Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 1: GDT Miami Dolphins vs. Cleveland Browns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:

J martin carried over his preseason success to the regular season for week 1 at least.

I know lamar miller did not get any blocking whatsoever and maybe I am being to critical but I thought he ran SOFT. Square a defender up and put your body into his chest one time.

You sir, are high. Jonathan Martin had a bad game. Was it the worst of his career? No way. But it was in fact, bad. I've charted every snap of the first half and he got beat for a sack once, had at least 5 snaps with blocking help (down from last years count so far) and was a liabilty in the running game, big time.

You can't blame Miller for this game. He may or may not suck, or be soft, but with the crappy "blocking" he got upfront made it impossible.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to go back over the film, but I'm not sure any lineman had a good game. Martin wasn't a disaster, but he wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination.

In extremely unsurprising news, two of the three top PFF grades for the game are Wake (7.8 ) and Soliai (2.9). The other was Desmond Bryant.

Last edited by Warpticon on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

J martin carried over his preseason success to the regular season for week 1 at least.

I know lamar miller did not get any blocking whatsoever and maybe I am being to critical but I thought he ran SOFT. Square a defender up and put your body into his chest one time.

You sir, are high. Jonathan Martin had a bad game. Was it the worst of his career? No way. But it was in fact, bad. I've charted every snap of the first half and he got beat for a sack once, had at least 5 snaps with blocking help (down from last years count so far) and was a liabilty in the running game, big time.

You can't blame Miller for this game. He may or may not suck, or be soft, but with the crappy "blocking" he got upfront made it impossible.

The whole line played poorly....Johnathan Martin may not of had a good game, but it wasn't "bad" either....there does need to be improvement all around with the guys upfront.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly Martin, Incognito, Jerry, and Clabo all got beat for a sack. When I re-watch the game I'll pay closer attention.

The defense kept us in the game and Tannehill put the offense on his back (doe). Had more than a couple bad throws (the pick, the underthrow to Wallace, the overthrow to Wallace that was nearly intercepted) but overall was very good.

When are we allowed to call Hartline's route-running and sideline body control "elite"? Tannehill was the commander but Hartline had a better game IMO.

Special teams lived up to expectations, kickoff coverage was good, punt coverage okay.

The OL needs to bounce back next week against a sub-par front 7.

Oh Man we are so Miami Dolphin!
Mercury22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

The whole line played poorly....Johnathan Martin may not of had a good game, but it wasn't "bad" either....there does need to be improvement all around with the guys upfront.

It was bad. He gave up 2 sacks, 1 QB hit and 3 pressures. Thats awful. Project that out over a season, and he is at the bottom of the NFL for sure. Beyond that he was even worse in the running game from what I've seen/charted so far. You can't sugar coat a turd, man. He had a bad game. Again, its not the worst of his career, but considering much of the first half he found his assignment to be ROLB Jabaal Sheard and only occasionally RDE Desmond Bryant, I think there is reason for concern. I'll be watching the 2nd half more closely tonight, but you simply can't say he had an "okay" game. He didn't. He had a subpar, poor game. There is plenty of time to improve, but the positive preseason performances has not/did not transfer over to game 1.
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have been cancelled off by a facemask but I'm pretty sure Jordan beat Joe Thomas for a sack in his limited playing time.

^ Jamison on the sig.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdolfan wrote:
It might have been cancelled off by a facemask but I'm pretty sure Jordan beat Joe Thomas for a sack in his limited playing time.

He did beat him and it was a sack. Yes, there was a penalty, but Jordan was also credited with his first sack. I think he is the real deal. Once he is back at full strength, I think he could be a real force.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

It was bad. He gave up 2 sacks, 1 QB hit and 3 pressures. Thats awful. Project that out over a season, and he is at the bottom of the NFL for sure. Beyond that he was even worse in the running game from what I've seen/charted so far. You can't sugar coat a turd, man. He had a bad game. Again, its not the worst of his career, but considering much of the first half he found his assignment to be ROLB Jabaal Sheard and only occasionally RDE Desmond Bryant, I think there is reason for concern. I'll be watching the 2nd half more closely tonight, but you simply can't say he had an "okay" game. He didn't. He had a subpar, poor game. There is plenty of time to improve, but the positive preseason performances has not/did not transfer over to game 1.

I'm with Merc on this one that his game was poor. It was below average. But I think Merc deserves to give Sheard a little bit more credit. I think he's an extremely underrated football player and now that they have him in a more natural position of standing up, he should vastly improve.

Desmond Bryant was rated at the 6th best DT in all of football last year. He scored a PFF metric of +16.8 on rush defense. To take a 4-3 DT and put him further outside, it doesn't surprise me that Martin struggled with the strength and power of a 3-4 end. His anchor in the preseason looked better against the typical 260-270 lb rushers but putting him against a player used to anchoring on the interior, Martin is going to get his lunch eaten. And he did.

So yes, Martin played a below average game. It wasn't good. But the players he matched up with weren't exactly scrubs!

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Warpticon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, agree that it was a bad game, disagree on the notion it at it was justSheard.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

I'm with Merc on this one that his game was poor. It was below average. But I think Merc deserves to give Sheard a little bit more credit. I think he's an extremely underrated football player and now that they have him in a more natural position of standing up, he should vastly improve.

Desmond Bryant was rated at the 6th best DT in all of football last year. He scored a PFF metric of +16.8 on rush defense. To take a 4-3 DT and put him further outside, it doesn't surprise me that Martin struggled with the strength and power of a 3-4 end. His anchor in the preseason looked better against the typical 260-270 lb rushers but putting him against a player used to anchoring on the interior, Martin is going to get his lunch eaten. And he did.

So yes, Martin played a below average game. It wasn't good. But the players he matched up with weren't exactly scrubs!

You are right, PD, Desmond Bryant is an extremely underrated player, as is Phil Taylor and Paul Kruger. Cleveland is not a bad team and their front 7 are pretty good. However, from what I saw in the first half, Martin got a lot of his snaps on Sheard, while Bryant played off Martin's inside shoulder and went to Incognito. Pouncey took on Taylor with some help from Jerry. Point being, Martin got one of the easier assignments in the bunch, and he even got help. Something we did VERY little of last year when Long, who struggled, but he took most assignments totally by himself. In other words, Martin is still getting help, had a "relatively" easy assignment frequently in Sheard and yet he still had a subpar game.

Its one stupid game, so no reason to panic yet. I still believe I saw improvement from Martin in the preseason, and even though he played mostly against back up in preseason, I saw more decisiveness and he seemed to handle the bull rush better this year.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overthrow to Wallace wasn't really Tanny's fault. Wallace got tripped up right as Tanny was throwing it. And event he INT wasn't a terrible throw. The defender on the other side made a fantastic play to lay out and just barely get his hand on it, which deflected it away from our receiver (Who was otherwise wide open) and into the hands of another defender. Had Tanny thrown it just a few inches higher it would have been a huge gain for Miami and we would all be singing his praises.

And I have been pretty critical of Tanny in the past too. But he was better than usual yesterday. He made a few really good throws, and his bad ones were not off by much. Hope to see that trend continue. Especially the great 4th quarter!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
Yeah, agree that it was a bad game, disagree on the notion it at it was justSheard.

I didn't say it was just Sheard. I said "much" of the time he was going against Sheard. He also went against Bryant. I also have an entire 2nd half to account for and break down.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next question:

Do we have the athleticism up front to run the ball without a fullback? Seemed like a lot of reach blocks and attempts where we were just letting defenders disengage and slide off because the feet weren't there.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Warpticon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

I didn't say it was just Sheard. I said "much" of the time he was going against Sheard. He also went against Bryant. I also have an entire 2nd half to account for and break down.

I don't mean "just Sheard" as in he blocked him exclusively. I mean "just Sheard" in the "he wasn't even getting beat by Bryant the whole time, it was just Sheard mostly" sense, as though Sheard isn't pretty damn good himself.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

If we are projection things over the season we should expect Wake to have 35 plus sacks and the team to reach 100 yards rushing after 300 plus carries....we know neither will happen...

I already said it wasn't good and he was beat, but he wasn't embarrassed and tossed around as he was last season...in the end their is some call for concern for the o-line, but I am also willing to give it a couple more games due to it being week one and a lot of teams looks sloppy and did a poor job blocking....only two backs in the entire NFL topped 100 yards rushing and 8 teams had 3 or more sacks...I'm not excusing Martins poor play because of this....just that it seems to be an epidemic in the NFL right now...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: