Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Football Innovation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badger75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Football Innovation Reply with quote

When legendary Notre Dame football coach Frank Leahy first announced he was dumping the old and predictable Rockne "box formation", he was hounded so severely by the ND faithful, he spent his first two off seasons at the Mayo Clinic.

When Stanford first announced it was hiring Clark Shaughnessy and was going to unveil his new T-formation with man in motion, U. of the Pacific coach Amos Alonzo Stagg told reporters the system doesn't work, will get some kid injured, and that he would jump in the Pacific Ocean in his best suit if it worked.

Marc Trestman may need a season for his offense to work at playoff levels. Innovation takes time.

Cool
PackerPal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Instant Innovation Reply with quote

Unfortunately, modern era sports business, requires instant success for the naysayers to be silenced. Coach Trestman can hope for incremental success and subtle adjustments that MAY prove successful with the Bears. No modern day coach is granted rebuilding years anymore.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trestman isn’t trying to reinvent the wheel here…he is just trying to round it out…listening to him he has never said at any point this offseason we are going to be an explosive offence in year one…he understands that we just have to be an efficient offence that doesn’t lose games and then rely on the strength of the team which is still the defence and special teams…year two is when I would expect a jump.
Badger75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such wisdom from a Packers fan. Wink

Never let TV talkers tell you how to think. The 24 hour media has a grand canyon to fill up today with another one tomorrow. Newspapers need to sell in a diminishing market. Look at the silly picture on the front page of the Sunday Trib sports section.

Bears win if they keep calm and carry on. Rolling Eyes
Badger75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadMike90, agreed. Year two looks about right for a big jump.
PackerPal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

There is going to be considerable opportunity for the Bears coaching staff to tune up every component of the team. I doubt that Jay Cutler is going to appreciate being presented as CoachTrestman's wonder invention, that is on the Chicago Tribune sports page.
Badger75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Wade spent a decade throwing the ball all over the lot before settling for hand offs to a committee of running backs and a mean defense and the 1963 championship.

Jim Finks, the old Steelers QB, liked the why Jim McMahon threw the ball for BYU. But he won a SB handing off to Walter Payton.

Wink
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

PackerPal wrote:
There is going to be considerable opportunity for the Bears coaching staff to tune up every component of the team. I doubt that Jay Cutler is going to appreciate being presented as CoachTrestman's wonder invention, that is on the Chicago Tribune sports page.

Honestly, I doubt Cutler cares what the Chicago Tribune says any more. He is going out to win games and earn a monster contract. The wins, especially in the playoffs, will be remembered far more than some piddly article in any paper, even in the Chicago Tribune.

Also look at who is saying what. Jay would likely be irked if it was Emery or Trestman saying he was the "wonder invention" or whatever, but it is a journalist who is saying this. If Jay was worried about all of these peoples' writings, he would have been out of the game years ago. There are few players one could make a case for in the NFL who are under the same level of scrutiny Jay has been for the last several years. Now he is likely excited just to have talent around him, and could not care less what an outside source thinks.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
bkokot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
PackerPal wrote:

Honestly, I doubt Cutler cares what the Chicago Tribune says any more. He is going out to win games and earn a monster contract. The wins, especially in the playoffs, will be remembered far more than some piddly article in any paper, even in the Chicago Tribune.

Also look at who is saying what. Jay would likely be irked if it was Emery or Trestman saying he was the "wonder invention" or whatever, but it is a journalist who is saying this. If Jay was worried about all of these peoples' writings, he would have been out of the game years ago. There are few players one could make a case for in the NFL who are under the same level of scrutiny Jay has been for the last several years. Now he is likely excited just to have talent around him, and could not care less what an outside source thinks.

This is the first season where Cutler's had anywhere near the talent he had on offense when he was in Denver.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
PackerPal wrote:

This is the first season where Cutler's had anywhere near the talent he had on offense when he was in Denver.

Not really sure if you thought you were correcting me or emphasizing my point. I think the latter but I can't really tell.
bkokot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
bkokot wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
PackerPal wrote:

Not really sure if you thought you were correcting me or emphasizing my point. I think the latter but I can't really tell.

I was agreeing with you. I think new offense or not, we could see a breakout year from Cutler just because he finally has talent around him.
Badger75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears looked very good today.

Cutler looked good as did Forte, Marshall, Jefferies and especially Tillman.
Tillman looks like another Bears defender in the que for the hof.. Wink
SpeedKills24

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:

Although at times Tillman did do very well, there were plays where AJ Green made him look bad. Other than that and a few other miscues I was very impressed with the Bears.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
bkokot wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
PackerPal wrote:

I was agreeing with you. I think new offense or not, we could see a breakout year from Cutler just because he finally has talent around him.

Ok, good deal. I was happy with Jay's performance today. Played against one of the best front 7s in the game and still put up a good game, should have been better but there were a few drops and he had one really poor rushed throw, but for most of the game he was on point. He really seemed better in the second half when the offense was faster and more aggressive. Heck, I'd be pretty content with this play every game, ending with 32 TDs and 16 INTs for the first year in a system would still be a huge upgrade.

SpeedKills24 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

Although at times Tillman did do very well, there were plays where AJ Green made him look bad. Other than that and a few other miscues I was very impressed with the Bears.

I was most disappointed with our tackling and why we were dropping too deep in the zones. There were 10+ catches were no one was within 5 yards of thee receiver when they made the catch, and I was shocked at how poor the tackling was. They weren't wrapping up or driving through, especially Wright.
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedKills24 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

Tillman was suffering from dehydration today.

Adopted Bear: LB DJ Williams
Christmas List
Sack of Aaron Rodgers
Sack of Matthew Stafford
Tackle Adrian Peterson for loss

TFL: SACK: INT: FF: FR:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: