Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redzone Offense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Awesimo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Redzone Offense Reply with quote

Quote:
Imagine this red zone scenario for a moment if you’re the Vikings secondary. The Lions trout out Calvin Johnson (6-5), Kris Durham (6-6), Brandon Pettigrew (6-5) and Joseph Fauria (6-7) down around the goal line.

I was recently reading this article and wanted to see what some other fans thoughts are on this in the redzone.

I agree the size is helpful in the redzone and we really seemed to struggle in that area last year, but stone hands Pettigrew and Durham honestly don't get me too excited.

Fauria on the other hand, idk I just have a gut feeling he could be a monster in that area of the field. I love his thoughts on playing in the redzone too.

Quote:
What did your mom used to do to keep the cookies away from you? She used to put them high up. Well, my mom couldn’t do that to me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is it wont matter when they can not separate. Size is good but the combination of drops and lack of route running ability is not flattering.

I would prefer a smaller guy in redzone as well who is quicker off line and crisp routes.

Those big guys can go up for ball all they want. Jump balls are not the best IMO. A crisp slant route which bigger guys struggle with is better for not turning ball over IMO

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Awesimo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Problem is it wont matter when they can not separate. Size is good but the combination of drops and lack of route running ability is not flattering.

I would prefer a smaller guy in redzone as well who is quicker off line and crisp routes.

Those big guys can go up for ball all they want. Jump balls are not the best IMO. A crisp slant route which bigger guys struggle with is better for not turning ball over IMO

I understand that but from what I've seen slant routes have lead to int's in the redzone for us. Separation I agree is a big issue, but when you are that big a jump ball could be very beneficial especially when we know the coverage is going to be on Megatron.

I would like to see Durham replaced with Broyles [the healthy version] in this scenario. His route running would give us a good slant or in route, then use Fauria to do a curl route towards the back of the endzone and of course Megatron with the fade.

I trust Pettigrew's hands less than I trust a sinking ship. Hopefully he proves me wrong this year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesimo wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

I understand that but from what I've seen slant routes have lead to int's in the redzone for us. Separation I agree is a big issue, but when you are that big a jump ball could be very beneficial especially when we know the coverage is going to be on Megatron.

I would like to see Durham replaced with Broyles [the healthy version] in this scenario. His route running would give us a good slant or in route, then use Fauria to do a curl route towards the back of the endzone and of course Megatron with the fade.

I trust Pettigrew's hands less than I trust a sinking ship. Hopefully he proves me wrong this year.

I think the best weapon in red zone is Bush on swing pass honestly when it comes to passing game

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The talent is there, the excuses are over. McNabb did it with Westbrook, Freddie Mitchell, Pinkston and Thrash.

Put up or shut up time; this offense should score, and score often.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
The talent is there, the excuses are over. McNabb did it with Westbrook, Freddie Mitchell, Pinkston and Thrash.

Good running game and lack of drops really did wonders for McNabb. Solid point

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

They had RB by committee, and you have no clue what they're drop rate was.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

They had RB by committee, and you have no clue what they're drop rate was.

The site goes back long way with data

Rbbc does not mean bad run game either

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the article literally, that is not something I want to do.

Size doesnt solve everything.

Our main problem in the red-zone last year was space, which was due to no run threat, and poor play calling.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:

Our main problem in the red-zone last year was space, which was due to no run threat, and poor play calling.

I hope Reggie solves some spacing issues

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Awesimo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:

I agree, but I thought the size was still interesting. Again I'm pretty hopeful that Fauria can help with some of the redzone woes by giving Stafford another big threat in that area of the field, especially given Stafford's issues with accuracy at times.

I definitely think size won't fix our woes from the redzone, execution was our biggest enemy last year. Hopefully Lions actually show some focus this year. *crossing fingers*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fauria's TD was a good example of this. I think 11 guys were covering CJ on that play, Stafford never even looked that way. Then again, after seeing that dance, I honestly hope he never scores again.

Use Pettigrew, despite the haters, he's our best TE. Jimmy Graham had more drops last year, who's calling him stone hands?
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
Fauria's TD was a good example of this. I think 11 guys were covering CJ on that play, Stafford never even looked that way. Then again, after seeing that dance, I honestly hope he never scores again.

Use Pettigrew, despite the haters, he's our best TE. Jimmy Graham had more drops last year, who's calling him stone hands?
You can't be freaking serious
IDOG_det

amaru0 wrote:

2 things: 1: Graham had more targets and attention on him, so more total drops isn't too crazy. 2: Pettigrew is listed as only having 8 drops but we all know it was more than that.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
DetroitPride26

amaru0 wrote:

The Saints offense was garbage last year without Peyton....You're not going to pick a guy because his dance? Are you serious? He was having the time of his life and pumped up out of his mind...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: