Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official: Bass to IR / Long signed pg 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they looked pretty darn good for a beat up unit last night.

Me on the sig in MS Paint Razz
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I have zero problem someone wanting more DL. Hell, most of us wanted a DL to be taken. And I missed out on my Gator. So I think I have a right to be just a miffed.

You're not the only one, amigo. You know full well that I, too, was riding that train. The players I coveted in this draft (to remind those who forgot, not you, per se) were Floyd, Jarvis Jones, Warmack, Cooper, and Barrett Jones. Fredbeard was very close behind them, but I made no bones about wanting d-line in this draft. If not in the first, then at some point just to bring in some more depth at talent.

Quote:
The point is, Bass going to IR is not the straw that broke the camels back. In fact, last year we were much worse off in terms of OL. We went through 6 different starting Centers alone. Sadly we have gone through 4 DL before the start of the first game. And it's really frustrating because two people that the organization is supposedly high on (for the future) are Bass and Craw and now we wont get to see either of them in real action this year.

It's annoying.

You're correct. Bass' injury wasn't the straw which broke the camel's back. I felt (and still feel) that the camel's back was broken before the draft arrived, and that the only way to fix it was to bring some new blood in with high and/or mid round draft picks to ensure that we have youth, depth, and talent in an area where age, injuries, and overall depletion have been occurring. And what were we told (read: lied to) by the likes of Jerry and Goof Son? That the d-line wasn't an issue; that we had ample depth, and that it was a position of strength. No one should've believed that nonsense because a simple roster evaluation proved otherwise.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a combination of New York playing from behind, Wilson getting benched, and Dallas dominating the TOP (giving the DL a lot of rest), but the run defense was great. Props to Nick Hayden in particular.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
It was a combination of New York playing from behind, Wilson getting benched, and Dallas dominating the TOP (giving the DL a lot of rest), but the run defense was great. Props to Nick Hayden in particular.

Had 3 sacks and 5 QB hits in the passing game as well. Giants were just able to get the ball out quickly because the secondary really stunk up the joint on some of the drives.

I'm honestly not worried about giving up yards and big plays in the Tampa Two it is going to happen. But you can't let up 30 points almost exclusively through the air.

PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I have zero problem someone wanting more DL. Hell, most of us wanted a DL to be taken. And I missed out on my Gator. So I think I have a right to be just a miffed.

You're not the only one, amigo. You know full well that I, too, was riding that train. The players I coveted in this draft (to remind those who forgot, not you, per se) were Floyd, Jarvis Jones, Warmack, Cooper, and Barrett Jones. Fredbeard was very close behind them, but I made no bones about wanting d-line in this draft. If not in the first, then at some point just to bring in some more depth at talent.

Quote:
The point is, Bass going to IR is not the straw that broke the camels back. In fact, last year we were much worse off in terms of OL. We went through 6 different starting Centers alone. Sadly we have gone through 4 DL before the start of the first game. And it's really frustrating because two people that the organization is supposedly high on (for the future) are Bass and Craw and now we wont get to see either of them in real action this year.

It's annoying.

You're correct. Bass' injury wasn't the straw which broke the camel's back. I felt (and still feel) that the camel's back was broken before the draft arrived, and that the only way to fix it was to bring some new blood in with high and/or mid round draft picks to ensure that we have youth, depth, and talent in an area where age, injuries, and overall depletion have been occurring. And what were we told (read: lied to) by the likes of Jerry and Goof Son? That the d-line wasn't an issue; that we had ample depth, and that it was a position of strength. No one should've believed that nonsense because a simple roster evaluation proved otherwise.

They lied to us?? Is there any chance that Monte and Marinelli said " Hey, I like what we have on our D Line going into the season" ( im just guessing as are all of us on this forum does, no one really knows what going behind closed doors. Just like everyone thought they were idiots for keeping 5 TE's only to trade one ) I dont think anyone forsaw Crawford"s injury. Ratlif should have been good to go and blame can be put to both player and organization for him not being ready. Spencer should be good to go this week I think and he will be ready to help. They address the O line, maybe not to the extent some of you wanted but it did get address.
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really cracks me up that some people are still bishing about the d-line issues. Did you all not watch the game Sunday night? Despite not having 2 starters (Ratliff & Spencer) and 2 key backups (Crawford & Bass) the d-line actually played pretty well. Yes, it would be nice to have more quality depth. Unfortunately, injuries are not something that can be predicted or scheduled. Every team has to deal with those issues. Our team chose to make due with what they had on the roster. When the injuries started piling up, they brought in a few guys off the street. Thus far, it has worked. Will it work all season? No one knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

As for claiming that the team lied to us, that's just asinine. Not a one of us on this site knows what goes on behind the closed doors at Valley Ranch. We can speculate all we want, but we don't actually know who the coaches do or don't like or why. We don't get to watch every rep of practice. We don't know who pays attention in team meetings and who doesn't. We don't know who struggles with the mental aspects of the game and who excels at it. The coaches do. That is why they make the decisions and we watch from our couches/chairs. Believing that you are smarter than everyone else does not make it so. Acting that way does make you look like a jackarse though.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
It really cracks me up that some people are still bishing about the d-line issues. Did you all not watch the game Sunday night? Despite not having 2 starters (Ratliff & Spencer) and 2 key backups (Crawford & Bass) the d-line actually played pretty well. Yes, it would be nice to have more quality depth. Unfortunately, injuries are not something that can be predicted or scheduled. Every team has to deal with those issues. Our team chose to make due with what they had on the roster. When the injuries started piling up, they brought in a few guys off the street. Thus far, it has worked. Will it work all season? No one knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

As for claiming that the team lied to us, that's just asinine. Not a one of us on this site knows what goes on behind the closed doors at Valley Ranch. We can speculate all we want, but we don't actually know who the coaches do or don't like or why. We don't get to watch every rep of practice. We don't know who pays attention in team meetings and who doesn't. We don't know who struggles with the mental aspects of the game and who excels at it. The coaches do. That is why they make the decisions and we watch from our couches/chairs. Believing that you are smarter than everyone else does not make it so. Acting that way does make you look like a jackarse though.

There weren't any practices to watch leading up to the draft, ht. And everyone was talking about how bad Dallas' d-line was. From pundits, former players, analysts, beat writers, to anyone who bothered to watch the games last year. And yet, regardless of that, Jerry said everything was fine. You know better than this. Any rational person knows better than that. When age and injuries are issues, you don't ignore the positions. That doesn't make me a jackarse. It makes me an astute observer with a clue.

Northland wrote:
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
There weren't any practices to watch leading up to the draft, ht. And everyone was talking about how bad Dallas' d-line was..

No, there may not have been practices, but there was film to watch on players like Bass and Crawford and of course our vets. I'm sure that Marinelli and Kiffin saw things they liked which is how/why the front office felt comfortable moving forward with what we had.

After watching the game against the Giants, I think that (and of course, it's still early to say either way) maybe they were right in their evaluation. Should be interesting to see how much better the front four looks once Spencer comes back.

^^^mack
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I watched the Vikings game , Floyd was not impressive one bit and that's a fact.
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Oh, and I watched the Vikings game , Floyd was not impressive one bit and that's a fact.

I can attest to this, was watching cause buddy is a Vikes fan and he did nothing to stand out.

htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:

I can attest to this, was watching cause buddy is a Vikes fan and he did nothing to stand out.

So, y'all are saying that maybe our coaches were right for passing on him? How can that be? Our GM is a lying bafoon, our front office is incompetent and our coaches are imbeciles. Rolling Eyes

Homer Simpson wrote:
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
SHSTE92 wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:

So, y'all are saying that maybe our coaches were right for passing on him? How can that be? Our GM is a lying bafoon, our front office is incompetent and our coaches are imbeciles. Rolling Eyes

While Frederick basically dominated sans one bad snap.

Who was that guy who said he was looking forward to Floyd obliterate Frederick when we play the Vikings?

^^^mack
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
htfryar wrote:
SHSTE92 wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:

So, y'all are saying that maybe our coaches were right for passing on him? How can that be? Our GM is a lying bafoon, our front office is incompetent and our coaches are imbeciles. :roll:

While Frederick basically dominated sans one bad snap.

Who was that guy who said he was looking forward to Floyd obliterate Frederick when we play the Vikings?

I don't know, but I would almost go for my first ever sig bet on that one.

Homer Simpson wrote:
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
SHSTE92 wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:

Yes, because one game matters so much with respect to the career of a rookie. It's that kind of nonsense that ruins a person's argument. Much like those who said that Peter Konz was "a bust" because he didn't immediately start his rookie year.

Northland wrote:
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
There weren't any practices to watch leading up to the draft, ht. And everyone was talking about how bad Dallas' d-line was..

No, there may not have been practices, but there was film to watch on players like Bass and Crawford and of course our vets. I'm sure that Marinelli and Kiffin saw things they liked which is how/why the front office felt comfortable moving forward with what we had.

After watching the game against the Giants, I think that (and of course, it's still early to say either way) maybe they were right in their evaluation. Should be interesting to see how much better the front four looks once Spencer comes back.

Do we have Spencer back this week for sure??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: