Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft Thread We're OTC!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whos it going to be boys? Teddy or Clowney?

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the Sio sig.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:

I think if we'er at #1 it'll be Bridgewater, no brainer.

If we drop to #2/3, then it'll be Barr.

Jeffery doesn't seem like our type of guy.
stevo238019

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah totally agree I wish there was another option for QB cause I want Anthony Barr so bad. No Clowney I just think he doesn't have it mentally atleast as of right now.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize things will most likely change over the next 4.5 months but hypothetically if Bridgewater is still the consensus #1 overall pick on draft day and the only elite level QB in the draft, what would be the realistic cost to a team to trade up and get him? What would we get from Cleveland, if they trade up, who currently have the #7 and #24 picks in the 1st round? What could we realistically get from St. Louis, who currently have the #2 and #12 picks? What could we realistically get from any other team you can think of that might need a QB and want to trade up for Teddy?
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its gonna be Clowney. Not sure if we're gonna get Antonio Smith back, and even if we do.. he's not what he used to be. We're really thin at DL, and pairing Watt and Clowney is the best thing we could do out of this draft class. I think if we'd have kept Mario Williams somehow that he and Watt would've been the best pass rushing duo in the league. Clowney is probably going to be better than Mario.

Honestly, if I were going to go QB, I'd go Manziel before Bridgewater. Similarly built players, Manziel is faster and more elusive, and has better than expected accuracy.

I'd rather sign Jay Cutler than draft Bridgewater though.

LORK88
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I realize things will most likely change over the next 4.5 months but hypothetically if Bridgewater is still the consensus #1 overall pick on draft day and the only elite level QB in the draft, what would be the realistic cost to a team to trade up and get him? What would we get from Cleveland, if they trade up, who currently have the #7 and #24 picks in the 1st round? What could we realistically get from St. Louis, who currently have the #2 and #12 picks? What could we realistically get from any other team you can think of that might need a QB and want to trade up for Teddy?

St Louis isn't replacing Bradford when they still owe him a boatload of money, but if Cleveland wants to trade up I would ask for both 1st's this year plus a 2nd this year then a 1st next year. Similar to what Redskins gave up for RG3.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
texans_uk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
I think its gonna be Clowney. Not sure if we're gonna get Antonio Smith back, and even if we do.. he's not what he used to be. We're really thin at DL, and pairing Watt and Clowney is the best thing we could do out of this draft class. I think if we'd have kept Mario Williams somehow that he and Watt would've been the best pass rushing duo in the league. Clowney is probably going to be better than Mario.

Honestly, if I were going to go QB, I'd go Manziel before Bridgewater. Similarly built players, Manziel is faster and more elusive, and has better than expected accuracy.

Clowney isn't a 3-4DE.

Cutler is a below average QB.

Teddy is a better QB than Manziel.

Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

St Louis isn't replacing Bradford when they still owe him a boatload of money, but if Cleveland wants to trade up I would ask for both 1st's this year plus a 2nd this year then a 1st next year. Similar to what Redskins gave up for RG3.

The Redskins gave up three 1st round picks and a 2nd to go from #6 to #2, shouldn't moving from #7 to #1 be more expensive especially in a year with only 1 elite level QB prospect. I'm thinking both their 1st this year, 1st in 2015, 2nd this year, as well as 2nd next year OR both 3rd this year.
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

I think if we'er at #1 it'll be Bridgewater, no brainer.

If we drop to #2/3, then it'll be Barr.

Jeffery doesn't seem like our type of guy.

I think the pick will come down to Bridgewater or Matthews, not Barr.

EDIT: My thinking is this: if we don't take Bridgewater, we're running with Case for at least one more year and the entire draft needs to be focused on giving him talent and weapons to succeed as a starter. That starts with Right Tackle. Matthews will not succeed in the NFL as a Left Tackle, but I do believe he is the best tackle in the draft by a long shot... just that he needs to play the right side at the next level.

If we move into the position to take Matthews at #2-5 via trade with St. Louis or Cleveland, use the second pick to take a tight end. ASJ late in the 1st (damn Amaro for returning to school--I love him as a prospect). Add to the defense starting in the 2nd (hopefully we'd have obtained another in this mythical trade). Take a couple of guys like Shayne Skov and Kyle Van Noy to shore up the linebacking corps. In the 3rd we could focus on some really promising secondary prospects who've fallen, like Louchiez Purifoy and E.J. Gaines.

This isn't a great draft, but there are some nice "tier II guys" starting at the bottom of the 1st and possibly extending all the way to the 5th round.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
PAtexansFAN99 wrote:

Clowney isn't a 3-4DE.

Clowney could easily be a 3-4 DE OR a 3-4 OLB. OR a 4-3 DE (which may be what we're running). In any case he's the freakiest player in the draft. You just don't see guys that big move that quick.

Cutler is better than anyone we have right now. Look what the Chiefs did with Alex Smith, hell, look what the Jags are now able to do with Henne.

I just think if you're going for a QB, you may as well swing for the fences.

LORK88
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
PAtexansFAN99 wrote:

Clowney isn't a 3-4DE.

Clowney could easily be a 3-4 DE OR a 3-4 OLB. OR a 4-3 DE (which may be what we're running). In any case he's the freakiest player in the draft. You just don't see guys that big move that quick.

Cutler is better than anyone we have right now. Look what the Chiefs did with Alex Smith, hell, look what the Jags are now able to do with Henne.

Sure you do. About every four years, in fact. Their names include Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, and JJ Watt.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
PAtexansFAN99 wrote:

Clowney isn't a 3-4DE.

Sure you do. About every four years, in fact. Their names include Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, and JJ Watt.

You get his point, they are RARE talents. My issue is, out of those 4 he is BY FAR the biggest risk. No matter how you slice it, he has red flags for character and what "motivates" him. No matter what his reasoning, he still CHOSE not to play hard and risk it for the good of the team.....

Im not sold on barr AT ALL. And I am 50/50 on Teddy. Just not sold he is a great pure talent. Would hate to waste the pick on him just because he is the best in the class and we have the best pick.....I hope we do our homework on him.

And I would hate picking a RT top 5, no matter how good some think Matthews will be (not sure he is that good either)......im not sure what I think our best route is....lots to study yet
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
kenney wrote:
PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
PAtexansFAN99 wrote:

Clowney isn't a 3-4DE.

You get his point, they are RARE talents. My issue is, out of those 4 he is BY FAR the biggest risk. No matter how you slice it, he has red flags for character and what "motivates" him. No matter what his reasoning, he still CHOSE not to play hard and risk it for the good of the team.....

Im not sold on barr AT ALL. And I am 50/50 on Teddy. Just not sold he is a great pure talent. Would hate to waste the pick on him just because he is the best in the class and we have the best pick.....I hope we do our homework on him.

And I would hate picking a RT top 5, no matter how good some think Matthews will be (not sure he is that good either)......im not sure what I think our best route is....lots to study yet

My problem is that no one acknowledges that Clowney is NOT a unique talent and his enormous concerns are not in any way washed away by claims of his supposed pre-eminence. Further still, history definitively shows that having one of these talents has literally no bearing on how good your team is going forward.

Also, I don't understand peoples' ambivalence or apprehension regarding Bridgewater. What's not to like? There is exactly one QB in the past 5 years who's been a definitively better prospect, and that's Andrew Luck.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been sold on teddy and couldn't figure it out until now. He has no zip on his ball. He has the arm to throw deep, but his zip, or ability to throw a dart seems to be non existent, even his wr screens are bad. the ball TAKES FOREVER to get there. In the NFL he will need to be able to sling that thing into tight windows, Im not sold he can.......
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
I haven't been sold on teddy and couldn't figure it out until now. He has no zip on his ball. He has the arm to throw deep, but his zip, or ability to throw a dart seems to be non existent, even his wr screens are bad. the ball TAKES FOREVER to get there. In the NFL he will need to be able to sling that thing into tight windows, Im not sold he can.......

Not sure which Bridgewater you've been watching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 15 of 40

Jump to: