Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bengals re-sign OT Dennis Roland
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 22800
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
Only reason he was brought back was because of Whitworth's health concerns. Once hes healthy, Roland will be cut once again. They need another OT anyway because Andre Smith is also injured still. I don' think the team can afford to have both Collins and Hawkinson start at both OT spots and not have an extra insurance policy incase something happens to either guy.

Not gonna matter much though. As long as Whitworth starts week 1, its not a big deal.


Smith has been practicing and could have played against the Colts. I'm not worried.

Whit hasn't practiced since the week of the wild card loss. That I worry about. The rumors I have heard is that he had another cleanup procedure done during the beginning of camp.


I heard that. I am not confident that he will be starting week 1. Time for Anthony Collins to step up
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE DUKE


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 15381
Location: Centerville, OH
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely there must have been some better option for an OT spot that got waived somewhere else. It's pretty proven at this point that Roland is a sub par lineman, even by backup standards.
_________________

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LondonBengal


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3050
Location: London, England, UK
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
Ah. I was happy to see him go


I was re-watching the Bengals/Colts preseason game this weekend. Roland got beat like a drum in pass protection by the Colt's backups.

He's useful for the jumbo package in goal-line situations but he sucks as a regular tackle. Oh well...


Here's the thing about Roland.

He's not a very good tackle, he's just so huge, it takes an extra second or so to get round him.
_________________
" Democracy is a system where two idiots can out-vote a genius..........."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 38445
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Roster moves: WR Andrew Hawkins placed on IR-recall (can return Week 7), re-sign T Dennis Roland, sign QB Greg McElroy to practice squad.


https://twitter.com/Bengals/status/375255290175705088
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheVillain112


Moderator
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 15517
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
Surely there must have been some better option for an OT spot that got waived somewhere else. It's pretty proven at this point that Roland is a sub par lineman, even by backup standards.


I've seen some pretty terrible starters at Tackle, let alone backups. As much grief as we give Roland, for a #4 OT we could do a lot worse.

Thankfully we still have Anthony Collins on the team, GOAT backup Tackle... Laughing
_________________


chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
INbengalfan


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 5375
Location: Richmond, IN
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
Surely there must have been some better option for an OT spot that got waived somewhere else. It's pretty proven at this point that Roland is a sub par lineman, even by backup standards.


I wouyldn't want Roland to start. Collins would over anyone else.

The thing about signing players this week is that their contracts are guaranteed. So Roland is cheaper than any other available tackles at this point. In week 2, the contracts aren't guaranteed anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrCincinnati


Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 614
Location: Hamilton, OH
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
Only reason he was brought back was because of Whitworth's health concerns. Once hes healthy, Roland will be cut once again. They need another OT anyway because Andre Smith is also injured still. I don' think the team can afford to have both Collins and Hawkinson start at both OT spots and not have an extra insurance policy incase something happens to either guy.

Not gonna matter much though. As long as Whitworth starts week 1, its not a big deal.


Smith has been practicing and could have played against the Colts. I'm not worried.

Whit hasn't practiced since the week of the wild card loss. That I worry about. The rumors I have heard is that he had another cleanup procedure done during the beginning of camp.


Even if Smith has had full practices, he still has an injury so he could easily re-injure himself at any time, just like any player with an injury could do. Whitworth is starting to look doubtful, but also Mike Pollack might not play either and hes the only backup OG they got. The OL is very thin right now with some injuries, so they didn't have much of a choice at this point.

The depth chart though says that Hawkinson is ahead of Roland, so Roland wont play at all unless more injuries happen. Not worried. More concerned about Collins. He hasn't started at LT since like 2008. And now your putting him against one of the best DE's in the game. Not a great mix
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LondonBengal


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3050
Location: London, England, UK
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
I wouyldn't want Roland to start. Collins would over anyone else.

The thing about signing players this week is that their contracts are guaranteed. So Roland is cheaper than any other available tackles at this point. In week 2, the contracts aren't guaranteed anymore.
Part of the Roland re-signing for me is not having Connor @ FB in the run game.

As far as I'm concerned, Hawkinson and maybe Pollak are ahead of Roland as b/u tackle behind Collins. There is an awful lot of flexibility with those three guys.
_________________
" Democracy is a system where two idiots can out-vote a genius..........."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group