Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The (so called) experts have picked, but what do you think?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neauone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: The (so called) experts have picked, but what do you think? Reply with quote

Well once again all the so called experts have regulated the Jets to lottery status, and our beloved ESPN has the Jets rated as the ABSOLUTE worse team in all of the NFL.
Obviously as a Jet fan I have heard it all, from circus, to laughing stock and an inept and dysfunctional franchise.
But I am ever the optimist and like the fact that not any of the " know it all elites" give this team a chance.
Personally I believe the Jets have a very good chance of winning 8 game, IF ONLY BECAUSE of the defense.
What if Geno Smith has a good year, not an outstanding year, or exceptional year, but a good year.
Is he incapable of doing that? Obviously he has the talent.
Holmes it has been reported sat out the preseason because of his dislike for training camp, and is ready to play.
Throw into the mix that Hill has had a good camp, Kearly, Winslow, Gates and Spanola can make the Jets better than anyone expects at the receiver position.
Now if Ivory can stay healthy and Powell can continue his good camp is 8 wins out of question?
Lastly I will even go so far as to believe that the Jets will even make a run at the playoffs.
N.E. is s shell of its former greatness, Buffalo hasn't shown me a thing and Miami has cashed in all its chips and is praying that Tannenhill can become special.
None of those teams, NONE have a defense anywhere near what the Jets have.
I believe the Jets are much better than the record they amassed over the past few years and the greatest and most glaring weakness they addressed in the off season in fixing the OL.
Bring in the season!
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, it's almost impossible to be the absolute worst team in the league when you have a top 10 D.

Props to JMG on the sig
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all going to be about how the team gels together. Honestly, this team kind of reminds me of the 09 team. I don't think they'll be quite as successful, but I do think they'll surprise a lot of people. I think there's going to be an improvement in record. Nothing crazy, but I think 7-9 wins are within reach. So long as Geno avoids those self-imploding mistakes Sanchez made last year, we should be better.

Don't forget, until that Tennessee game, we were alive in the Wildcard hunt. Even after all the imploding you can imagine, the Jets were still alive. That fact gets lost, and perhaps rightfully so, but if they just play more sound football, they'll win more games. Honestly, we shouldn't have lost to Tennessee, San Diego, or Buffalo at the end. That would have made the Jets, the worst team ever, 9-7. We even went to OT with the Patriots, and honestly, should have won that game too.

The Jets were bad last year, but they weren't lucky to be 6-10, they were actually probably more unlucky. I'm not saying the Jets won't be worse, but I'm saying I think they'll get an extra game or two this year they didn't last year.[/i]
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really care to be honest. Go back to 09 and see what "experts" thought of us, and compare it to what actually happened.

I'm still concerned about our secondary this year, but I think the total defense will be fine. I'm hoping for a new 3 headed monster with Ivory, Green, and Powell on offense. Pray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
Don't really care to be honest. Go back to 09 and see what "experts" thought of us, and compare it to what actually happened.

I'm still concerned about our secondary this year, but I think the total defense will be fine. I'm hoping for a new 3 headed monster with Ivory, Green, and Powell on offense. Pray

Go back to 2011 and see what the "experts" thought of the Cincinnati Bengals
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/rankings/_/name/cin/year/2011/cincinnati-bengals

I'm not overly concerned what power rankings say right now, just go out and handle what we can control. If Geno Smith has a solid season (a la Andy Dalton in 2011) our team will not be that bad. The difference between Dalton and Smith was the AJ Green factor, but I believe that our current D is on par with the Bengals 2011 D (possibly better) and we have more balance then Cinci did in 2011 (I'm talking outside AJ Green).

It all comes down to offensive efficiency and defense. If we're efficient on offense and play good defense, we'll be a 7-to-9 win football team.

New York Sack Exchange Redux
jg6041

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

I'm not overly concerned what power rankings say right now, just go out and handle what we can control. If Geno Smith has a solid season (a la Andy Dalton in 2011) our team will not be that bad. The difference between Dalton and Smith was the AJ Green factor, but I believe that our current D is on par with the Bengals 2011 D (possibly better) and we have more balance then Cinci did in 2011 (I'm talking outside AJ Green).

It all comes down to offensive efficiency and defense. If we're efficient on offense and play good defense, we'll be a 7-to-9 win football team.

The 09 Jets two teams laid down the final two weeks against us.

2011 Bengals played bad teams Cleveland twice, 2 win Indy, Seattle, Jacksonville. I believe they beat one team with a winning record that season.

This year 6 wins sounds right. More than that it will be a successful year.

We were not in the Playoff hunt last year after the loss to Seattle. We already had 4 conference losses. 10 wins would not have gotten us in. Not that it was even remotely a possibility.
To make the argument we should have won more than 6 games, you have to say at least 2 of the 6 wins, Miami, Arizona-Worst win I think I have ever watched, and perhaps even Jacksonville could all have been loses.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg6041 wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

And that's our fault? we still went into the playoffs and beat everyone that we weren't suppose to beat. Came 30minutes away from a superbowl appearance. * Thinks about the lito Sheppard play* Mad

My point is that we had a new coach & rookie QB . The expectations were very low. No one knew how good our defense was going to be that year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg6041 wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

2011 Bengals played bad teams Cleveland twice, 2 win Indy, Seattle, Jacksonville. I believe they beat one team with a winning record that season.

This year 6 wins sounds right. More than that it will be a successful year.

We were not in the Playoff hunt last year after the loss to Seattle. We already had 4 conference losses. 10 wins would not have gotten us in. Not that it was even remotely a possibility.
To make the argument we should have won more than 6 games, you have to say at least 2 of the 6 wins, Miami, Arizona-Worst win I think I have ever watched, and perhaps even Jacksonville could all have been loses.

Then the first loss to New England and the game against Houston could have been wins.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
jg6041

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
jg6041 wrote:

Then the first loss to New England and the game against Houston could have been wins.

Exactly. To quote Parcells "You are what your record says you are." They were a 6 win team last year. Hard to expect more than that this year.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
green24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teams recently ranked 32nd by ESPN...

2012: Colts - final record: 11-5*
2011: Bengals - final record: 9-7*
2010: Rams - final record: 7-9
2009: Lions - final record: 2-14
2008: Falcons - final record: 11-5*

A combined record of 40-40. That total is skewed by the Lions, who were the easy choice following an 0-16 season. Three of these teams made the playoffs, including the Falcons who won the NFC South. Just like the 2013 Jets, all five of these teams started a rookie QB.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
jg6041

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
The teams recently ranked 32nd by ESPN...

2012: Colts - final record: 11-5*
2011: Bengals - final record: 9-7*
2010: Rams - final record: 7-9
2009: Lions - final record: 2-14
2008: Falcons - final record: 11-5*

A combined record of 40-40. That total is skewed by the Lions, who were the easy choice following an 0-16 season. Three of these teams made the playoffs, including the Falcons who won the NFC South. Just like the 2013 Jets, all five of these teams started a rookie QB.

Wow that is crazy!! There is money to be made here. Wink
Certainly pipes me down about the rookie QB thing. Stupid facts always ruin my debates. Embarassed

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
Abe56

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time people talked about us like this was 2006...

Hopefully we can have a similar season (with more playoff success)

64 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks, 6 STF, 2 FF, 1 INT, 3 PD

2nd Team All Pro

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
green24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe56 wrote:

Just checked. ESPN had us ranked 31st before the 2006 season.

aceinthehouse wrote:
Call it a hunch. Idea
Abe56

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Abe56 wrote:

I remember that year Tony Kornheiser was on MNF, I don't remember who we were playing, but he literally went on for about 3 hours about how this is the least talented team in the league, I have no idea who any of these guys are, how are they winning etc etc. It was one of the most embarrassing displays of broadcasting i've seen, and was probably a big reason he was fired. Even if you don't who most the players were, it's kind of your job to research it and not come off like an uninformed jerkoff.

64 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks, 6 STF, 2 FF, 1 INT, 3 PD

2nd Team All Pro

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
green24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe56 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Abe56 wrote:

I remember that year Tony Kornheiser was on MNF, I don't remember who we were playing, but he literally went on for about 3 hours about how this is the least talented team in the league, I have no idea who any of these guys are, how are they winning etc etc. It was one of the most embarrassing displays of broadcasting i've seen, and was probably a big reason he was fired. Even if you don't who most the players were, it's kind of your job to research it and not come off like an uninformed jerkoff.

He was taken off MNF two years later due to his fear of flying.

To be fair, outside of the rookies, Chad Pennington, Jerricho Cotchery, Laveranues Coles, Jonathan Vilma, and Kerry Rhodes, that was a team filled with a bunch of nobodies.

aceinthehouse wrote:
Call it a hunch. Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: