Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft Thread We're OTC!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: 2014 Draft Thread We're OTC! Reply with quote

With a new season kicking off, it's never to early to talk draft. This could be the draft we take a QB early-ish with the stacked class that should be coming out.

Some of the top prospects include:

QB
Bridgewater (UL)
Murray (UGA)
Carr (Fresno)
Manziel (ATM)
Fales (SJSU)
Boyd (CLEM)
Thomas (VT)
Hundley (UCLA)
Hogan (STAN)
Renner (UNC)
Mariota (ORE)
Macarron (BAMA)

RB
Thomas (ORE)
Seastrunk (BAY)
Carrey (ARI)

WR
Lee (USC)
Watkins (CLEM)
Evans (ATM)

TE
Seferian-Jenkins (WASH)
Lyerla (ORE)
Ebron (UNC)
Gimble (USC)

OL
Mathews (ATM)
Lewan (MICH)
Kouandjio (BAMA)
Richardson (BAY)

DL
Clowney (SCAR)
Tuitt (ND)
Nix (ND)
Johnson (LSU)
Sutton (ASU)

OLB
Barr (UCLA)
Murphy (STAN)
Noy (BYU)
Lynch (USF)
Hubbard (BAMA)

ILB
Mosely (BAMA)
Shazier (OSU)
Johsnon (TENN)
Jones (FSU)
Mack (BUFF)
Jackson (WKENT)

CB
Roby (OSU)
Purifoy (FL)
Roberson (FL)
Colvin (OU)
Ekpre-Olomu (ORE)
Everett (ATM)

S
Dix (BAMA)
Reynolds (STAN)
Loston (LSU)
Sunseri (BAMA)
Ladler (VANDY)

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles

Last edited by lumberjackchris on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
treece300e

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see how the rest of the season pans out, but my opinion at this time is that our priority should be getting a CB early in the draft (1st or 2nd round). Even if we retain KJ, JJoe is going to become very costly soon and thus far has looked sub-par this preseason. I don't think 2014 is a great class for CBs, and I stand by the fact that we should have drafted one earlier in the 2013 draft as it was pretty deep. My favorite CB at this time would be Marcus Roberson from Florida. The Gators tend to produce very good NFL CBs, and he has the size and speed that we need. To my knowledge, he hasn't had any off-field issues, either. I also really like Kyle Fuller from VT. He is probably more of a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but I like his size and physicality. Not to mention I recall our FO liking VT players, right? Depending on how things develop, I could see us double-dipping at CB, or at least going CB/S.

As much as I'd love for us to go ILB early, I don't think we can justify paying Cushing and a first rounder in the middle. Very good ILBs can be found in the second and third rounds. I would also consider OT in the first, but I think our propensity is to try and develop our young guys, so I see us giving Williams at least a year to determine whether or not he belongs.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with the way Smith has attacked drafts, and with no gaping holes on the roster will go BPA in the 1st. I would love an ILB and this draft could be stacked with high end talent.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
Cole416

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice is someone like Mathews (TAMU) would fall to us. But I doubt that'd happen. Also if Tajh falls to the 2nd or 3rd I hope we could get him. He just always seemed like a good player.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we go after a QB in 2014. We re-sign Antonio Smith for 2-3 yrs. at a discount thus lowering his base salary and alleviating the need to use our 1st round pick on a DT/DE. Based on this past off season the market for older vet. FA isn't all that great. Teams aren't lining up to throw big money at older vets. so we can probably get him back at a discount. Here's how my draft would go:

1. OLB, I think we move Brooks Reed to ILB, like we wanted to do this offseason, and draft an OLB in the 1st round thus fixing 2 positions with 1 pick. With the continued development of Tuggle and Jefferson we should have some depth.

2. CB, we need an early round CB to begin preparing for the future and give us some current depth.

3. Safety, I think Ed Reed is probably 1 and done for us so we get a Safety in the 3rd and again in the 7th for some depth.

4. OT/OG, I think Wade Smith will be gone and Quessenberry will take over at LG then we'll draft an OT/OG in the 4th for competition at RT and depth. Newton, B. Williams, and rookie battle for the RT spot.

5. TE, I think OD is gone in 2014, Graham moves up and I was impressed with Ryan Griffen in preseason. We then take a TE in the 5th for depth.

6. ILB, added depth behind Cushing, Reed, and Tuggle. An OLB in the 1st and an ILB here, along with development from Tuggle and Jefferson make Montgomery, Dobbins, Sharpton, and T. Williams expendable if they're not careful.

7. Safety, added depth that moves Keo off the roster and plays special teams.

Getting Antonio Smith at a discount, along with losing OD, Ed Reed, and Wade Smith saves us some money to begin the JJ Watt contract extension.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
We'll see how the rest of the season pans out, but my opinion at this time is that our priority should be getting a CB early in the draft (1st or 2nd round). Even if we retain KJ, JJoe is going to become very costly soon and thus far has looked sub-par this preseason. I don't think 2014 is a great class for CBs, and I stand by the fact that we should have drafted one earlier in the 2013 draft as it was pretty deep. My favorite CB at this time would be Marcus Roberson from Florida. The Gators tend to produce very good NFL CBs, and he has the size and speed that we need. To my knowledge, he hasn't had any off-field issues, eiother. I also really like Kyle Fuller from VT. He is probably more of a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but I like his size and physicality. Not to mention I recall our FO liking VT players, right? Depending on how things develop, I could see us double-dipping at CB, or at least going CB/S.

As much as I'd love for us to go ILB early, I don't think we can justify paying Cushing and a first rounder in the middle. Very good ILBs can be found in the second and third rounds. I would also consider OT in the first, but I think our propensity is to try and develop our young guys, so I see us giving Williams at least a year to determine whether or not he belongs.

It would've been wise to get one this past draft since it would set us up better in the coming years but we have some needs that will need to burn early picks on before CB due to CBs taking time to develop before being effective. I'd prefer we look into a safety early again since I don't see manning as a long term answer and Swearinger still an unknown and we get good use out of our 3rd safety.

I would like to see a couple more early-mid round draft picks spent on linemen as well.
Quint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im surprised by the lack of suggestion of RT so far, I would put it up there with CB and DE (sans Ninja). There were a lot of problems vs. Balt., but if D.Brown goes down for any reason we dont have anyone who belongs on the field at either OT position IMO.

Of course with this style Oline you can hopefully find guys later as they arent as highly coveted, but it hasnt worked well for us lately. Ideally you could find someone who could play LT in a pinch, or perhaps in the future as D.Brown ages.

I dont trust improvement in our current guys, or a healthy Williams; perhaps im jumping the gun.

Add in that this looks to be a loaded class at OT, maybe we can pounce on someone who falls if he fits our system. Early on im wathincg A.Richardson, Tenn, but too early to tell both on where we pick and how he plays all year.
kanedafx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone with franchise QB potential falls to us, we should absolutely pick them up. 2014 is flooded with good QBs. 2015 not so much as so many of them will already have graduated.

We wait another year, we're left with the dregs, or trading way way up to snag one of the only 2 or 3 decent QBs available.
dsorc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to put this but it should play in to our draft plans. Montgomery is being moved to DE. I think there were quite a few of us that thought that was the original plan. At the very least, this should mean that Jamison will not be retained as Montgomery and Crick will be the backup DEs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Wasn't sure where to put this but it should play in to our draft plans. Montgomery is being moved to DE. I think there were quite a few of us that thought that was the original plan. At the very least, this should mean that Jamison will not be retained as Montgomery and Crick will be the backup DEs.

I think Montgomery is to heavy and slow for OLB, and to small and slow for 3-4 DE. To me Montgomery is a slow 4-3 DE. IMO Montgomery should be traded and we cut our losses on him, it was just a bad draft pick. Maybe we could get a 3rd round pick for him but doubtful. With this move OLB now should move up on the priority list in the 2014 draft.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 1st/2nd rounders will be between CB, OT, QB the other positions on the team are pretty solid aside from OG with Wade most likely leaving via free agency, but we not take a OG till the 3rd at the earliest.

On a side not to the 2013 I wish would of taken my boy Kiko Alonzo from Oregon, he's tearing it up in the middle of the Bills D.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Our 1st/2nd rounders will be between CB, OT, QB the other positions on the team are pretty solid aside from OG with Wade most likely leaving via free agency, but we not take a OG till the 3rd at the earliest.

On a side not to the 2013 I wish would of taken my boy Kiko Alonzo from Oregon, he's tearing it up in the middle of the Bills D.

Huh? The Bills are getting gashed for 155 yards a game on the ground, 31st in the league and that's against the Pats, Jets, and Panthers. Can't say I've watched a Bills game this year, but it seems to me that the Bills still haven't figured out that putting together a defense full of players built for coverage and the pass rush just begs teams to run right over you just like the failed Eagles "dream team" defenses. Maybe they could go get Asante Samuel next.

As for the draft scenario, I still don't know why everyone wants to run Wade Smith out of town. Dude is only 32 which is still young for a lineman and only makes $3 million. I don't see him as the type teams are going to go throwing big $ at especially with the failures of Texans lineman outside of our system and so few teams still running ZBS. I would think we would want to fix the right side of the o-line before we go ditching Pro Bowlers on the left. Jones is a swinging gate pass protector and Quess didn't exactly do much more than play a bit better than a 6th round rookie might have been expected to. We have made the mistake before of confusing a practice and OTA overachiever with an NFL starter (see Derek Newton). As far as I'm concerned, we've reached the point where we need to retain the vets and use our picks to add unique talent rather than just replace parts that are already working. I don't think 2014 should present the cap challenges of the past 2 seasons.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like this year's QB class. I doubt Hogan and Hundley comes out this year though. They will be top 10 picks in the following year assuming they stay in school. I still think we need to address ILB early next year. Its obvious Smith was targeting Authur Brown in round 2 before the Ravens took him. I like AJ Johnson and CJ Mosely.

Quote:
Huh? The Bills are getting gashed for 155 yards a game on the ground, 31st in the league and that's against the Pats, Jets, and Panthers. Can't say I've watched a Bills game this year, but it seems to me that the Bills still haven't figured out that putting together a defense full of players built for coverage and the pass rush just begs teams to run right over you just like the failed Eagles "dream team" defenses. Maybe they could go get Asante Samuel next.

According to Bills fans on the site, they have been raving about Alonso. I was a fan of Alonso also even with the character concerns. Another reason why you don't have to spend a high pick on an ILB.

Quote:

Like the move better than when we moved him to OLB. Doesn't seem like a good fit. He still belongs as a 4/3 DE, but hopefully he gains weight and be around 280 so he can fit in the 3/4 as a DE. Coaches finally figured out that he isnt fluid enough to be a 3/4 OLB.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

As for the draft scenario, I still don't know why everyone wants to run Wade Smith out of town. Dude is only 32 which is still young for a lineman and only makes $3 million. I don't see him as the type teams are going to go throwing big $ at especially with the failures of Texans lineman outside of our system and so few teams still running ZBS. I would think we would want to fix the right side of the o-line before we go ditching Pro Bowlers on the left. Jones is a swinging gate pass protector and Quess didn't exactly do much more than play a bit better than a 6th round rookie might have been expected to. We have made the mistake before of confusing a practice and OTA overachiever with an NFL starter (see Derek Newton). As far as I'm concerned, we've reached the point where we need to retain the vets and use our picks to add unique talent rather than just replace parts that are already working. I don't think 2014 should present the cap challenges of the past 2 seasons.

I agree with LJC, I wanted Kiko Alonso as our starting ILB as well. I think he'd become a 3 down ILB as he's got the size, speed, and athleticism to handle pass coverage.

As for Wade Smith, I think he's gone in FA as well along with OD, Ben Tate, and possibly Antonio Smith (I'd hate losing the Ninja). 32 yoa. isn't old for an O-lineman but he's also got injury issues and we're going to have to find money for Watt, and KJ. I think Quessenberry replaces Wade Smith. Re-signing Antonio to a contract with a much smaller cap hit sure would help this team alot next year. None of Jamison, Crick, or Montgomery are capable of filling Antonio's shoes and it would free up a high draft pick.
canyon1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 names that I am high on as the season goes on is Kyle Van Noy, Trent Murphy.... Murphy is the one I am really high on i mean we can put in at OLB or DE and he is BIG and can do it all.... He is what I call a true football player and can take this defense to its Max potential. If we got him i would move Reed to ILB. Drafting Murphy would help our LB core as a whole unit. Putting a Run Stuffer inside where he belongs and getting a jack of all trades opposite of Mercilus.
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 1 of 46

Jump to: