Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Your Least favorite player on the Lions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
I know you found all the quotes that attacked Levy, but you ignored the ones that came to his defense. You're way more of an expert than I am at digging up quotes, how about all the quotes concerning Levy from last weekends game day thread?

Of course there was some praise after two strong weeks. Those comments were from the preseason, when it's - for some reason - difficult for posters to form their own opinions.

Team Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny we got a couple posters who hate everyone one and some that hate none Laughing
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
Funny we got a couple posters who hate everyone one and some that hate none Laughing

Eh, there are players I hate... I just refuse to overreact based on one or two games. I already said after week 1 that Pettigrew should be used as a blocker and either Scheffler or Fauria as pass-catchers for the time being. That's a completely reasonable way of looking at things: Pettigrew is struggling to make contact catches, so throw those elsewhere. He still provides blocking, and this scheme calls for a blocking TE... it would be foolish to release or bench him and watch the pass-catching TEs get demolished trying to block.

I try to avoid exaggerations when talking about players, which is why I defended Levy when someone said he "sucks", and argued for years on behalf of Gosder. Fans overreact.

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:

Eh, there are players I hate... I just refuse to overreact based on one or two games. I already said after week 1 that Pettigrew should be used as a blocker and either Scheffler or Fauria as pass-catchers for the time being. That's a completely reasonable way of looking at things: Pettigrew is struggling to make contact catches, so throw those elsewhere. He still provides blocking, and this scheme calls for a blocking TE... it would be foolish to release or bench him and watch the pass-catching TEs get demolished trying to block.

I try to avoid exaggerations when talking about players, which is why I defended Levy when someone said he "sucks", and argued for years on behalf of Gosder. Fans overreact.
You mean like this over reaction/exaggeration?
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Fauria? He isn't a blocker. At all. Putting him in the game to block simply because he had 3 catches and 1 TD week one wouldn't make sense in any sort of way.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:

I understand but you seem to take it to heart. Why waste your time defending him when you know how they will be. I don't think your gonna change their minds and pages and pages and pages.... I'm curios who you don't like since that's what the threads I think about
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:

I understand but you seem to take it to heart. Why waste your time defending him when you know how they will be. I don't think your gonna change their minds and pages and pages and pages.... I'm curios who you don't like since that's what the threads I think about

Eh, I'm here to discuss football. If I read exaggerations, I'll point out my perspective.

As for who I "don't like": I have a realistic view of players, so I don't end up hating anyone. I don't think Dom is incredible, so I'm not angered when he surrenders pressure. I don't think Pettigrew is a reliable pass-catcher, so I'm not screaming for him to be cut when he drops a pass. My viewpoint can be explained in a Madden sort of way: if I try to truck someone with a RB who has 54 trucking, I wont get mad if he fails. If I try to throw to a WR with 62 catching, and he drops the pass, I wont flip out. That's also how coaches view players: they understand the capabilities of the players they've closely observed for months/years, so they set realistic expectations for their performances.

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:

Eh, I'm here to discuss football. If I read exaggerations, I'll point out my perspective.

As for who I "don't like": I have a realistic view of players, so I don't end up hating anyone. I don't think Dom is incredible, so I'm not angered when he surrenders pressure. I don't think Pettigrew is a reliable pass-catcher, so I'm not screaming for him to be cut when he drops a pass. My viewpoint can be explained in a Madden sort of way: if I try to truck someone with a RB who has 54 trucking, I wont get mad if he fails. If I try to throw to a WR with 62 catching, and he drops the pass, I wont flip out. That's also how coaches view players: they understand the capabilities of the players they've closely observed for months/years, so they set realistic expectations for their performances.
Sounds like a losers mentality to me.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:

In Madden, if you have a receiver with 54 catching, wouldn't you replace him with one with a higher rating?

Team Stylish

Thanks to Smack for the sig!
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:

In Madden, if you have a receiver with 54 catching, wouldn't you replace him with one with a higher rating?

Not if that player provided other benefits. Example: 98 speed/agility/acceleration with 90 release. Yeah, I'll absolutely throw him the ball 4-5 times per game and see if I can't get a big play.

stylish313 wrote:
Sounds like a losers mentality to me.

Ha. What? Setting realistic expectations is a "losers mentality"? I guess, by expecting Pettigrew to be some explosive receiving TE, you guys have a "winners mentality". Good job, winners. I'll stick to being right.

Team Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:

Not if that player provided other benefits. Example: 98 speed/agility/acceleration with 90 release. Yeah, I'll absolutely throw him the ball 4-5 times per game and see if I can't get a big play.

What if he was slow, with an agility rating in the single digits, was a pedestrian blocker, fumbled the ball a lot, and had a tendency to be called for penalties at the worst possible times?

Team Stylish

TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
What if he was slow, with an agility rating in the single digits, was a pedestrian blocker, fumbled the ball a lot, and had a tendency to be called for penalties at the worst possible times?

In this instance, and considering I'm looking for a player who blocks first and foremost, I'd certainly replace him with a tall, slightly faster pass-catcher, who is an even worse blocker, who has an injury history and a one game professional sample size. Why? Because that's what "winners" do.

Right winners?

Team Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:

In this instance, and considering I'm looking for a player who blocks first and foremost, I'd certainly replace him with a tall, slightly faster pass-catcher, who is an even worse blocker, who has an injury history and a one game professional sample size. Why? Because that's what "winners" do.

Right winners?

You're trying to pass the Lions off as winners? That's a bit of an exaggeration. Laughing

You keep saying grew is a better blocker as if it is proven, when the only thing we know for certain is that when Fauria was given the opportunity, he blocked better than Grew did, but it was against lesser competition.

I'll take a one game sample size that shows a ton of promise over a four year sample size that showed three years of a little promise and a lot of mistakes and another year of pretty much nothing but disappointment.

Team Stylish

TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:

Right winners?

You're trying to pass the Lions off as winners? That's a bit of an exaggeration. Laughing

You keep saying grew is a better blocker as if it is proven, when the only thing we know for certain is that when Fauria was given the opportunity, he blocked better than Grew did, but it was against lesser competition.

I'll take a one game sample size that shows a ton of promise over a four year sample size that showed three years of a little promise and a lot of mistakes and another year of pretty much nothing but disappointment.

Lions off as winners? No. Fans that refuse to set realistic expectations? Yes.

Fauria has shown a ton of promise as a blocker?! What?! Oh my.

I think we need to agree to disagree on this. Once you assert that Fauria has shown a "ton" of promise based on what you admitted to being an irrelevant game against lesser competition, you've certainly taken your stand.

Team Stylish
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:

Right winners?

Lions off as winners? No. Fans that refuse to set realistic expectations? Yes.

Fauria has shown a ton of promise as a blocker?! What?! Oh my.

I think we need to agree to disagree on this. Once you assert that Fauria has shown a "ton" of promise based on what you admitted to being an irrelevant game against lesser competition, you've certainly taken your stand.

Fauria needs more playing time over Pettigrew..but its not going to happen because the coaching staff is to stubborn
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
Fauria needs more playing time over Pettigrew..but its not going to happen because the coaching staff is to stubborn

In passing situations? Absolutely.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: