Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4 reasons Why Pat White made the team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: 4 reasons Why Pat White made the team Reply with quote

http://www.redskinshogheaven.com/2013-articles/september/four-reasons-why-pat-white-is-on-the-redskins-roster.html

1) Pat White actually improved over training camp and the Redskins thought they had something to develop for the future.

2) Kirk Cousins' best trade value and timing for the Redskins to trade him would come mid-season this year when other teams are struggling with QB play but have a good team otherwise and feel they can add Cousins to help win them games.

3) The Redskins roster is full of non-backups making it very difficult to choose which 7 to rest on game day out of the 53. We don't have many -if any- redundant players to deactivate on game day. On game day teams can only activate 46 players.

Redundant players include:

1. Pat White
2. Evan Royster
3. And either LaRibeus or Gettis
4. And Merling

They needed a true back up to be able to sit every week, so Pat made sense there.

4) They liked both Chase and Pat and wanted to keep them both. They thought no one would put Chase on their 53 man roster but that he would have other practice squad offers. They promised Chase that he would be on the roster after the bye week when they cut players to make room for Jarvis and Rob.

Which # do you think it is?

I said #4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my four reasons (in another thread) for keeping him better than their "conspiracy theories". They are looking too hard for an answer

(moved here) Good for many reasons:

1. THE most important position on the team is without a doubt the strongest, perhaps in the entire League.

2. If he becomes expendable, and another team loses their starter, we may see some trade offers.

3. We have our (weak-armed) Vick-clone to prepare for Philly.

4. Pat played hard. Even if he is somewhat one-dimensional, he got the most of his playing ability by showing gritty effort, and I respect that 100% (and so will his teammates)

So, I'm just saying that right NOW, he makes the team better. After week 4, or when other players start coming back from suspensions, may be hard to keep him..
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
I like my four reasons (in another thread) for keeping him better than their "conspiracy theories". They are looking too hard for an answer

(moved here) Good for many reasons:

1. THE most important position on the team is without a doubt the strongest, perhaps in the entire League.

2. If he becomes expendable, and another team loses their starter, we may see some trade offers.

3. We have our (weak-armed) Vick-clone to prepare for Philly.

4. Pat played hard. Even if he is somewhat one-dimensional, he got the most of his playing ability by showing gritty effort, and I respect that 100% (and so will his teammates)

So, I'm just saying that right NOW, he makes the team better. After week 4, or when other players start coming back from suspensions, may be hard to keep him..
I can't believe they didn't use your #3 in their list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

Well, thanks. It wasn't really an original thought, just pretty obvious. You guys even discussed it in another thread if I'm not mistaken.

But the whole point about Chase wasn't thought about before written. I mean, if they are cutting players to make room for Jarvis and Rob, they would have to cut an additional player to bring back Chase. Already hard enough to trim two, but he wants us to believe there is some secret deal in place with Chase that we are cutting three players and he's coming back, and I'm not buying that...

I think a more likely scenario is perhaps they told Chase that if another team tries to pull him they will do everything they can to keep him (like Compton last year)

I could, however, see us cutting White, Grossman, and say, Gumbs to make some moves but I just don't see telling Chase about that contingency.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Well, thanks. It wasn't really an original thought, just pretty obvious. You guys even discussed it in another thread if I'm not mistaken.

But the whole point about Chase wasn't thought about before written. I mean, if they are cutting players to make room for Jarvis and Rob, they would have to cut an additional player to bring back Chase. Already hard enough to trim two, but he wants us to believe there is some secret deal in place with Chase that we are cutting three players and he's coming back, and I'm not buying that...

I think a more likely scenario is perhaps they told Chase that if another team tries to pull him they will do everything they can to keep him (like Compton last year)

I could, however, see us cutting White, Grossman, and say, Gumbs to make some moves but I just don't see telling Chase about that contingency.
I actually wonder why we are doing a bunch of restructurings...

We restructured Cofield before the Tuesday deadline to save 2.4 million and get under the cap, but supposedly, we were 1.3 million under the cap before that and then we've restructured Bowen and Carriker to save another 1.3 million.

I'm not sure on the exact #s, but I have to think we're 4 to 5 million under the cap.

I wonder what we're saving that cap space for?

Could we be planning a move to add a Free safety like Jarius Byrd who wants out of Buffalo or something?

Who knows, but something is going on.
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

We restructured Cofield before the Tuesday deadline to save 2.4 million and get under the cap, but supposedly, we were 1.3 million under the cap before that and then we've restructured Bowen and Carriker to save another 1.3 million.

I'm not sure on the exact #s, but I have to think we're 4 to 5 million under the cap.

Could we be planning a move to add a Free safety like Jarius Byrd who wants out of Buffalo or something?

Good point. The same thing occurred to me when we re-wrote Carriker's contract.
I mean, why restructure someone who is INJURED at this point when usually these things reflect a long-term commitment to a player, even if it helps up front.

That set an alarm off for me too
Marcus21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I mean, why restructure someone who is INJURED at this point when usually these things reflect a long-term commitment to a player, even if it helps up front.

Sons of washington had a write up on this very subject and it got me thinking.......What do we have to offer the Bills for Byrd other than Cousins. Im sure they will want a high draft pick..which we dont have, or a player in exchange. Im not sure why they would want Cousin because they just drafted EJ Manuel in the first round.
I think something is in the works...Im just not sure its Byrd.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason only White made the team as #4 QB.
#1 and #2 are gimpy ..
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Sons of washington had a write up on this very subject and it got me thinking.......What do we have to offer the Bills for Byrd other than Cousins. Im sure they will want a high draft pick..which we dont have, or a player in exchange. Im not sure why they would want Cousin because they just drafted EJ Manuel in the first round.
I wrote that Wink

Draft picks I'd say or an OLB like Tapp
Marcus21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I wrote that Wink

You are Adam Banig? I would happily give Rob Jackson/Darrel Tapp for Jarious Byrd. I just dont see the Bills giving up a solid young safety for a backup ILB. We dont have any draft picks, so I dont see that happening either.....time will tell
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I wrote that Wink

You are Adam Banig? I would happily give Rob Jackson/Darrel Tapp for Jarious Byrd. I just dont see the Bills giving up a solid young safety for a backup ILB. We dont have any draft picks, so I dont see that happening either.....time will tell
Yep. That be I Laughing

We have all our picks 2-7
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I wrote that Wink

Yep. That be I Laughing

Thats my Point....A. We only have a pick that will be in the 50s. Im pretty sure Buffalo will be able to do beter than that for a young stud FS.
B. that would leave us picking in the late 3rd round. Im not sure thats the way Shanny/Allen are trying to build this team!
Just doesnt make alot of since to me.....Great article BTW. Way to represent!!!!
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I wrote that Wink

Yep. That be I Laughing

Thats my Point....A. We only have a pick that will be in the 50s. Im pretty sure Buffalo will be able to do beter than that for a young stud FS.
B. that would leave us picking in the late 3rd round. Im not sure thats the way Shanny/Allen are trying to build this team!
Just doesnt make alot of since to me.....Great article BTW. Way to represent!!!!
True, I know it's a stretch, I'm just still very concerned about the FS position.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after playing 4 games in preseason, praising Rambo for learning quickly and saying he will be starter, we take Byrd and bench him? Doesn't that sound like discrediting our rookie FS?

Back to Pat White: we kept him because we have 2 QBs with injury problems/concerns and we still have to make two more cuts in a few weeks. And we play the Eagles in Week 1. Very simple.
markrc99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article provides several new reasons why Pat White is on the team, unfortunately the question that many of us want answered still isn't there. Which is, why is the team carrying four QBs? The initial possibility, which isn't new, is that White is on the team because he belongs there. They're confident they can develop him, he's the perfect backup & equally important, he's keen to become Cousins eventual replacement. If I understand the third reason, White is on the team because his skill set is something comparable to that of Robert Griffin? He's a redundant player? He's on the team because he's an easy choice to exclude from the active 46? If my understanding is accurate, that's about as nutty as it gets! These stories often depict these voids in the roster as open slots or free space, as if the team is afforded an opportunity to keep extra players. They're not open slots, they're holes in the defense's depth! Fortunately, the team is very deep at OLB, which perhaps, is how White squeezed onto the roster.

Throughout the offseason the team did nothing at DL, expecting perhaps both Carriker & Jenkins to be there. Given that they were thin, along with White I would expect someone along the DL to be cut when Jenkins returns. It's no more complicated than that. Better utilization to fill those holes have spurred discussion pertaining to DL, ILB & even Minnifield himself. The author says they kept White instead because it was the only way they could keep both. But then acknowledges it's highly unlikely that White will ever be seen in uniform along the sideline. It's also as if he goes on to imply that the team is going to carry four QBs all season long, stating: "Who the Redskins cut during the bye week will speak volumes as to why they put Pat White on the 53." Perhaps it's just the wording as he then describes White as a short-term gamble. However, what is meant by that? †

The only rationale put forth explaining the four is of course reason #2, combined with #1. Even though a trade involving Kirk Cousins is the only explanation provided, the author deems it as the least likely explanation for White's presence. This is despite acknowledging that Cousins' trade value is likely to peak before the trade deadline. For me, it's important to consider that this development is on the heels of Griffin not knowing why he didn't play throughout the entire preseason. He was told something that he didn't quite understand but accepted. Interestingly, when Griffin was recently named the starter v Philly, comments from Dr. Andrews (either quoted or implied) suggested that Shanahan was lying about any lingering matter unresolved or undetermined. Regardless of the reasoning we can all agree that the circumstance was quite fortuitous for Cousins, as he was then able to better demonstrate his abilities, until he sprained an ankle. People's perception might be quite different had he gotten those remaining games to impress all the more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: