Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ponder 2013: Is He Is or Is He Ain't Our QB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Ponder 2013: Is He Is or Is He Ain't Our QB? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5LFD9VDq88

Is you is or is you ain't my baby
Way you're acting lately makes me doubt
Youse is still my baby, baby
Seems my flame in your heart's done gone out

Louis Jordan, 1944

a discussion of lively points from lively fellows. will 2013 be the last year we see Ponder under center as the Vikings' QB, or is this his breakout year? will Ponder prove to be an integral piece to a playoff run in 2013, or will the Vikings be on the outside looking in, contemplating the future of the QB position?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+ title and title track, well done.

I've always been partial to the Dinah Washington version, which got a nice remix from Rae & Christian a few years back.
milllllano

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as a synopsis of the previous 100 pages of discussion on ponder.

Quote:
meh?

I think that isn't he conclusion we had agreed to so far.
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my post snuck into a locked thread the second the thread got locked I will toss it in here. It's an Ode to Ponder for week #1.

*beat box*

My name is Christian Ponder,
I'm a Quarter-BACK!
When I rock the ball,
It's an air At-TACK!

You seen me before,
You ain't seen me NOW!
I'll hit my Jennings,
It'll go Ka-POW!!

My style is cool,
I do it like THIS!
Spank me a Lion,
No kitten gonna dis.

I said it, I mean it,
Heart and soul,
Nettin up the Lions,
Like pest control.

Get off my back,
You know who I AM?
*drops the mike*
Let's get out of here Sam.

Ponder knows what is on him. So much will come to light in the next 24hrs as to what our offense actually is. I think we all know that more imagination is needed. We saw nothing in preseason.
I have thought that Ponder has the tools, and now the offense has the tools. Regardless of what the OC brings now it is on Ponder - for I have to believe that the only reason to limit a playbook is if the QB can't handle it and there is absolutely no reason for that at this stage in Ponders development, and with the tools and O-line now afforded him.

It is all on him outside of lack of execution by other players.

I back Ponder 100%. I am excited for tomorrow! WEEK #1

I love the Vikings, win or lose.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
A+ title and title track, well done.

he had parental assistance.

Wink

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder: “Look, my play last year was up and down. Started off well, middle of the season didn’t play so well and then played well at the end of the season to help us finish 4-0. I made a lot of mistakes, and when there’s a quarterback who people think is prone to a lot of mistakes, there are going to be a lot of questions about him."

“Hopefully, those questions will be answered this year because I think we have good chance to be a great team. Myself, with the pieces around me, this year, I expect progression. I plan on playing like I did in the [win over the Packers] for 16 games in the regular season and more after that.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/222830761.html

Webmaster wrote:
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, finally! I found the Ponder thread!

I was looking for it last week and accidentally clicked on a thread - several times - that was actually a discussion of collegiate football QBs.

Now that I finally found the Ponder thread, I've forgotten what I was gonna say (write).

Oh, wait, ...yeah... I remember;

I predict this thread about Ponder for the 2013 season will have great swings in participant's faith in Ponder. There will be great over-reaction to INTs, TDs, 30 yd strikes downfield, and 4 yd passes on 3rd and 6. Sort of the same as last year.

But this year will yield a more credible set of stats to judge Ponder's future with the Vikings. He has the entire OL back intact from last year (cohesiveness and chemistry are important for OLs). AP is coming off arguably his greatest year. And he has a better set of WRs (Jennings, Patterson and Webb replacing Harvin, Aromashadu and Jenkins, the latter two of whom will be sofa-surfing this season). And TE Carlson will be healthier than last year.

To misquote a misquote of a famous movie line by BD in "ABE" (1950): "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy season."
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:

I was looking for it last week and accidentally clicked on a thread - several times - that was actually a discussion of collegiate football QBs.

a discussion of Ponder justifiably brings about a discussion of whether he should be replaced. that discussion justifiably brings about a look at possible up and comers in college.

any 100 page long thread is inevitably going to have related subjects that branch off within it.

Webmaster wrote:
tdub

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, there is two focus areas for Ponder if he will be good, and thus the Vikes will remain in the playoff hunt.

Ponder simply put needs to be accurate and not turn over the ball. If Ponder can do his best Alex Smith impression, complete roughly 65% of his passes and keep the INTs under 2% of his total pass attempts, with our reliance on Peterson and the run game this should be enough for 9-10 wins.

Ponder also needs to play better outdoors. There was a 16 point QB rating swing from domed games to outdoor games.

Million dollar question. Does he do all this? Ultimately, I lean towards no. I think he settles in at 62-63% and roughly about 2.5% INTs, which would be roughly his output last year. With a hard schedule, I think that equals 7-9, 8-8. At least this would mean moving on from Ponder in hopes of snagging a QB next draft.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Purplexing wrote:

a discussion of Ponder justifiably brings about a discussion of whether he should be replaced. that discussion justifiably brings about a look at possible up and comers in college.

any 100 page long thread is inevitably going to have related subjects that branch off within it.

Please remember this ^ the next time you see a thread go astray .... Wink

PS I forgot to add a Wink to my first post in this thread. Mea culpa.
Krauser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdub wrote:
Simply put, there is two focus areas for Ponder if he will be good, and thus the Vikes will remain in the playoff hunt.

Ponder simply put needs to be accurate and not turn over the ball. If Ponder can do his best Alex Smith impression, complete roughly 65% of his passes and keep the INTs under 2% of his total pass attempts, with our reliance on Peterson and the run game this should be enough for 9-10 wins.

Ponder also needs to play better outdoors. There was a 16 point QB rating swing from domed games to outdoor games.

Million dollar question. Does he do all this? Ultimately, I lean towards no. I think he settles in at 62-63% and roughly about 2.5% INTs, which would be roughly his output last year. With a hard schedule, I think that equals 7-9, 8-8. At least this would mean moving on from Ponder in hopes of snagging a QB next draft.

Ponder was accurate last year in terms of his completion percentage (62.1%, 13th in the league). The QBs at the 62-63% range you think isn't good enough included Roethlisberger, Brees and Brady. Only 5 QBs had >65%: Ryan, PManning, RG3, Rodgers and Romo.

Ponder's INT percentage last year was 2.5%, tied with Cam Newton and Russell Wilson for 13th in the league. There were only 6 starting QBs with INT percentages less than 2 last year: RG3, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Flacco and PManning.

So the only starting QBs last year who were as good as what you want to see from Ponder this year were Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and RG3. That's a pretty high bar to clear, you've got some All Pro QBs who aren't good enough for the Vikings.

The problem with Ponder's 2012 numbers is that he didn't attempt or complete enough passes downfield, so his YPA was terrible and he didn't throw for enough TDs. Some of that was due to the situation and limitations of his receivers, but a lot of it was down to Ponder.

He needs to maintain a completion percentage in the low 60's while throwing for ~7 yards per attempt, with more TDs and roughly the same number of INTs as last year. That would be a season much like Joe Flacco and Andy Dalton had last year, and they were 12th/13th in the league in passer rating. That would be enough to keep his job, I bet.

Even if he plays that well, the team might only win 7-8 games this season. They have a tough schedule, only 7 true home games and an early bye, Peterson and Walsh may have trouble repeating last year's successes, and the back 7 of the defense is a big question mark so far. If Ponder is a relative bright spot in an 8-8 season, I think he's back at starter in 2014.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdub wrote:

Assuming 500 pass attempts by Ponder in the 2013 season, which is a round number that makes the math easy to follow;

500 x (62.5%-65%)= 12.5 fewer pass completions over the 2013 season.

500 x (2.5%-2%) = 2.5 more INTs over the 2013 season.

IMO, those ^ differences seem too insignificant to result in 2-3 fewer wins for the Vikings in 2013. Of course, 2 or 3 more INTs could be decisive, as could 12 or 13 fewer 3rd down conversions. But there ISN'T a 100% correlation of QB INTs and/or completion % to TEAM wins.

But his output last year resulted in 10 wins, although those are TEAM wins, not QB wins.
jshowers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to contributing to this thread on my adopt-a-vike. Will be watching him closely today.

Outside of the physical aspects of the game, I would like to see Ponder step up and play with confidence and swagger out there. Make your read and sling the ball, don't be tentative and/or anxious as he's looked on field before.
this providence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck of an opener for this bum.

Say all you want about the team around him, but I don't know how one could point to this guy and say they see improvement anywhere. Embarrassing that this team has chosen to waste years on this "QB."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't take some Vikings fans.

Can I put Ponder back up for adoption? I won't be able to have legitimate discussions concerning him without getting pissed. If anyone wants Ponder for adopt-a-vike he is open for the taking.

I would love to keep him but just won't be able to handle the arguments.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 1 of 63

Jump to: