Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft Thread We're OTC!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenney

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
kenney wrote:
dsorc wrote:
I find this discussion of Clowney and trading down and little pointless. We don't have a QB so if Bridgewater is there he will be the pick. There is no RG3 to Luck in the draft; all the other QBs are clearly worse than Bridgewater. I think a much more interesting question is what do we want to do with our 2nd and 3rd round picks who should be contributors to next year's team. I would love if one the NTs (Hageman, and Nix) falls into our laps in the 2nd.

I'd like our 2nd round pick to be Brian Cushing clone, Shayne Skov. If the Lovie interest is genuine, having the two of them at linebacker would be akin to when Smith had Urlacher and Briggs anchoring his defense.

Other players we should consider at the top of the 2nd include Stanford DE Trent Murphy, BYU LB Kyle Van Noy, ASU DT Will Sutton, Washington TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, Tennessee OT Antonio Richardson, Alabama FS HaSean Clinton-Dix, Vanderbilt WR Jordan Mathews, and TCU CB Jason Verrett (there are actually a glut of CBs right here that are worth considering; Okie State's Justin Gilbert and Ohio State's Bradley Roby included).

If we keep the top pick in the draft there are a lot of really good players to address immediate positions of need inthis draft.

Would either of you consider pairing a 2nd and a 4th (or 2015 3rd) to move back into the 1st round - since we are doing hypotheticals - if Nix, Murphy (who some scouts think might be available after the 3rd Shocked), Van Noy, Skov, or Clinton-Dix were available there?

I ask because under new CBA you can sign 1st round picks to 5 year contract as opposed to 4 year deals for 2nd and lower... so if you know you are getting a good player it helps stave off free agency for a year and keeps your costs down.

Plus I am anticipating 3 compensatory picks Wink

I'm basically always down for trading back into the 1st. In fact my impossible dream scenario for this team involves managing to land Bridgewater and both my Stanford mancrushes in Skov and Murphy.
dsorc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the right player is there, I would definitely like the trade back into 1st. My thinking is that if you have a guy in your top 15 and he's dropping, then it makes perfect sense. I could see Nix, Hageman , and Clinton-Dix as targets simply based on positional scarcity. Van Noy is a pure value play as well that fits the tenet. I think Murphy and Skov will be available in the 2nd and maybe even 3rd for Skov. People will wonder how much their results are due to the general talent around them plus the PAC12 not being all that great. With Skov you also have injury concerns. That being said, I love both of them as prospects and the idea of Skov and Cushing paired up would be amazing. Perfect personality fits with each other.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
I find this discussion of Clowney and trading down and little pointless. We don't have a QB so if Bridgewater is there he will be the pick. There is no RG3 to Luck in the draft; all the other QBs are clearly worse than Bridgewater.

Bingo. The drop between Bridgewater and any QB not named Johnny Manziel is significant (not saying there's not a drop between Manziel and Bridgewater - there is, but not as bad). We pass/miss on Teddy, we better expect to have this discussion on QBs in about two seasons.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Redskins and Falcons play this week, which will give one of the 3 win teams their 4th dub. Hopefully it's the Skins, but the Falcons have been playing a lot better as of late.

The Colts are in town this week, but have been shaken to say the least....

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rule out any CB from the Big 10 or Big 12 because there isn't a pro prospect drafted in the first 2 days of the draft playing in either conference. If Lovie is the next coach expect us to switch to the 4-3 so I would look at DT or OT at the beginning of the second unless Dix falls and FS is a priority in the offseason.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Clowney was pulled of for going 110 in a 70 this weekend.....

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
LORK 88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:

The Mario Williams comparisons are growing stronger...

ADOPT-A-TEXAN: CJ "Polish Hat" Fiedorowicz
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LORK 88 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

The Mario Williams comparisons are growing stronger...

And he's still in college....his entitlement issues are growing

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
texandominance

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
I would rule out any CB from the Big 10 or Big 12 because there isn't a pro prospect drafted in the first 2 days of the draft playing in either conference. If Lovie is the next coach expect us to switch to the 4-3 so I would look at DT or OT at the beginning of the second unless Dix falls and FS is a priority in the offseason.

Bradley Roby, Darqueze Dennard, Justin Gilbert and Jason Verrett would like to think otherwise.
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Bradley Roby, Darqueze Dennard, Justin Gilbert and Jason Verrett would like to think otherwise.

Can you name a QB from the Big 12 or 10 that will be drafted in the first 2 days of the draft? Everyone looks better when you going against crappy QB play. See Kareem Jackson when he came out of the SEC with no QB's in the SEC. Looks can be deceiving when your playing against inferior talent.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:

Well technically Jimmy Smith was drafted by the Ravens in round 1 in 2011 out of Colorado before they went to the Pac 12. He is turning out to be a pretty good CB for Baltimore. I dont buy that notion that if you are a CB from the Big 10 or Big 12 you should pass on him in round 1-3. If you can play, you can play.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
texandominance wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Can you name a QB from the Big 12 or 10 that will be drafted in the first 2 days of the draft? Everyone looks better when you going against crappy QB play. See Kareem Jackson when he came out of the SEC with no QB's in the SEC. Looks can be deceiving when your playing against inferior talent.

Braxton Miller when he comes out. I have watched Big 10 games all year. Rody and Dennard are the real deal. Good in coverage and good against the run. I would take either of them if they are there
texandominance

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
buckwild wrote:
texandominance wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Braxton Miller when he comes out. I have watched Big 10 games all year. Rody and Dennard are the real deal. Good in coverage and good against the run. I would take either of them if they are there

I agree that the QBs in the Big10 aren't the best but these two guys didn't get taken advantage of by lesser talents
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Well technically Jimmy Smith was drafted by the Ravens in round 1 in 2011 out of Colorado before they went to the Pac 12. He is turning out to be a pretty good CB for Baltimore. I dont buy that notion that if you are a CB from the Big 10 or Big 12 you should pass on him in round 1-3. If you can play, you can play.

Cool Interesting.......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:

Huh? I may be on board with you on the Big 10 side of things, but the Big 12 has developed more pro qbs than any other conference the past 4 seasons and a ton of high end WRs to go with them. There is a reason the top 3 CBs all come from the Big 12 this season as DCs know they need to bring in elite corners to try to shut down the pass happy attacks of Baylor, Tech, OSU, WVU, and balanced attacks of UT, OU, K State and TCU.

1) Bryce Petty would have been a 2nd rounder had he come out and will come into next season as a top 10 overall prospect. Geno Smith was the top college QB in 2013 (even if Manuel was taken before him) and Landry Jones was no slouch as a 4th rounder. Presumably Senior CBs would have played against first rounders RG3, Tannehill, and Weeden thru 2012 and perhaps even 1st rounder Gabbert in 2011.

2) They would have covered 2013 1st rounder Tavon Austin, 3rd rounders Terrence Williams, Stedmon Bailey, and Marquise Goodwin and 5 others drafted 4th-6th. 2012 included first round WRs Justin Blackmun and Kendall Wright & 2nd rounder Ryan Broyles.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 14 of 46

Jump to: