Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers picked by SI to make playoffs

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62613
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Steelers picked by SI to make playoffs Reply with quote

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/02/nfl-postseason-chicago-bears-dallas-cowboys/?xid=nl_siextra

Burke: Pittsburgh Steelers.

Quote:
Salary-cap woes have made it hard for the Steelers to do much in free agency over the past two seasons, beyond casting a few of their high-priced veterans out to sea. So why is this team, whose offseason pickups were more or less limited to bringing back CB William Gay and drafting a couple talents, better than the 2012 version?

It starts with a player by the name of Troy Polamalu. The Steelers’ dynamic safety missed nine games last season, neutering a lot of what the defense could do. To their credit, the Steelers still gave up less yards than any team in the NFL. But they failed to generate those key, game-changing moments that Polamalu specializes in. His presence back on the field this season will make Pittsburgh much tougher for opposing offenses — and a few more turnovers would make life easier for Ben Roethlisberger, who should have the added benefit of an improved run game alongside him.


I definitely agree. I see the Steelers in the playoffs this year. Troy's back and looks to be in better shape, same with Woodley. I think McLendon is going to be dominant at NT, especially making a pass rush up the middle.I really like what I saw from Jarvis Jones in the preseason.

On offense, it comes down to health for guys like A Brown, Miller and Issac Redman. I foresee Miller being back and making plays, Brown and Redman being healthier than last year and performing much better. On top of that, I really like the addition of Larod Stephens-Howling for speed and quickness out of the background as a change pace back and third down back.

If the OL can just be average, the team will be fine.

I see a 10-6 season for the Steelers.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until:@ Buccaneers - 1; Final Cuts 3; @ Texans 10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gatoradus


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 2216
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Steelers making playoff every year with Big Ben, problem is that we got to stay healthy. Our schemes are great but set to fail against inferior teams but to succeed against stronger oponents. Hopefully we get to fix that too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snoopydawg44us


Joined: 10 Feb 2010
Posts: 1110
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me its all about the oline and keeping no. 7 upright.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treat88


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 6425
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team has me really straddling that line between optimism and pessimism. Seems to fluctuate on a daily basis.

I guess I'm hopeful, as always, that they will make a strong playoff run. I think they have the talent and experience to do it.

That said, I'm also mentally prepared for a tough season. I don't buy into Haley's vision yet and this team seems a little more fragile than past years if a significant injury or two come along. I can see things spiraling quickly.

To me it will boil down to injuries and RZ performance. I guess that is most years tho. The ground just seems shakier this season.
_________________



"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49499
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
This team has me really straddling that line between optimism and pessimism. Seems to fluctuate on a daily basis.

I guess I'm hopeful, as always, that they will make a strong playoff run. I think they have the talent and experience to do it.

That said, I'm also mentally prepared for a tough season. I don't buy into Haley's vision yet and this team seems a little more fragile than past years if a significant injury or two come along. I can see things spiraling quickly.

To me it will boil down to injuries and RZ performance. I guess that is most years tho. The ground just seems shakier this season.


I hate rough seasons where we miss the playoffs....not even so much because we miss the playoffs but because I have to listen to alot of Steeler fans whine, cry and act like they have all the answers and that the entire team and coaching staff need replaced.

Basically, the chicken little fans and those that are simply too spoiled to handle anything other than a SB title.

And dont get me wrong, I have high exptations and this team and when they dont do well, I criticize them....but I never go overboard with it...unless a certain aspect of the team is an absolute disaster thats beyond fixing in its current state....like our OLine for several years.

Thats the funny thing...when Steelers are really optimistic, I am usually the one that SOUNDS pessimistic, and when Steeler fans are pessimistic, Im usually the one that sounds optimistic.

I am a realist....even though I love this team, I can see the team for what it is. Im not always right in my assessments but its never based on any bias views or feelings.

Last year, I truly believe we wouldve made the playoffs if not for Ben getting hurt. I believe we wouldve won the Baltimore game we lost, the Browns game (even with Ben out and the 7 or 8 turnover they barely beat us) and I believe we wouldve won at least one of the other games where Ben was shaky...most likely the Bengals game. So yes...with a healthy Ben...I think we wouldve swept the division last year.

This year, its hard to gauge. If healthy, this is a 10 win team. The defense still has talent and with LeBeau running it it will always be at least top 10 ON PAPER, our WR corps is good (not great), and even though we complain about the RBs and OLine, Steeler fans have to admit this is probably the best situation we have had in those areas since 2007 or so (at least when Bell comes back).

I see 9 to 11 wins based on pure talent, give or take a game or two depending on injuries and luck.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bobikus


Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 8601
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Bell and Miller make it on the field early I think this team could be better than our 2011 one, which was a somewhat weak 12-4 team but still 12-4.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62613
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:
This team has me really straddling that line between optimism and pessimism. Seems to fluctuate on a daily basis.

I guess I'm hopeful, as always, that they will make a strong playoff run. I think they have the talent and experience to do it.

That said, I'm also mentally prepared for a tough season. I don't buy into Haley's vision yet and this team seems a little more fragile than past years if a significant injury or two come along. I can see things spiraling quickly.

To me it will boil down to injuries and RZ performance. I guess that is most years tho. The ground just seems shakier this season.


I hate rough seasons where we miss the playoffs....not even so much because we miss the playoffs but because I have to listen to alot of Steeler fans whine, cry and act like they have all the answers and that the entire team and coaching staff need replaced.

Basically, the chicken little fans and those that are simply too spoiled to handle anything other than a SB title.

And dont get me wrong, I have high exptations and this team and when they dont do well, I criticize them....but I never go overboard with it...unless a certain aspect of the team is an absolute disaster thats beyond fixing in its current state....like our OLine for several years.

Thats the funny thing...when Steelers are really optimistic, I am usually the one that SOUNDS pessimistic, and when Steeler fans are pessimistic, Im usually the one that sounds optimistic.

I am a realist....even though I love this team, I can see the team for what it is. Im not always right in my assessments but its never based on any bias views or feelings.

Last year, I truly believe we would've made the playoffs if not for Ben getting hurt. I believe we would've won the Baltimore game we lost, the Browns game (even with Ben out and the 7 or 8 turnover they barely beat us) and I believe we would've won at least one of the other games where Ben was shaky...most likely the Bengals game. So yes...with a healthy Ben...I think we wouldve swept the division last year.

This year, its hard to gauge. If healthy, this is a 10 win team. The defense still has talent and with LeBeau running it it will always be at least top 10 ON PAPER, our WR corps is good (not great), and even though we complain about the RBs and OLine, Steeler fans have to admit this is probably the best situation we have had in those areas since 2007 or so (at least when Bell comes back).

I see 9 to 11 wins based on pure talent, give or take a game or two depending on injuries and luck.
boom! There ya go! That's the spirit and the answer I'm looking for! Cool
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until:@ Buccaneers - 1; Final Cuts 3; @ Texans 10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12365
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43, I'm with you. I really can't believe how much pessimism I'm seeing lately. Yes, there are things that didn't necessarily sit well with me, like Hawthorne getting cut, but clearly they had their reasons, so it's whatever, life goes on.

But I really ended the 2012 season with overwhelming optimism. Like 43 said, we would've made it to the playoffs had it not been for Ben's injury, in all likelihood we would have made it in as the AFCN Champs. I also believe, it would have been US playing in the Super Bowl, yes, that's how good I believe we could've been last year, if it weren't for the injury issues we had to deal with.

This year, I am extremely optimistic, I believe we are capable of 12 wins but that is not without understanding it relies on more things going right than wrong. We've got to stay healthy, most importantly BEN has to stay healthy, we have to have a much stronger running game than we did last season and honestly, I think that Felix Jones could help in that department. I don't know why, but that's how I feel about him, outside of a good initial season or two in his career he hasn't necessarily done anything to force us to feel that way, but I do. I feel like we enter this season with more options than we've had before, more versatility than we've had before and certainly more youth than we've had before.

I'm excited for this season, excited for the first game of the season, and fully expect us to be playing deep into the playoffs, maybe..just maybe, next February, our guys are getting their fingers sized for new 'gems'.
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GuttaSG3


Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our losing seasons of late have been due to injuries. I hate it when the Steelers lose as much as anyone else does, however I can see that last season we were on track to make a strong playoff run. Ben went down, and we never got that momentum back. We were on what.. A 5 game win streak?

I have high hopes, and I'm ecstatic with our draft this year. Jarvis Jones, and I really do believe in Bell and Wheaton. A lot of players are speaking highly of Wheaton and believe he will be the answer this year to Mike Wallace and his deep threat moving on to another team.

Sanders claims he is ready to step up, and we already know what Brown brings to the table. I believe our offense could be very dangerous maybe even top 10-15 if we stay healthy and get some-what of a running game going.

I am however concerned with our secondary. Too many times last year I watched some guys give up big plays. Ike needs to stay healthy and hopefully Allen steps his game up I've heard good things..

Anyone else curious as to what Plex is going to bring to the table? Back then he had really good chemistry with Ben.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SMashMouthMike


Joined: 01 Dec 2005
Posts: 4523
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone else curious as to what Plex is going to bring to the table? Back then he had really good chemistry with Ben.


Plex is out...for the season I believe. I wanted him in the redzone and 3rd downs because yes, he and Ben seemed to be able to have that type of chemistry but oh well.
_________________

Thanks Lyasr 529
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62613
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuttaSG3 wrote:
Our losing seasons of late have been due to injuries. I hate it when the Steelers lose as much as anyone else does, however I can see that last season we were on track to make a strong playoff run. Ben went down, and we never got that momentum back. We were on what.. A 5 game win streak?

I have high hopes, and I'm ecstatic with our draft this year. Jarvis Jones, and I really do believe in Bell and Wheaton. A lot of players are speaking highly of Wheaton and believe he will be the answer this year to Mike Wallace and his deep threat moving on to another team.

Sanders claims he is ready to step up, and we already know what Brown brings to the table. I believe our offense could be very dangerous maybe even top 10-15 if we stay healthy and get some-what of a running game going.

I am however concerned with our secondary. Too many times last year I watched some guys give up big plays. Ike needs to stay healthy and hopefully Allen steps his game up I've heard good things..

Anyone else curious as to what Plex is going to bring to the table? Back then he had really good chemistry with Ben.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000229582/article/plaxico-burress-put-on-injuredreserve-list-by-pittsburgh-steelers

Plax is out for the season with a torn rotator cuff.

Derek Moye made it as a WR with size and a lot of potential. I think he could give the Steelers something for the future
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until:@ Buccaneers - 1; Final Cuts 3; @ Texans 10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jarvis


Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Posts: 146
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. I think we can finish anywhere from 9-7 to 12-4 depending on health and luck.

I don't know why people think we're going to be terrible. Halfway through the season we were a serious division threat before injuries derailed us. I think even with our question marks on offense as long a Ben is healthy we can tread water and stay in the division race.

Main concerns for me are
- Playcalling - Are we going to try and control the ball or actually score Touchdowns. How often is Ben going to be allowed to No Huddle and Audible.
- How good will Bell not just after injury but overall. He's still a total unknown at this point. I'm glad we have Felix Jones (hopefully on a revive) and LSH as somewhat of safety nets just in case.
- Oline - Young high pedigree guys that need to actually show it.
- WRs - If Wheaton can step up and even be a 500 yard 5 TD type rookie we can be in business. We know what Brown and Sanders can do. Although I hated Sanders' fumbles last season.
- Heath?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whit09


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 1308
Location: East of Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess for the Stillers this year was 10 wins, based on weaker division opponents and a relatively easy schedule.

Now, I'm freaking out.
_________________

...Thanks to UofMfan909
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group