Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Football Innovation
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Badger75


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 7139
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Football Innovation Reply with quote

When legendary Notre Dame football coach Frank Leahy first announced he was dumping the old and predictable Rockne "box formation", he was hounded so severely by the ND faithful, he spent his first two off seasons at the Mayo Clinic.

When Stanford first announced it was hiring Clark Shaughnessy and was going to unveil his new T-formation with man in motion, U. of the Pacific coach Amos Alonzo Stagg told reporters the system doesn't work, will get some kid injured, and that he would jump in the Pacific Ocean in his best suit if it worked.

Marc Trestman may need a season for his offense to work at playoff levels. Innovation takes time.

Cool
_________________
"I have to keep playing so people over 40 will have somebody to root for on Sunday afternoons." George Blanda who played until he was 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PackerPal


Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Instant Innovation Reply with quote

Unfortunately, modern era sports business, requires instant success for the naysayers to be silenced. Coach Trestman can hope for incremental success and subtle adjustments that MAY prove successful with the Bears. No modern day coach is granted rebuilding years anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22544
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trestman isn’t trying to reinvent the wheel here…he is just trying to round it out…listening to him he has never said at any point this offseason we are going to be an explosive offence in year one…he understands that we just have to be an efficient offence that doesn’t lose games and then rely on the strength of the team which is still the defence and special teams…year two is when I would expect a jump.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Badger75


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 7139
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such wisdom from a Packers fan. Wink

Never let TV talkers tell you how to think. The 24 hour media has a grand canyon to fill up today with another one tomorrow. Newspapers need to sell in a diminishing market. Look at the silly picture on the front page of the Sunday Trib sports section.

Bears win if they keep calm and carry on. Rolling Eyes
_________________
"I have to keep playing so people over 40 will have somebody to root for on Sunday afternoons." George Blanda who played until he was 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Badger75


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 7139
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadMike90, agreed. Year two looks about right for a big jump.
_________________
"I have to keep playing so people over 40 will have somebody to root for on Sunday afternoons." George Blanda who played until he was 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PackerPal


Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

There is going to be considerable opportunity for the Bears coaching staff to tune up every component of the team. I doubt that Jay Cutler is going to appreciate being presented as CoachTrestman's wonder invention, that is on the Chicago Tribune sports page.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Badger75


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 7139
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Wade spent a decade throwing the ball all over the lot before settling for hand offs to a committee of running backs and a mean defense and the 1963 championship.

Jim Finks, the old Steelers QB, liked the why Jim McMahon threw the ball for BYU. But he won a SB handing off to Walter Payton.

Wink
_________________
"I have to keep playing so people over 40 will have somebody to root for on Sunday afternoons." George Blanda who played until he was 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 986
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

PackerPal wrote:
There is going to be considerable opportunity for the Bears coaching staff to tune up every component of the team. I doubt that Jay Cutler is going to appreciate being presented as CoachTrestman's wonder invention, that is on the Chicago Tribune sports page.


Honestly, I doubt Cutler cares what the Chicago Tribune says any more. He is going out to win games and earn a monster contract. The wins, especially in the playoffs, will be remembered far more than some piddly article in any paper, even in the Chicago Tribune.

Also look at who is saying what. Jay would likely be irked if it was Emery or Trestman saying he was the "wonder invention" or whatever, but it is a journalist who is saying this. If Jay was worried about all of these peoples' writings, he would have been out of the game years ago. There are few players one could make a case for in the NFL who are under the same level of scrutiny Jay has been for the last several years. Now he is likely excited just to have talent around him, and could not care less what an outside source thinks.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie of the Year Award
Adopt-a-Bear
Matt Forte
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkokot


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 1445
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
PackerPal wrote:
There is going to be considerable opportunity for the Bears coaching staff to tune up every component of the team. I doubt that Jay Cutler is going to appreciate being presented as CoachTrestman's wonder invention, that is on the Chicago Tribune sports page.


Honestly, I doubt Cutler cares what the Chicago Tribune says any more. He is going out to win games and earn a monster contract. The wins, especially in the playoffs, will be remembered far more than some piddly article in any paper, even in the Chicago Tribune.

Also look at who is saying what. Jay would likely be irked if it was Emery or Trestman saying he was the "wonder invention" or whatever, but it is a journalist who is saying this. If Jay was worried about all of these peoples' writings, he would have been out of the game years ago. There are few players one could make a case for in the NFL who are under the same level of scrutiny Jay has been for the last several years. Now he is likely excited just to have talent around him, and could not care less what an outside source thinks.


This is the first season where Cutler's had anywhere near the talent he had on offense when he was in Denver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 986
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
PackerPal wrote:
There is going to be considerable opportunity for the Bears coaching staff to tune up every component of the team. I doubt that Jay Cutler is going to appreciate being presented as CoachTrestman's wonder invention, that is on the Chicago Tribune sports page.


Honestly, I doubt Cutler cares what the Chicago Tribune says any more. He is going out to win games and earn a monster contract. The wins, especially in the playoffs, will be remembered far more than some piddly article in any paper, even in the Chicago Tribune.

Also look at who is saying what. Jay would likely be irked if it was Emery or Trestman saying he was the "wonder invention" or whatever, but it is a journalist who is saying this. If Jay was worried about all of these peoples' writings, he would have been out of the game years ago. There are few players one could make a case for in the NFL who are under the same level of scrutiny Jay has been for the last several years. Now he is likely excited just to have talent around him, and could not care less what an outside source thinks.


This is the first season where Cutler's had anywhere near the talent he had on offense when he was in Denver.


Not really sure if you thought you were correcting me or emphasizing my point. I think the latter but I can't really tell.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie of the Year Award
Adopt-a-Bear
Matt Forte
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkokot


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 1445
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
bkokot wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
PackerPal wrote:
There is going to be considerable opportunity for the Bears coaching staff to tune up every component of the team. I doubt that Jay Cutler is going to appreciate being presented as CoachTrestman's wonder invention, that is on the Chicago Tribune sports page.


Honestly, I doubt Cutler cares what the Chicago Tribune says any more. He is going out to win games and earn a monster contract. The wins, especially in the playoffs, will be remembered far more than some piddly article in any paper, even in the Chicago Tribune.

Also look at who is saying what. Jay would likely be irked if it was Emery or Trestman saying he was the "wonder invention" or whatever, but it is a journalist who is saying this. If Jay was worried about all of these peoples' writings, he would have been out of the game years ago. There are few players one could make a case for in the NFL who are under the same level of scrutiny Jay has been for the last several years. Now he is likely excited just to have talent around him, and could not care less what an outside source thinks.


This is the first season where Cutler's had anywhere near the talent he had on offense when he was in Denver.


Not really sure if you thought you were correcting me or emphasizing my point. I think the latter but I can't really tell.


I was agreeing with you. I think new offense or not, we could see a breakout year from Cutler just because he finally has talent around him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Badger75


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 7139
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears looked very good today.

Cutler looked good as did Forte, Marshall, Jefferies and especially Tillman.
Tillman looks like another Bears defender in the que for the hof.. Wink
_________________
"I have to keep playing so people over 40 will have somebody to root for on Sunday afternoons." George Blanda who played until he was 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpeedKills24


Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 84
Location: Wisco
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Bears looked very good today.

Cutler looked good as did Forte, Marshall, Jefferies and especially Tillman.
Tillman looks like another Bears defender in the que for the hof.. Wink


Although at times Tillman did do very well, there were plays where AJ Green made him look bad. Other than that and a few other miscues I was very impressed with the Bears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 986
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense, Offense, Special Teams Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
bkokot wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
PackerPal wrote:
There is going to be considerable opportunity for the Bears coaching staff to tune up every component of the team. I doubt that Jay Cutler is going to appreciate being presented as CoachTrestman's wonder invention, that is on the Chicago Tribune sports page.


Honestly, I doubt Cutler cares what the Chicago Tribune says any more. He is going out to win games and earn a monster contract. The wins, especially in the playoffs, will be remembered far more than some piddly article in any paper, even in the Chicago Tribune.

Also look at who is saying what. Jay would likely be irked if it was Emery or Trestman saying he was the "wonder invention" or whatever, but it is a journalist who is saying this. If Jay was worried about all of these peoples' writings, he would have been out of the game years ago. There are few players one could make a case for in the NFL who are under the same level of scrutiny Jay has been for the last several years. Now he is likely excited just to have talent around him, and could not care less what an outside source thinks.


This is the first season where Cutler's had anywhere near the talent he had on offense when he was in Denver.


Not really sure if you thought you were correcting me or emphasizing my point. I think the latter but I can't really tell.


I was agreeing with you. I think new offense or not, we could see a breakout year from Cutler just because he finally has talent around him.


Ok, good deal. I was happy with Jay's performance today. Played against one of the best front 7s in the game and still put up a good game, should have been better but there were a few drops and he had one really poor rushed throw, but for most of the game he was on point. He really seemed better in the second half when the offense was faster and more aggressive. Heck, I'd be pretty content with this play every game, ending with 32 TDs and 16 INTs for the first year in a system would still be a huge upgrade.


SpeedKills24 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Bears looked very good today.

Cutler looked good as did Forte, Marshall, Jefferies and especially Tillman.
Tillman looks like another Bears defender in the que for the hof.. Wink


Although at times Tillman did do very well, there were plays where AJ Green made him look bad. Other than that and a few other miscues I was very impressed with the Bears.


I was most disappointed with our tackling and why we were dropping too deep in the zones. There were 10+ catches were no one was within 5 yards of thee receiver when they made the catch, and I was shocked at how poor the tackling was. They weren't wrapping up or driving through, especially Wright.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie of the Year Award
Adopt-a-Bear
Matt Forte
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chisoxguy7


Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Posts: 2773
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedKills24 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Bears looked very good today.

Cutler looked good as did Forte, Marshall, Jefferies and especially Tillman.
Tillman looks like another Bears defender in the que for the hof.. Wink


Although at times Tillman did do very well, there were plays where AJ Green made him look bad. Other than that and a few other miscues I was very impressed with the Bears.


Tillman was suffering from dehydration today.
_________________


Adopted Bear: LB DJ Williams
Christmas List
Sack of Aaron Rodgers
Sack of Matthew Stafford
Tackle Adrian Peterson for loss

TFL: SACK: INT: FF: FR:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group