Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers trade LB Cam Johnson to the Colts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
49ersfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2012 draft was a bust as soon as it was obvious that AJ was going to be a waste (week 1 of this preseason). A backup OLB or S (robinson) doesn't change our 2012 draft outcome, which in my mind is a D grade solely because of LaMichael James, otherwise it's an F.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

straighthate wrote:
wayne87reggie wrote:
Quote:
49ers traded OLB Cam Johnson to the Colts for a conditional 2014 seventh-round pick.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7679/cam-johnson

Not enough. I get that for Haralson, but I'd think 5th or at the very least 6th. He performed better in the preseason than you'd expect a 5th to, and he's in his second year. Just don't see the point in stacking up 7th rounders. They're not gonna make the team anyway.

Cam Johnson was the 237th pick of the draft the year he was selected(2012). Unless the Colts make it to the AFC Championship game the pick they will send is likely to be higher than that so really we get more than what was spent to get Cam in the first place. preseason against backups won't boost your value in the league. On field performance against starters will.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
RedWhiteNGold wrote:
Don't really get why we're dumping all our OLBs.

We still have 4. Everyone thought 5 was a bit much and that Cam was a cut candidate a few days ago.

I still consider Skuta an ILB. He's more of an emergency OLB. He's not someone I want rotating on D, really. But that gives more playing time to Lemonier, which is fine by me. I just don't like where it leaves us if someone gets injured. Maybe we'd have to play more 4-3 instead, which is also fine by me.

Skuta played 0 preseason snaps at ILB, playing only as an OLB, and the pressure he got (from what I watched) was more consistent than Johnson through the first 3 games (the last game, Johnson really broke out).

I certainly don't mind keeping only 4 OLBs (we kept only 3 last year). If anything - this signals that Lemonier is going to have a huge role on this team.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 317
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 1045
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
RedWhiteNGold wrote:

We still have 4. Everyone thought 5 was a bit much and that Cam was a cut candidate a few days ago.

I still consider Skuta an ILB. He's more of an emergency OLB. He's not someone I want rotating on D, really. But that gives more playing time to Lemonier, which is fine by me. I just don't like where it leaves us if someone gets injured. Maybe we'd have to play more 4-3 instead, which is also fine by me.

Skuta played 0 preseason snaps at ILB, playing only as an OLB, and the pressure he got (from what I watched) was more consistent than Johnson through the first 3 games (the last game, Johnson really broke out).

I certainly don't mind keeping only 4 OLBs (we kept only 3 last year). If anything - this signals that Lemonier is going to have a huge role on this team.

To add on to that post - it's also sorta absurd to think Skuta would be the MLB, as that would mean we kept 6 inside linebackers (Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite, Moody, Stupar, Skuta) and only 3 OLBs (Brooks, Aldon, Lemonier).

757-NINER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedWhiteNGold wrote:

San Deigo game aside, Cam's play had been very 'meh'. Cam showed up the last game but overall, he didn't really have a stellar preseason. I think we have plenty of OLB depth with Skuta and Lemonier. The fact that they flipped Cam's one good game into a conditonal 7th rounder(which could end up being a 6th) just shows how saavy Baalke is. Not worried. Remember, when Tank comes back, he can(and probably will) play some DE in nickel situations. Essentially, another OLB we can use to rush the passer.

Last edited by 757-NINER on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, Harbaugh gave two game balls after the last pre-season game, one to Johnson who he traded and one to Hawkins who he released Laughing

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-locker-room-mvps/0ap2000000236783/Jim-Harbaugh-s-postgame-locker-room-speech
Tom Brady Tribute
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
RedWhiteNGold wrote:

San Deigo game aside, Cam's play had been very 'meh'. Cam showed up the last game but overall, he didn't really have a stellar preseason. I think we have plenty of OLB depth with Skuta and Lemonier. The fact that they flipped Cam's one good game into a conditonal 7th rounder(which could end up being a 6th) just shows how saavy Baalke is. Not worried. Remember, when Tank comes back, he can(and probably will) play some DE in nickel situations. Essentially, another OLB we can use to rush the passer.

This is a great point. Another really good way of looking at it:

We have Dobbs, Manningham, Crabtree, Wright, Carradine, and Dial all coming back at some point this season.

If you can find 6 players who'd be cut before Cam Johnson would have been, then it might not be a good deal. Otherwise, we just got a draft pick for someone who was only, in essence, a temp on the team.

757-NINER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
RedWhiteNGold wrote:

We have Dobbs, Manningham, Crabtree, Wright, Carradine, and Dial all coming back at some point this season.

If you can find 6 players who'd be cut before Cam Johnson would have been, then it might not be a good deal. Otherwise, we just got a draft pick for someone who was only, in essence, a temp on the team.

Excalty. Or look at it like this. If Crabs, MM, and Tank were healthy, would Cam have made the 53? I seriously doubt that. I ALWAYS thought he was PS-bound, eve after the Chargers game. I probably would have kept him over Stupar and Ventrone but they obviously saw an opportunity to flip him for a draft pick and took it.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
It's funny, Harbaugh gave two game balls after the last pre-season game, one to Johnson who he traded and one to Hawkins who he released Laughing

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-locker-room-mvps/0ap2000000236783/Jim-Harbaugh-s-postgame-locker-room-speech

Come to think about it, Alex Smith probably got a game ball for his near perfect performance against the Cardinals prior to his benching.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Come to think about it, Alex Smith probably got a game ball for his near perfect performance against the Cardinals prior to his benching.

Jim Harbaugh Game Ball = Death Sentence.
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

RedWhiteNGold wrote:

I'm sniffing a move to a 43 defense. Aldon and lemon could play de
49ersfan

i think this trade shows that he was on the bubble anyway. rather than lose him to waivers for nothing, at least get a pick for him.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
RedWhiteNGold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
RedWhiteNGold wrote:

Excalty. Or look at it like this. If Crabs, MM, and Tank were healthy, would Cam have made the 53? I seriously doubt that. I ALWAYS thought he was PS-bound, eve after the Chargers game. I probably would have kept him over Stupar and Ventrone but they obviously saw an opportunity to flip him for a draft pick and took it.

I like the idea of getting a pick for a temp. Makes sense. Still don't particularly have faith in skuta though. Thats all
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
RedWhiteNGold wrote:

I'm sniffing a move to a 43 defense. Aldon and lemon could play de

Moreso the fact that we had too many OLBs and Cam was probably a placeholder for another player.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
RedWhiteNGold wrote:

Okay... so I already know how to sing, but I can't dance, and I want to be in a Broadway musical. Do I take more singing lesson, or I take dance lessons? Skuta already knew ILB, it would make sense, if he has some of the skillset, to work him out almost exclusively at OLB in order to improve at that position, because he already knows ILB. But that's pointless to my... well, point. My point is that, while he will be listed at OLB, I don't expect him to play OLB at all. Whenever we give one of our OLBs a breather, we'll either play 4-3 (with Bowman sliding outside), or play Lemonier. I don't really see a circumstance where Dan Skuta will be one of our 11 best defenders, where he will need to be on the field at all.

But if Aldon or Ahmad gets injured, are we really good with having Skuta see significant playing time, as a rotating player, or worse, if we have another injury to an OLB? I'm not comfortable with that at all.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: