Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The (so called) experts have picked, but what do you think?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abe56

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Abe56 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Abe56 wrote:
The last time people talked about us like this was 2006...

Hopefully we can have a similar season (with more playoff success)

Just checked. ESPN had us ranked 31st before the 2006 season.

I remember that year Tony Kornheiser was on MNF, I don't remember who we were playing, but he literally went on for about 3 hours about how this is the least talented team in the league, I have no idea who any of these guys are, how are they winning etc etc. It was one of the most embarrassing displays of broadcasting i've seen, and was probably a big reason he was fired. Even if you don't who most the players were, it's kind of your job to research it and not come off like an uninformed jerkoff.

He was taken off MNF two years later due to his fear of flying.

To be fair, outside of the rookies, Chad Pennington, Jerricho Cotchery, Laveranues Coles, Jonathan Vilma, and Kerry Rhodes, that was a team filled with a bunch of nobodies.

He wasn't fired for fear of flying, that's just a bs excuse ESPN used not to embarrass one of their network guys. He was fired because he was terrible.

And yeah I know the 06 team wasn't talented, but to go on and on about nonstop was unprofessional. It's your job as an analyst to inform the fans, not to come off as a uninformed fan.

I remember Aaron Rodgers ripped him apart in the press also, that did him no favors.

Rant Over.

But to get back to the original point, The Jets are getting more ripped apart now than that team was, and this one is way more talented, so I hope they can shock the world again.

34 Tackles, 4 Sacks, 12 QB Hits, 6 Stuffs, 3 PD

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
green24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention, Eric Mangini is not one-tenth the coach that Rex Ryan is.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:

Relax with that. Mangini was a much better drafter and never created any drama. Rex is a terrific DC but hes as brain-dead of an in game decision maker as they come. So i completely disagree with this statement.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:

Relax with that. Mangini was a much better drafter and never created any drama. Rex is a terrific DC but hes as brain-dead of an in game decision maker as they come. So i completely disagree with this statement.

Mangini was in so over his head, it was easy pickens for the shark-tank of snarky twats who somehow have jobs covering an NFL team . Being the head coach of the Jets is inherently drama filled, whether it would be Chuck Knoll, or Buddy Ryan himself in charge of this team.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:

I'm not talking about drafting. I'm talking about purely as a coach, game manager, and motivator. Rex can get the most out of his players, Mangini cannot. The Jets have outperformed their talent level each year that Rex has been here. Outside of 2006, I think every single Mangini-led team (with both the Jets and Browns) has underperformed.
Abe56

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With basically the same roster

Mangini - Couldn't make the playoffs with Brett Favre

Rex - Made the AFC Championship with a rookie Mark Sanchez

Case closed.

34 Tackles, 4 Sacks, 12 QB Hits, 6 Stuffs, 3 PD

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe56 wrote:
With basically the same roster

Mangini - Couldn't make the playoffs with Brett Favre

Rex - Made the AFC Championship with a rookie Mark Sanchez

Case closed.

To be fair we were 8-3 before Favre got hurt so Mangini was on pace for us to have a really good year.
Davey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you want about Mangini but he was actually a visionary. He had a vision of how he wanted to build the team, how he wanted the team to be run from top to bottom, and the type of players he wanted to bring in. He was getting there too. He and Tannenbaum had a great relationship and worked well together. Rex Ryan has nothing on that - he's been brilliant with Xs and Os, but shunned a methodical team building approach for "hey, get me this guy! HELLUVA PLAYER" and Tannenbaum didn't have the spine to keep him in check.

Rex Ryan is a defensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach until he can prove himself otherwise. And that is not something we should be settling for.
perikirest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
Say what you want about Mangini but he was actually a visionary. He had a vision of how he wanted to build the team, how he wanted the team to be run from top to bottom, and the type of players he wanted to bring in. He was getting there too. He and Tannenbaum had a great relationship and worked well together. Rex Ryan has nothing on that - he's been brilliant with Xs and Os, but shunned a methodical team building approach for "hey, get me this guy! HELLUVA PLAYER" and Tannenbaum didn't have the spine to keep him in check.

Rex Ryan is a defensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach until he can prove himself otherwise. And that is not something we should be settling for.

And in saying that there arent 10 (maybe even 5) head coaches id prefer over him in this league.

AAJ Mark Sanchez
1 Torn Labrum
doumeyer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: ESPN experts Reply with quote

Except for a few guys at ESPN, most of those guys are a bunch of clowns. Mike & Mike are good & a few others also. But for the most part most of them are horrible.
Rich51

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
In my opinion, it's almost impossible to be the absolute worst team in the league when you have a top 10 D.

I agree with this. Last year with Wilson in for Revis, a slow Harris as our only decent LB,and no viable replacement for Poula, we still finished 8th in D. The lack of an offense and 37 turnovers really sealed our fate (although we did win more games tha the other 3 teams with 37 TO - KC, JAx and Phil)
Bianconero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with who said that there are five coaches I'd rather have over Rex and that's it.

I can't wait until he's fired and we don't get back to the AFCCG for another fifteen years.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:

I actually think he's come along way in that department.
jg6041

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:
I agree with who said that there are five coaches I'd rather have over Rex and that's it.

I can't wait until he's fired and we don't get back to the AFCCG for another fifteen years.

Easy there Nostradamus do not go spewing those words out to the universe.
The best coached game by Rex was the NE playoff game. Indeed I credit him with that win.
However he needed to take more control in the Pitts. game and we may have been in the SB.
For whatever reason he and Woody decided to keep him on and gutted his staff.
It is an odd move, however it is clear Rex leaves the offensive philosophy to his coordinators. "Ground and pound" now he says we will be "attacking".
He is here at least this season so lets see what happens.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
kilahchris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:

Rex Ryan is 10x the coach eric mangini was. Better in game manager, better at handling the defense. Rex struggles with offense because of the poor play of Mark Sanchez and tannenbaum's foolish idea of bringing in Tony Sparano to run his gimmick bs plays.

Eric Mangini did not last any time with the Cleveland Browns either. Eric Mangini could never take a 9-7 team to the superbowl, even with Brett Farve.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: