Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aldon Smith, D. Walker allegedly fired weapon towards people
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
I posted this in the News thread:

Here's one of the original stories, dating back to July of 2012: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8117350/san-francisco-49ers-aldon-smith-suffers-minor-injuries-stab-wounds-reports-say\

Quote:
Quote:

"It was a chaotic scene," Cardoza said. "There was a lot of commotion, and no one knows where the gunshots came from."

A case of not having asked the gunshot victims yet?

A case of targeting someone with enough money to actually pay out in a civil case?

I don't know. If I got shot by someone, I'd press charges. If I just wanted to get paid, I'd have my lawyer contact their lawyer and work out a settlement. And, any high profile person would pay that settlement in a heartbeat. A civil lawsuit makes no sense to me.

I'd think the shooting victims were interviewed by police. And had he said something then charges would have been filed automatically based on the illegal handgun possession part of his story.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seams alot like the Crabtree situation last season. I hope Aldon stays focused and uses it to drive him.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like they're just trying to get some money. Like others have said, if this were true we would've found something out a long time ago.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Ataal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Here's one of the original stories, dating back to July of 2012: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8117350/san-francisco-49ers-aldon-smith-suffers-minor-injuries-stab-wounds-reports-say\

Quote:
Quote:

"It was a chaotic scene," Cardoza said. "There was a lot of commotion, and no one knows where the gunshots came from."

A case of targeting someone with enough money to actually pay out in a civil case?

I don't know. If I got shot by someone, I'd press charges. If I just wanted to get paid, I'd have my lawyer contact their lawyer and work out a settlement. And, any high profile person would pay that settlement in a heartbeat. A civil lawsuit makes no sense to me.

I'd think the shooting victims were interviewed by police. And had he said something then charges would have been filed automatically based on the illegal handgun possession part of his story.

See, that's an interesting piece to this whole story. The police had more than enough cause for a warrant to obtain those weapons and determine whether or not they were registered to anyone at that party. Perhaps, when the cops showed up, the guns had been stashed and they couldn't find them. Who knows.

I just find it odd that it took a year to figure out who fired the guns, not that it took a year to file the complaint. That's actually pretty common. Civil lawsuits are based on damages. Something you may or may not owe in the future is very hard to calculate as damage. Having a bill in your hands is not.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy or cover up, but something just doesn't add up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

See, that's an interesting piece to this whole story. The police had more than enough cause for a warrant to obtain those weapons and determine whether or not they were registered to anyone at that party. Perhaps, when the cops showed up, the guns had been stashed and they couldn't find them. Who knows.

I just find it odd that it took a year to figure out who fired the guns, not that it took a year to file the complaint. That's actually pretty common. Civil lawsuits are based on damages. Something you may or may not owe in the future is very hard to calculate as damage. Having a bill in your hands is not.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy or cover up, but something just doesn't add up.

Aldon and Delanie being named was probably because no one really knew who fired any shots and they are the most likely source of money awarded in the suit.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
Ataal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
Ataal wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Aldon and Delanie being named was probably because no one really knew who fired any shots and they are the most likely source of money awarded in the suit.

That very well could be true. I suppose, it could also be argued that since this is a civil lawsuit, that they are responsible for the injuries, not necessarily because either one of them pulled a trigger. Although, the story says Walker pulled the trigger, this would be a legitimate case in a civil lawsuit. Much like the O.J. Simpson case. Merely by hosting the party and/or bringing the weapons, a case can be made that they are responsible.

Still, this could have been settled out of court and I'm willing to bet that both Smith and Walker would pay out to mitigate the press exposure and possible ramifications by the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update and it doesn't look good: http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_24015642/

Quote:
SAN JOSE -- Only days before the start of the NFL season, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office is leaning toward prosecuting San Francisco 49ers star linebacker Aldon Smith on charges of possessing illegal assault rifles -- charges that carry a range of possible punishments, from probation to three years in jail

Quote:
Smith bought the weapons in Arizona where they are legal, but allegedly failed to modify them to comply with California's stricter gun laws, sources familiar with the case said. The three guns were discovered by Santa Clara County sheriff's deputies after a house party hosted by Smith and his roommate last summer, during which the linebacker was stabbed and two partygoers were shot by gang members who crashed the party.

Quote:
Ballistics tests indicate that Esporlas and another man were not shot by Walker or Smith. Deputies have yet to identify the shooters in the ongoing investigation. But alleged gang member Steven Barda, 27, is in custody on charges of stabbing Smith, who sustained only minor wounds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemonier FTW?

Shocked

___
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to heavily doubt Aldon misses any time...unless he's suspended by the NFL, but that seems like they would have done that last year.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
neezy007

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Aldon never misses a down.

I'm also not going to go out on a limb and say California is such a weak sauce state.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
I'm going to heavily doubt Aldon misses any time...unless he's suspended by the NFL, but that seems like they would have done that last year.

Yeah, he won't miss any time this season, but could next year depending on what comes out of this.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

Yeah, he won't miss any time this season, but could next year depending on what comes out of this.

I'm going to again heavily doubt Aldon misses any time, this year or any other.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Aldon will get away with it on a technicality and/or a legal precedent. It's plausible to think he wasn't aware his weapons didn't comply with the state laws, when they were legal in another state.

Now my question is (remember, I'm canadian): What's the fascination with guns, guys? I never felt the urge to start a collection. I can understand the thrill of shooting, and I'd enjoy going to a shooting range and basically renting guns to shoot them in a safe environment. But it would never occur to me to keep one or more gun at home, or to think it's cool to have one. Is it overcompensation? I'm just wondering... I mean, my brother has a rifle and a crossbow, but that's for hunting. Aldon doesn't seem the hunter type. If someone told me Justin Smith owns guns, I'd say "Sure. The guy probably gets up at 5 in the morning, goes into the woods, shoots a deer and goes home with it on his shoulders." Outside of that, I just don't get it.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if I made millions of dollars, you could be sure I'd stay away from anything remotely illegal, that could compromise my future incomes... these guys are idiots.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

I'm going to again heavily doubt Aldon misses any time, this year or any other.

Hopefully, but to your original post, Smith wasn't prosecuted last year. I'm sure the league didn't have all the details at the time, but will soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: