Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft prospects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say we go FS first 4 rounds. While Robert Golden could progress into a starting caliber free safety, I think we ought to go with a player that has higher ceiling albeit ballhawking with solid tackling abilities. The free safeties in 2014 class seem to lack a top echo safety but has deep pool for safeties and that's why I suspect we go down that direction, heck we got to replace DCS anyway.

Also I'm afraid we are in the situaton where we draft an offensive lineman in first 3 rounds just to be a back-up (probably a short-term plan) to supplant Beachem so we can finally start Beachem if we have that luxury, because we don't Beachem is on the bench waiting for his time.

I also see that the tide is about to turn around as we will have depth back for the offense.

Because of the direction this draft (2014) is heading I expect top 15 prospects to be substracted by end of season because they aren't likely to be there. A strong class with stronger upperclassmen talents and prospects that got GMs drooling.

Random- but do anybody think Tajh Boyd will go first? I sure do so.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say we go FS first 4 rounds. While Robert Golden could progress into a starting caliber free safety, I think we ought to go with a player that has higher ceiling albeit ballhawking with solid tackling abilities. The free safeties in 2014 class seem to lack a top echo safety but has deep pool for safeties and that's why I suspect we go down that direction, heck we got to replace DCS anyway.

Also I'm afraid we are in the situaton where we draft an offensive lineman in first 3 rounds just to be a back-up (probably a short-term plan) to supplant Beachem so we can finally start Beachem if we have that luxury, because we don't Beachem is on the bench waiting for his time.

I also see that the tide is about to turn around as we will have depth back for the offense.

Because of the direction this draft (2014) is heading I expect top 15 prospects to be substracted by end of season because they aren't likely to be there. A strong class with stronger upperclassmen talents and prospects that got GMs drooling.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
Barr is extremely athletic but has little to no pass rush skills, he relies totally on his speed and athleticism and if anyone gets in front of him he's shut down. That being said he'll most likely be top 10. At the moment I have him at 13 I believe, but thats on my board not where I believe he will be selected.
I'm more fond of Kyle Van Noy's all around game.

Huge fan of Van Noy. He reminds me of the guy Miami took in round 1. I feel we need to address the IOL and my man crush is Gabe Jackson of MS ST. Dude is an all around beast and reminds me of a more mobile Wafford. He is huge at 6'3 335 and I feel he is an upgrade over Foster.

I do also see Jackson as the highest rated guard and to my concern I have him rated as my #5 overall. My concern being I need to see more to verify my opinion. Going into the off season and my viewing of his games I thought he was overhyped . He changed my opinion.

As to other ideas I've seen posted. I like Tajh Boyd but have him as my #3 QB. To surprise many Bridgewater is not ahead of him on my list at this point. If you watch a game like Cincinnatti vs Louisville you will see much of my concern validated. I do however have two surprises ahead of Boyd because I like their mechanics, decision making, experience and abilities under duress, but its early and QB's senior years are very telling.

...you have a forum resume?
chrisororke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILB -- Andrew Jackson, AJ Johnson (2nd-3rd rd guys) I don't like Andrew Jackson making hits like he did vs Kentucky bc he will get too much recognition. He is AMAZING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=151OYT23VbA (Kendrell Bell Junior?)

DL -- Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix III (top 10-15 guys)

CB -- Ifo Ekpre-Olomu/Bradley Roby (1st rd guys), Darqueze Dennard

WR -- Sammy Watkins, Donte Moncrief, Brandon Coleman, (1st rd guys)

LB/S hybrid -- Ryan Shazier, Kyle Van Noy, Christian Jones (maybe Mac LBs or Steve Atwater types). I believe this is where we're headed in Goodell NFL. I expect fewer DL and more guys that can play on their feet in space

OLB -- Jackson Jeffcoat, Aaron Lynch (1st/2nd)

OT -- Antonio Richardson (1st round)

I think DL, CB, ILB will be the biggest needs in the offseason. Hood/Keisel should not be back. Ike might not be back or hopefully he just takes a pay cut bc we're already 6M over the cap next year. I think Foote will once again shows he sucks so a replacement needs brought in. Hopefully, Spence comes back.

Sanders will absolutely not be back not bc he isn't talented but he'll get something like 5 years/30M and we can't give him that. Watch NE again as a possible destination.

If I could pick three as an early mock draft, Say if we go 6-10 on the year

1) Stephon Tuitt DL
2) Andrew Jackson ILB
3) Darqueze Dennard CB

If I could pick one CB it would have to be Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. If we make the playoffs he could be in play in the 20's. Check him out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM5-orWujdU
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
ILB -- Andrew Jackson, AJ Johnson (2nd-3rd rd guys) I don't like Andrew Jackson making hits like he did vs Kentucky bc he will get too much recognition. He is AMAZING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=151OYT23VbA (Kendrell Bell Junior?)

DL -- Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix III (top 10-15 guys)

CB -- Ifo Ekpre-Olomu/Bradley Roby (1st rd guys), Darqueze Dennard

WR -- Sammy Watkins, Donte Moncrief, Brandon Coleman, (1st rd guys)

LB/S hybrid -- Ryan Shazier, Kyle Van Noy, Christian Jones (maybe Mac LBs or Steve Atwater types). I believe this is where we're headed in Goodell NFL. I expect fewer DL and more guys that can play on their feet in space

OLB -- Jackson Jeffcoat, Aaron Lynch (1st/2nd)

OT -- Antonio Richardson (1st round)

I think DL, CB, ILB will be the biggest needs in the offseason. Hood/Keisel should not be back. Ike might not be back or hopefully he just takes a pay cut bc we're already 6M over the cap next year. I think Foote will once again shows he sucks so a replacement needs brought in. Hopefully, Spence comes back.

Sanders will absolutely not be back not bc he isn't talented but he'll get something like 5 years/30M and we can't give him that. Watch NE again as a possible destination.

If I could pick three as an early mock draft, Say if we go 6-10 on the year

1) Stephon Tuitt DL
2) Andrew Jackson ILB
3) Darqueze Dennard CB

If I could pick one CB it would have to be Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. If we make the playoffs he could be in play in the 20's. Check him out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM5-orWujdU

Tuitt has a nice size and frame and room to grow but his game hasn't validated that type of pick. Louis Nix on the other hand should be a very desirable commodity come draft time and I also see him as a top 15 pick based on last years work.

I also have Antonio Richardson very high, should he have a solid year and not go backwards he is a top 10 pick. His size, strength and ability cant be easily found.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:

Good to see youre back to make more baseless comments.

Sanders is plenty talented. He isnt going to ever be elite but he is more than capable of being a quality number 2 or a very good slot guy.

Im sure if Sanders isnt good this year, youll be back to praise yourself. And if youre wrong, yet again, youll just disappear.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:

Teddy Bridgewater- he's a better passer

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough baseline of needs next year...

-CB
-TE

Those 2 are for sure...then you have a lot of "maybes"

-FS(Golden)
-ILB(Williams)
-DE(Hood brought back?)
-WR(If Sanders leaves, need at least 2 bodies)
-RB(no one under contract besides Bell)

That's not factoring in if Woodley goes nuts on nearest buffet table or if any of the young guys on OL dont develop as planned.

Hell the OL needs depth even if everyone develops as planned(and hoped).

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Yes, but at the same time you can't look at the entire roster and think that OLB should be selected over a OT, CB or FS.

sure you can.

1. Adams has a substantially higher ceiling than any LT we've had other than Marvel Smith, and Gilbert is better than Colon.

2. OLB is the most important position on our defense, so if "the right guy" is there, then definitely. Of course, the FO and coaching staff thinks JJones is "the right guy", so I'll be amazed if we go OLB

3. CB is a position of desperate need. We have no depth, and we are hurting. That said, I'm fairly confident we'll draft another 5-technique

4. FS may or may not be a position of need depending on how Robert Golden progresses. I still think Curtis Brown should get moved there.
Thanks for proving my point. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

Bridgewater has a stronger arm, a very strong arm but is not a better passer. Change the tape and watch a game like the Cincy game, you'll think its a different player. He has a lot of potential but be patient with the overhype. As i recall this time last year just about everybody had Geno Smith as the next coming because of his performances against William & Mary etc.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

Bridgewater has a stronger arm, a very strong arm but is not a better passer. Change the tape and watch a game like the Cincy game, you'll think its a different player. He has a lot of potential but be patient with the overhype. As i recall this time last year just about everybody had Geno Smith as the next coming because of his performances against William & Mary etc.
I've been watching him since he played his first college game. To me, Bridgewater's form is much more fluid than Boyd's. I think he has much more potential as a drop back passer than Boyd does. Boyd to me seems like the better athlete but not the better passer.

I would not be one of those that had Geno Smith as the #1 pick last year and I went to WVU, so you're speaking to the choir there.

I'd agree with this analysis of Boyd.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/7/18/4534728/tajh-boyd-2014-nfl-draft-preseason-scouting-report

And this of Bridgewater's:

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014tbridgewater.php

Question, weren't you the guy who was hyping Jeff Demps?

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

I've been watching him since he played his first college game. To me, Bridgewater's form is much more fluid than Boyd's. I think he has much more potential as a drop back passer than Boyd does. Boyd to me seems like the better athlete but not the better passer.

I would not be one of those that had Geno Smith as the #1 pick last year and I went to WVU, so you're speaking to the choir there.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/7/18/4534728/tajh-boyd-2014-nfl-draft-preseason-scouting-report

I seem to recollect you as being one of those hyping him for the Heisman though. Correct me if I'm wrong but of anyone in this forum you're the first one I think of when it comes to Geno Smith hype. If you're trying to get personal because you don't like my disagreement with your opinion of Bridgewater I'm quite sure I have a list of questions for you Redskin fan. I said I didn't see Bridgewater as the #1 QB, and that I have seen flaws and concerns, I didn't call him trash.

I try not to concern myself with what anybody else says really when it comes to scouting reports I don't get my information there and I don't want to taint my opinion. It's like different interpretations of a painting. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I do my homework.

I liked Demps as a late round prospect, he proved worthy of that. He made a pro roster and still would be on one but he'd prefer to also continue his pursuit of an Olympic gold medal, which is extremely realistic. I don't believe I was too far off there on the interest in a world class athlete that has also succeeded in the toughest conference in college football.

Last edited by JustPlainNasty on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:

If Sanders isn't back, I honestly believe it'll be because Pittsburgh didn't want him back aka he didn't improve.

I do believe that if he improves, they will do what they can to keep him.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

I seem to recollect you as being one of those hyping him for the Heisman though. Correct me if I'm wrong but of anyone in this forum you're the first one I think of when it comes to Geno Smith hype. If you're trying to get personal because you don't like my disagreement with your opinion of Bridgewater I'm quite sure I have a list of questions for you Redskin fan. I said I didn't see Bridgewater as the #1 QB, and that I have seen flaws and concerns, I didn't call him trash.

I try not to concern myself with what anybody else says really when it comes to scouting reports I don't get my information there and I don't want to taint my opinion. It's like different interpretations of a painting. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I do my homework.

I liked Demps as a late round prospect, he proved worthy of that. He made a pro roster and still would be on one but he'd prefer to also continue his pursuit of an Olympic gold medal, which is extremely realistic. I don't believe I was too far off there on the interest in a world class athlete that has also succeeded in the toughest conference in college football.
Yeah, Geno Smith for Heisman wasn't far fetched for most of last season. I'm not sure i hyped it though, for the longest I thought Barkely would get it until he got hurt. He was my front runner.

I never said you called Bridgewater trash. I'm just not quite sure that he has more flaws than Boyd. I also don't base my opinions off one game (Cincinnati game). Did you watch what Bridgewater did to Floyd, Elam, Bostic, Jenkins, Evans, Purifouy, Roberson and the Florida defense as well as all the other teams he faced?

I mean, you're the one who's saying Bridgewater is all hype which is clearly not true. You're the one who's telling me that I'm just believing hype, which nothing could be further from the truth.

What are these great flaws you see in Bridgewaters game? And how is Boyd better?

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never said he was all hype. You're just making that up.

I said "be patient with the overhype". Clearly two different ideas unless you read the English language differently than the rest of us.

I've watched more games than the Cincy one but a lot is learned from a game like that where he struggles rather than a game where everything goes right.

One big thing about Geno Smith that everyone failed to look for while he was racking up yards with the benefit of having Tavon Austin and playing teams like William & Mary. How he handled situations when he threw under duress and can he make NFL style throws with accuracy and touch especially in those situations which was more an every down reality in the NFL.

Bridgewater can rifle it no doubt. So could a lot of prospects that have fell by the wayside. I am by no means dismissing Teddy, just am scaling back my judgement and cautiously not jumping on the bandwagon. Lets just say he in no way has earned the hype of a #2 overall pick quite yet in my eyes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: