Smith, is sitting out there and available for the 5th year vet minimum. They managed to turn Ryan Harris into servicable depth and he doesn't have near the athletic base. Beggars can't be choosers and I think Smith is worth the flyer at this point.

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Former #2 overall, Jason Smith, is sitting out there and available for the 5th year vet minimum. They managed to turn Ryan Harris into servicable depth and he doesn't have near the athletic base. Beggars can't be choosers and I think Smith is worth the flyer at this point.

I believe you mentioned In the cut thread, that former Texan and OG Caldwell was cut. If so, he's probably #1 on our speed dial.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

I believe you mentioned In the cut thread, that former Texan and OG Caldwell was cut. If so, he's probably #1 on our speed dial.

He's no world beater, but gotta be better than Cody White or Alex Kupper at G. Depends on if the Texans are looking for a pure G or someone with flexibility on the line like Quess who was more T than G, but could be trained at both. Quess was an LT in college and his strength was pass protection over run blocking (which is why I liked him as Wade Smith's backup much better than Ben Jones who is an abysmal pass protector for a G). Ultimately, we are very unlikely to find a future starting RT sitting around unemployed right now, but we HAVE to find a better blindside pass protection backup for Wade Smith than Jones or White. Personally I think it's worth rolling the dice on someone like Jason Smith who's strength is in pass protection yet keeps getting miscast as an RT. Have him operate as back LG, but given some development time, he may also present an option to backup D. Brown at LT as Newton is PURELY an RT with abysmal pass protection skill and Harris is only slightly less awful in protection. If bringing Smith in just means risking White on the PS or Kupper off the PS, I think it's worth it. The guy has never been given a shot in a ZBS which is the proper match for his athleticism. He's just NOT the nasty streak mauler the Rams and Jets covet.

Marco79

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brennan Williams being sent to the IR doesn't seem like the usual staff of an unproven rookie. He just had microfracture surgery so the injury was serious.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: