Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints signing former Chargers WR Robert Meachem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pookie


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 658
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
Pookie wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
We don't need a deep threat, Billy. Kenny Stills has been doing a fine job of that with his breakaway speed.

Also, frankly, I don't like this signing. Rather give our young and up incoming WRs a chance.


Stills is unproven and clearly the Saints re-signed Meachem because they believe he can help them.


I don't think they believe he can help us as a deep threat, though. They may use him to stretch the field but I don't believe we'll ever really throw it deep to Meachem, maybe the occasional play. I believe he'll be used more across the middle, but I still don't like it.


I think Meach will catch around 20 balls and will be used exclusivly as a deep threat. He'll be the 5th WR at best behind Colston, Moore, Stills and Toon.


I don't see how he would be 5th considering Andy Tanner has much more utility value and also knows how to catch a pass with his hands instead of his chest.


It doesn't really matter what he's listed on the depth chart, he'll play the same role he did when he was here before and that's to go deep. I don't mind RM playing a limited deep threat role. I would have a problem if he were featured in the offense though
_________________
New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
domepatrol91


Global Moderator
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 3886
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he comes back and plays anything like he used to for the Saints (45 catches for 700+ yards and 9 TDs) I don't mind the signing at all. People are so quick to overreact and hate the signing, but forget that he actually played quite well for us at times.

Really? We're upset that Andy Tanner might lose a roster spot over this? Do we really think Tanner has a chance to break out and be something in a WR group as deep as the Saints? I don't get it sometimes. I'm all for youth movement and doing what you can to get young guys reps and playing time, but Meach has a legit chance to contribute to this team as a deep threat, and people are upset that he may be bumping a guy who's been a fringe player for 3 years. Confused It's not like he's bumping a rookie who's shown nothing but upside... there's a reason Tanner took 3 years to catch on here.
_________________


2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks -
Corey White -
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21268
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What people seem to be forgetting is that Robert Meachem is one of the better run blocking WRs in the league. At worst, he helps us in that regard.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NS922


Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 7287
Location: New Orleans
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not some scrub just because he struggled with another team. He had success with Drew Brees and Sean Payton so let's see if he can pick up where he left off here.
_________________
#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
navysaintsfan


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 11134
Location: Frednecksburg, VA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Do we really think Tanner has a chance to break out and be something in a WR group as deep as the Saints


Yes, I actually do. Your reaction is the same I got back in 2006 when I said the same thing about Lance Moore and was told to move on. I still don't let the Saints forum forget about how right I was about Moore. I really think that Tanner had a ton of potential that a QB like Brees can bring out. I really like the kid.
_________________

Kenny Vaccaro; coming soon to a town near you to screw up your QB's day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39716
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS922 wrote:
He's not some scrub just because he struggled with another team. He had success with Drew Brees and Sean Payton so let's see if he can pick up where he left off here.


Yeah, he's one season removed from a very productive season in the Saints offense and is still 28-years old... not sure why he busted in SD, maybe he was unmotivated due to that huge contract he got... but anyway, he was probably humbled by that whole experience and been released so he could still bounce back.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20404
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Saints signing former Chargers WR Robert Meachem Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Shouldn't the headline also read that he was a Saint before going to SD? The Saints drafted him in the 1st round.


Of course he was and everyone knows that but he last played for the Chargers and there isn't enough space to write both the teams names... not sure why it even bothers you.


All I did was ask a question, Billy. Settle down.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
domepatrol91


Global Moderator
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 3886
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
Do we really think Tanner has a chance to break out and be something in a WR group as deep as the Saints


Yes, I actually do. Your reaction is the same I got back in 2006 when I said the same thing about Lance Moore and was told to move on. I still don't let the Saints forum forget about how right I was about Moore. I really think that Tanner had a ton of potential that a QB like Brees can bring out. I really like the kid.


The 2007 receiving corps wasn't nearly as deep as this one is. When Moore was first starting to gain some traction as a legit target he didn't have to fight up as deep of a depth chart as Tanner will have to. Our #3 and #4 receivers in 2007 were David Patten and Eric Johnson. He was put in a much better position to break out than Tanner is in now. Tanner will have to fight up a depth chart of younger guys who all have pretty solid upside. I'm not saying he's a bad player or doesn't have a spot in the NFL, but I don't see him every amounting to much on this team.

If we were talking about bringing in Meachem in favor of guys like Joe Morgan, Kenny Stills or Nick Toon, I'd be right there with you, but we're not. We're potentially bring him in over a guy that is honestly probably lucky to make the final 53 man roster.
_________________


2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks -
Corey White -
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23304
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
NS922 wrote:
He's not some scrub just because he struggled with another team. He had success with Drew Brees and Sean Payton so let's see if he can pick up where he left off here.


Yeah, he's one season removed from a very productive season in the Saints offense and is still 28-years old... not sure why he busted in SD, maybe he was unmotivated due to that huge contract he got... but anyway, he was probably humbled by that whole experience and been released so he could still bounce back.

It's a truly curious case. The guy admitted to "sucking last season" (his words, not mine) and in the same week that the article that quote came out of was published he owned up to effective dogging it, "running the wrong routes," and not finishing a number of the ones he ran correctly.

Look, I wish the guy well; him signing back on with the Saints prior to Week 1 got us $700k in cap space back and $745k if he finishes the season with him. But every indication as to why he bombed out in SD is a case of poor effort and bad hands (last season; I can literally name you 3 of Rivers' interceptions that are directly the result of Meachem either running the incorrect route or failing to make a proper hands catch and bumbling the ball right into the hands of a defender) and even further poor effort, seemingly due to ego (as he was rarely running with anything higher than the 3rd team once we got out of camp).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23304
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS922 wrote:
He's not some scrub just because he struggled with another team. He had success with Drew Brees and Sean Payton so let's see if he can pick up where he left off here.

No, but from the outsider-looking-in perspective the guy hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt that he can do that, not because of the fact that he did struggle with another team but because of how and why he struggled. Meachem failed with the Chargers because he was making mistakes that are common of rookies - not several-years-over veteran players and doing so consistently. He then, after fully admitting to the mistakes he made last season, came into camp this year and put no effort into improving those aspects of his game that caused him to fail last season.

He may well return to being a useful player again with a return to Brees and Payton, but it isn't just a matter of returning to a particular system or a dumbed-down role, and his recent body of work suggest it would be as, if not more, likely for him to continue to be just as lackluster as he was last year and continued to be this preseason.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abe56


Joined: 21 Nov 2005
Posts: 7056
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my draft misses. I thought Meachem was gonna be big time in the NFL.
_________________
Adopt a Jet - Muhammad Wilkerson

64 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks, 6 STF, 2 FF, 1 INT, 3 PD

2nd Team All Pro



Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wow_junky


Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 292
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
What people seem to be forgetting is that Robert Meachem is one of the better run blocking WRs in the league. At worst, he helps us in that regard.


That's a good point - he was one of PFFs top run blocking WRs in 2012 with us. Not sure we necessarily missed it last year but it's another facet to our offence that will improve this year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8561
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I get that it's a one-year deal, but haven't seen any word on what the $$'s are like. Assuming that it's for the vet minimum. Honestly, I don't get why some of you Saints fans are so down on him (not trying to say you're wrong... please enlighten me) despite his awful terribad year in SD. Wouldn't have minded if the Ravens kicked the tires, although there's not necessarily anyone I'd want to cut for him, I wouldn't be ticked though. Doesn't seem like a bad reserve guy to have.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23304
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
What people seem to be forgetting is that Robert Meachem is one of the better run blocking WRs in the league. At worst, he helps us in that regard.


That's a good point - he was one of PFFs top run blocking WRs in 2012 with us. Not sure we necessarily missed it last year but it's another facet to our offence that will improve this year

I would point out that the stats are slightly skewed by the low incidence of outside runs that Norv Turner calls and the fact that it's fairly easy for a WR on the perimeter to execute an "effective" block on a corner when the run is going at the A or B gap and nowhere near where he is on the field. This isn't speaking to his time with the Saints, but just saying...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wow_junky


Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 292
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
wow_junky wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
What people seem to be forgetting is that Robert Meachem is one of the better run blocking WRs in the league. At worst, he helps us in that regard.


That's a good point - he was one of PFFs top run blocking WRs in 2012 with us. Not sure we necessarily missed it last year but it's another facet to our offence that will improve this year

I would point out that the stats are slightly skewed by the low incidence of outside runs that Norv Turner calls and the fact that it's fairly easy for a WR on the perimeter to execute an "effective" block on a corner when the run is going at the A or B gap and nowhere near where he is on the field. This isn't speaking to his time with the Saints, but just saying...


Sorry, by 2012 I meant his last season with the Saints. Not sure how he performed last year at blocking In San Diego
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group